2010 Movie News Archives
February 18, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks "Crisis on Two Earths"Executive Producer Bruce Timm offers New Insights on "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" and "The Spectre"
Gina Torres joins panel for West Coast Premiere of "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" on Thursday, Feb. 18 at The Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills
New Additional Seating added for Media, Fans
Executive producer Bruce Timm offers new perspective on the creation of "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths," the latest entry in the ongoing series of DC Universe animated original movies, and "The Spectre," the inaugural DC Showcase animated short, in an all-new Q&A with the guru of super hero animation.
Timm will be joined by filmmakers and cast members on Thursday night at The Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills for the West Coast Premiere of "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths." The premiere is presented by Warner Home Video, Newsarama and The Paley Center for Media. The screening will commence at 7:00 p.m.
Gina Torres, the seductively powerful voice of Superwoman, has joined the panel of filmmakers and cast members to follow the screening. Josh Keaton and Vanessa Marshall, the voices of Flash and Wonder Woman, respectively, will also be on hand to field questions.
Filmmakers slated to attend are co-directors Lauren Montgomery and Sam Liu, dialogue/casting director Andrea Romano and screenwriter Dwayne McDuffie.
NOTE: A limited number of new seats for media and fans are now available.
A red carpet media line will be open starting at 5:45 p.m. with all above talent available for interviews. Media wishing to attend the premiere should RSVP via email to WHVRSVP@gmail.com, or contact Gary Miereanu at 818-427-9469.
Fans in the Los Angeles area wishing to receive free tickets to the event must RSVP via email justiceleagueLA@newsarama.com. Tickets will be distributed on a "first come, first served" basis, and fans are encouraged to arrive early to ensure good seating for the 7:00 p.m. screening and panel. Limited edition prizes will be awarded to select members of the audience during the Q&A panel session following the screening, including "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" script covers signed by the entire cast, autographed copies of the Blu-ray and DVD, and two mounted posters signed by Thursday night's panel.
Warner Home Video will distribute the full-length animated Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths on February 23 as a Special Edition 2-disc version on DVD and , Blu-RayTM Hi-Def, as well as single disc DVD, and On Demand and Download.
Timm, the executive producer on "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths," has been the creative force behind many of Warner Bros. Animation's modern-day successes, elevating DC Comics' canon of super heroes to new heights of animated popularity and introducing generations of new fans to the characters via landmark television series and made-for-DVD films. The latter task includes the creation of the current series of DC Universe animated original movies, which have drawn critical acclaim and further whetted the public's appetite for comic book entertainment. "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" is the seventh film in the ongoing DC Universe series.
And here's what Mr. Timm had to say...
Question: What excites you about Juctice League: Crisis on Two Earths?
Bruce Timm: In a weird kind of way, this is a return to my favorite show Justice League Unlimited. The original script was intended to be the bridge story between Justice League and Justice League Unlimited to explain how we went from seven heroes to more than 50 super heroes. We loved the story and the script, and it floated around here for years while we tried to figure out what to do with it - it was considered for a comic, but fortunately that got shot down. Then we took a look at it and, with just a few slight tweaks, we jumped at the chance to make it a DC Universe movie.
Question: What sets it apart from the TV version of Justice League?
Bruce Timm: It's a very satisfying, grand scale adventure movie with a big cast of interesting, quirky characters. It's amazing how much it feels like a great episode of Justice League Unlimited as a big, epic film with slightly different visual stylings. That's a good thing.
Question: Did this film present challenges that the first six DC Universe movies did not?
Bruce Timm: The biggest challenge, and this is kind of esoteric, was that we had to find the line between the original source material and making it feel like a stand-alone movie so anyone that didn't watch JLU could follow it. We really didn't have to tweak the script too much - I think about 95 percent remains untouched. In terms of visual styling, we also wanted it to stand on its own and not necessarily as a continuation of the old show. We have this brilliant character designer - Phil Bourassa - who draws in a style similar to my own in terms of simplicity, but slightly different. So it doesn't look 180 degrees away from the old show, but it definitely feels unique.
Question: What are the benefits of having two directors on the same film?
Bruce Timm: The positive for Sam and Lauren is that having two directors lightens the workload, because it's a big movie. They have similar strengths, and they're both very good at what they do. They're both all around talented in terms of understanding story, acting, the emotional core of the story, and they're both really good at directing big crazy action scenes. But they're methodology is different. Sam thinks a lot, he's very analytical. Lauren is more intuitive about everything. I just kind of stayed out of it when they had disagreements - fortunately I never had to be the tiebreaker, They just worked things out between the two of them.
Question: What are Dwayne McDuffie's strengths?
Bruce Timm: Dwayne is really well-rounded as a writer - he knows comics inside and out, he understands the lore, he knows what makes a good super hero story, and at the same time he's really good with character dynamics and conflict. Plus he's one of the best dialogue writers in the business.
Question: Of this fairly huge casdt, do you have a favorite character?
Bruce Timm: In this story, it's probably Owlman. He's a fascinating character himself, but the dynamic with Superwoman is so messed up as a couple, and yet really appealing in a weird kind of way. It's a little similar to JLU's relationship between The Question and Huntress. Superwoman is this badass hot chick, and he's the quiet, brainy, nerd guy. They're an interesting, odd couple. Plus I loved both James' (Woods) and Gina's (Torres) performances - they were spot-on. The amazing thing is we like to get all the actors to record as an ensemble, but in this case it wasn't feasible, So they never met or performed together, but they totally mesh. It's such an interesting chemistry considering they've never even met.
Question: You've brought another all-star cast to this film. Anything fans don't know about the casting choices this time around?
Bruce Timm: There's an interesting side note in that Vanessa Marshall, who plays Wonder Woman, came this close to playing the role in Justice League. We were down to the final two choices, and they were neck and neck. The thing about Vanessa is that she sounded perfect for Wonder Woman - exactly what she should sound like. But Susan Eisenberg had this vulnerability. We thought it would be interesting to not play her to type, which ultimately played really well. When it came to casting for this movie, we thought, "What if we go down the road not taken?" So we opted for Vanessa in a full-length movie and she is great.
Question: "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" includes the premiere of the first DC Showcase animation short, "The Spectre." How have the DC Showcase shorts changed your work day?
Bruce Timm: The DC Showcase is fun because it gives us an opportunity to play with characters that maybe don't have a broad enough marquee value to support their own movie. As much as I like Batman, Superman, etc., the more lower tier, offbeat characters are really fascinating to me. It's fun to mess around with others characters in the DC Universe. Super heroes are great, but it's nice to do a change of pace, and that's a lot of what we've done here. "The Spectre" is a supernatural thriller,; "Jonah Hex" is a western, and so on. So the Showcase is giving us a chance to stretch different muscles.
Question: After taking a break from episodic TV for the past several years, are you enjoying a return to the short-form with the DC Showcase?
Bruce Timm: The interesting thing is these are really short form - they're half as long as a half-hour TV episode. So the story has to be really tight and condensed - you have to cut away the fat, but it can't be just wall-to-wall action. It still has to be a story. Fortunately we're working with some really great writers, and because of that, every time we roll tape on these shorts, they feel like you've watched a whole episode of something. There's a clear beginning, middle and end - a full story. So mission accomplished.
Question: What made Steve Niles the right guy to write "The Spectre," and how did you lure him into writing an animated short?
Bruce Timm: I've admired Steve Niles' work for a long time and, honestly, it would have never occurred to me to approach him. That was Todd Casey's suggestion. He contacted Steve, and Steve was thrilled to get the assignment. He's a big Michael Fleisher/Jim Aparo fan, and a big fan of "The Spectre" - especially that 1970s era of the character. Steve is very into crime fiction and horror, so he was the perfect writer for it.
Question: Does "The Spectre" hold any special significance for you?
Bruce Timm: "The Spectre" was one of my favorite characters back in the 70s. Even by today's standards, those comics are pretty hard core, and they were written in 1974, I don't know how they got some of that stuff past the comic code. It was so different from any other comic on the stands. It's really dark, really nasty. The character is pretty easy to understand - he's the dark avenger of the night, even more so than Batman. He punishes bad guys in horrible, horrible ways. He's like the benign Freddie Krueger. I've wanted to use "The Spectre" for a long, long time and we never had a opportunity to do it, and this was our chance to go hog wild with him.
For more information, images and updates, please visit the film's official website at www.JUSTICELEAGUECRISIS.com.
Here are links to an all-new 96-second clip from "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths":
2010 Movie NewsListed below are all the Movie News items archived for 2010 organized into various categories:
New Movie News:
- January 4, 2010: Mark Millar's Dream Superman Cast
- January 26, 2010: Brandon Routh Talks About Returning to Superman
- February 3, 2010: Warner Bros. Set to Announce DC Comics Movies
- February 9, 2010: Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?
- February 17, 2010: Mark Millar's Brief Brush with Superman
- February 20, 2010: Diane Nelson Says Nolan News is Just Rumor
- February 24, 2010: David Goyer to Write Man of Steel Movie?
- February 25, 2010: Confusion Reigns Over Superman Movie Rumors
- February 27, 2010: Jonah Nolan to Direct Superman Movie?
- March 10, 2010: Nolan and Goyer Confirm Involvement on Superman Movie
- March 19, 2010: Nolan Talks Superman But is Quiet on JLA Movie
- March 19, 2010: Superman Movie to be 3D
- March 26, 2010: Matthew Vaughn on His Brief Superman Discussion
- April 21, 2010: Dark Knight Producer Talks Superman Movie
- April 28, 2010: Superman Amongst Films to be Released in IMAX
- May 18, 2010: Brandon Routh Talks About New Superman Movie
- May 27, 2010: Superman Movie Set for Holiday Season 2012
- June 3, 2010: Nolan Reaffirms His Excitement for New Superman Movie
- June 14, 2010: Nolan Talks Batman, Superman and 3D Movies
- June 27, 2010: Christopher Nolan Talks Casting Superman
- July 8, 2010: Could Chris Columbus Direct Superman?
- July 13, 2010: Is Jonathan Nolan Directing Superman?
- July 15, 2010: A TV Star Being Considered for Superman Movie?
- July 20, 2010: Superman Movie Script Rumors
- July 21, 2010: LA Times Examines DC Superhero Movies
- July 25, 2010: Joe Manganiello in Running for Superman Film Role?
- July 28, 2010: Jon Hamm as Superman?
- August 3, 2010: Zachary Levi Not in Contention for Man of Steel
- August 4, 2010: Should Brandon Routh Play Superman Again?
- September 16, 2010: Jon Hamm Clueless About Superman Rumors
- September 17, 2010: DC Comics to Play Bigger Role at WB
- September 18, 2010: Jon Hamm Believes He's Too Old To Be Superman
- September 18, 2010: Del Toro Turned Down Directing Next Superman Movie
- September 22, 2010: Diane Nelson Clarifies Announcement Misquote
- September 24, 2010: Chris Nolan Interviewing Possible Superman Directors?
- September 25, 2010: Directors on Nolan's Alleged Short List Respond
- September 27, 2010: Could Darren Aronofsky Direct Superman Movie?
- September 28, 2010: Natalie Portman Could Be Lois Lane
- September 30, 2010: Add Robert Zemeckis to the Possible Director List
- October 2, 2010: Matt Reeves Not Approached for Superman Movie
- October 4, 2010: Zack Snyder Hired to Direct Superman Movie
- October 5, 2010: More Comments from Zack Snyder on Directing Superman
- October 10, 2010: Snyder Says New Superman Not Related to Previous Films
- October 13, 2010: Zod Just a Rumor for Superman Movie
- October 13, 2010: Fan Made Superman Movie Trailer
- October 15, 2010: New Superman Movie Not a Remake
- October 15, 2010: M. Night Knocked Back Directing Superman
- October 17, 2010: Snyder Says Routh Will Be Considered for Superman Role
- October 18, 2010: Snyder Uncertain About Superman in 3D
- October 21, 2010: Another Zack Snyder Interview About Superman
- October 21, 2010: Snyder Looking for Middle-Aged Superman?
- October 28, 2010: Hans Zimmer Talks Superman Movie Music
- October 30, 2010: Donner Says Snyder is Good Director
- November 1, 2010: Zemeckis Says He Turned Down Superman
- November 1, 2010: Mark Waid Talks Superman Movies
- November 4, 2010: Zack Snyder Promises Different Superman Movie
- November 7, 2010: Joe Manganiello Negotiating to Play Superman
- November 8, 2010: Bryan Singer's Thoughts on Snyder's Superman Movie
- November 11, 2010: Jon Hamm Talks Middle-Aged Superman
- November 15, 2010: Ratner Envious But Happy For Snyder
- November 18, 2010: The Search For Movie Superman
- November 22, 2010: Superman Movie Casting Sides Posted
- November 22, 2010: Latest Superman Movie Casting Rumor - Matthew Goode
- November 23, 2010: Dwayne Johnson: I Would Make a Great Superman!
- November 23, 2010: DiCaprio Persuaded Efron Away From Superman
- November 27, 2010: Casting Not Yet Started on Superman Movie?
- November 28, 2010: Affleck Talks Superman Movie
- December 1, 2010: Snyder Given Free Reign Over Superman?
- December 1, 2010: Hans Zimmer Scoring New Superman Movie
- December 3, 2010: Kristina Anapau as Lois Lane?
- December 6, 2010: Hans Zimmer Not Scoring Superman
- December 6, 2010: Joe Manganiello Answers Superman Rumors
- December 17, 2010: Superman Movie Shooting in Vancouver
- December 21, 2010: David Goyer's Thoughts on Superman: Secret Origin
- January 7, 2010: Bruce Davidson Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- January 14, 2010: Rumor Control - No Lois Lane in Crisis on Two Earths
- January 19, 2010: First Official Clip From Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- January 21, 2010: More Fight Scenes from Crisis on Two Earths
- January 25, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- January 26, 2010: Crisis on Two Earths Website Updated
- January 27, 2010: Andrea Romano Discusses Casting Crisis on Two Earths
- February 2, 2010: New Clip from Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- February 5, 2010: Big-Screen Premieres for Crisis on Two Earths
- February 8, 2010: Get Your Crisis on Two Earths Virtual Collector Cards
- February 9, 2010: Superman/Batman - Journey to the Dark Side?
- February 17, 2010: James Woods Talks Owlman in Crisis on Two Earths
- February 17, 2010: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Updates
- February 18, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- February 19, 2010: Lauren Montgomery Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- February 19, 2010: Crisis on Two Earths Interview and Sneak Peek
- February 22, 2010: Bruce Timm on Crisis on Two Earths and Beyond
- February 22, 2010: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Soundtrack
- February 23, 2010: Gina Torres Talks Superwoman on Crisis on Two Earths
- February 23, 2010: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Interviews
- February 25, 2010: James Woods Talks Owlman on Crisis on Two Earths
- May 27, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Animated Movie
- June 25, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse DVD Artwork
- June 28, 2010: Summer Glau is Supergirl in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- June 29, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Official Press Release
- July 2, 2010: Australian Release of Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- July 5, 2010: Pre-Order Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- July 10, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Trailer Online
- July 15, 2010: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- July 16, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Australian Release
- July 20, 2010: Secret Origins: The Story of DC Comics Panel at SDCC
- July 22, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Australian Release
- July 27, 2010: Dwayne McDuffie's Next Project an All-Star Superman Animated Feature
- August 2, 2010: Superman/Batman Animated Clips and Behind-the-Scenes Footage
- August 6, 2010: George Newbern Returns as Superman in Superman/Shazam
- August 10, 2010:DC Showcase Original Shorts Details
- August 10, 2010: Superman/Shazam Interview with Director Joaquim Dos Santos
- August 10, 2010: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- August 11, 2010: Secret Origin - The Story of DC Comics DVD
- August 11, 2010: DC Comics Documentary Coming November 2010
- August 12, 2010: Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics Trailer
- August 12, 2010: ITunes Offers Superman: Doomsday with Bonus Content
- August 26, 2010: Ed Asner Returns as Granny Goodness in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 1, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Premiere Announced
- September 4, 2010: DVD Back Cover Art for Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- September 4, 2010: DVD Back Cover Art for Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics
- September 15, 2010: New Video Clip from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 17, 2010: Kevin Conroy Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 17, 2010: All-Star Superman Animated Cast Confirmed
- September 18, 2010: New Preview Video Clip From Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 20, 2010: New Clip from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 22, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 23, 2010: More Red Carpet Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Interviews
- September 23, 2010: Summer Glau Introduces New Clip from Apocalypse
- September 23, 2010: All-Star Superman Trailer Debuts Online
- September 23, 2010: Tim Daly Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 26, 2010: More Apocalypse LA Premiere Red Carpet Interviews
- September 27, 2010: Tim Daly Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 28, 2010: Summer Glau Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 28, 2010: Lauren Montgomery Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 28, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - Comic Book Comparison
- October 4, 2010: Warner Home Video Spotlights Superman at NYCC
- October 6, 2010: Superman Movie Inspired by Birthright Comic?
- October 10, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks All-Star Superman Animated Movie
- October 10, 2010: Michael Jelenic Talks Superman/Shazam Animated Short
- October 20, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks All-Star Superman Animated Movie
- November 2, 2010: Michael Jelenic Talks Superman/Shazam!
- November 3, 2010: Superman/Shazam Preview Clip
- November 7, 2010: Superman/Shazam Preview Clip #2
- November 9, 2010: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- November 9, 2010: Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics
- November 9, 2010: DC Showcase Director Jaoquim Dos Santos
- November 29, 2010: All-Star Superman Animated Movie Details
- December 13, 2010: All-Star Superman Back Cover Artwork
- January 4, 2010: Superman Double Feature at Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood
- January 6, 2010: Superman: The Movie Screening in Pittsburgh
- January 8, 2010: Christopher Reeve Superman Cinemaquette
- January 25, 2010: General Zod Movie Costume on Auction
- January 29, 2010: Get 10% Off a Superman Movie Tour in NY
- January 30, 2010: Details on Christopher Reeve Superman Cinemaquette
- February 22, 2010: Ilya Salkind to Make First Convention Appearance
- February 28, 2010: Ilya Salkind's First Convention Appearance Report
- March 10, 2010: Ilya Salkind Appearing at Emerald City Comicon
- March 18, 2010: Lois Lane's Expensive Apartment
- March 23, 2010: Margot Kidder Appearing at Pittsburgh Comicon
- March 24, 2010: Ilya Salkind Appearing at Metropolis Superman Celebration
- April 3, 2010: Superman: The Movie Screening in North Carolina
- April 4, 2010: Fan's Tribute to Christopher Reeve
- April 6, 2010: Superman Concert and Movie Screening
- April 12, 2010: Superman IV Costume on Auction
- April 13, 2010: Ilya Salkind Appearing at Anaheim Comic Con
- April 20, 2010: Superman: The Movie Screening in Las Vegas
- April 21, 2010: Audio From Anaheim Wizard World Superman Panel
- April 23, 2010: Ilya Salkind Interview
- April 25, 2010: Margot Kidder at Pittsburgh Comic Con
- July 21, 2010: Flashback to Superman: The Movie Radio & TV Spots
- August 2, 2010: Superman Movie Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz Dead at 68
- August 4, 2010: Superman Movie Producer Ilya Salkind on Death of Tom Mankiewicz
- August 10, 2010: Margot Kidder in Love, Loss, and What I Wore
- August 23, 2010: Superman II Director Richard Lester Donates Archive to British Film Institute
- September 6, 2010: Looking Back - Margot Kidder Superman IV Interview
- September 14, 2010: Honor Christopher Reeve on His Birthday
- September 16, 2010: Richard Donner Biography Out in November
- September 18, 2010: Superman: The Movie To Be Shown on U.K. Dam
- October 10, 2010: Remembering Two Supermen
- October 24, 2010: Superman Cinematographer Robert Paynter Dies
- November 4, 2010: Tom Mankiewicz on Superman
- November 21, 2010: Christopher Reeve 12 inch Superman Action Figure
- November 21, 2010: Will Reeve Pays Tribute to Chris and Dana
- January 10, 2010: Creator of Tech Used in Superman Returns to Receive Honorary Oscar
- January 19, 2010: No Superman Cameo in Green Lantern Movie
- January 27, 2010: Matthew Bomer Recalls Superman Screen Test
- January 29, 2010: Routh and Slater Raise Funds for Haiti
- February 5, 2010: No Superman Curse for Brandon Routh
- February 13, 2010: A Look at the WB's Jeff Robinov
- March 4, 2010: Stunt Coordinator Talks Justice League: Mortal
- March 15, 2010: Christian Bale Was Almost Superman
- March 21, 2010: Eva Marie Saint Recalls Superman Returns
- April 7, 2010: Examination of the Fleischer Superman Cartoons
- April 30, 2010: The Search for the Missing Jumpin Jive
- June 15, 2010: Ashton Kutcher Recalls His Superman Audition
- June 20, 2010: Interview with Brandon Routh's Dad for Father's Day
- June 21, 2010: Megamind Animated Movie Has Superman Overtones
- June 27, 2010: Brandon Routh Talks Superman Returns and Smallville
- June 28, 2010: Cary Bates Recalls Superman V: Superman Reborn
- August 3, 2010: Cancelled Justice League Movie Interview
- August 12, 2010: Brandon Routh to Appear at Dragon-Con
- August 26, 2010: Ohhhhhh Boy. This is Gonna Be A Hard One
- August 27, 2010: Edgar Wright's Comic Book Top Fifty
- September 7, 2010: Clint Eastwood Knocked Back Superman Role
- September 20, 2010: First Look at Superman XXX
- September 27, 2010: Waiting For Superman Documentary
- October 3, 2010: Armie Hammer Talks Never-Made JLA Movie
- October 10, 2010: Remembering Two Supermen
- October 10, 2010: Never-Made Superman Movies Examined
- October 29, 2010: Tim Burton's Superman Lives Photos
- November 5, 2010: Michael Dougherty Talks Superman Returns
- November 9, 2010: Superman Requiem Fan Film
- November 23, 2010: Superman Returns Costume to Sell at Auction
- December 5, 2010: Never-Used Superman and Doomsday Movie Designs
- December 5, 2010: Heroic Ambition Documentary Reminder
- December 8, 2010: Even More Tim Burton Superman Lives Designs
- December 8, 2010: No Clark Kent Cameo in Green Lantern Movie
- December 16, 2010: Kevin Spacey Talks About Playing Lex Luthor
- December 16, 2010: Superman Lives Healing Suit Test Footage
- December 22, 2010: Academic Essay on Superman Returns
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.