Book Reviews - Lois Lane Series
"Lois Lane: Triple Threat"Published by: Switch Press (May 2017)
Reviewed by: Steve Younis
Adult readers have a tendency to turn their noses up at Young Adult fiction. Not me. I remember when the first "Harry Potter" book came out, I was hiding the cover from fellow workmates as I read the book in the lunch room of the office I was working at at the time. I soon became so absorbed in the material that I quite frankly didn't care what people thought of a grown man reading Young Adult fiction. It was a great story!
I feel the same way about Gwenda Bond's "Lois Lane" series. "Triple Threat," the third and likely final book in the series, is a lot of fun. It picks up where the first and second books in the series leave off, and by this stage you're not only familiar with the characters, but you're enamored with them.
Teenage Lois Lane is the same character you've known and loved for decades... She's just younger, a little less sure of herself, but still tenacious, proactive and getting into trouble at every turn. However, Gwenda has surrounded Lois with a group of friends that help build the world around the young would-be reporter. Her fellow "Scoop" reporters, a division of the Daily Planet newspaper, report to Perry White himself. And Perry is exactly the way you've always pictured him in your head. As are General Sam Lane, Lucy Lane and other familiar characters, including Boss Moxie.
The highlight of "Triple Threat" is beyond a doubt the first face-to-face meeting of Lois Lane and Clark Kent. The two have to this point formed an online relationship in a simulated game called "Worlds War Three". Lois finally gets to meet 'SmallvilleGuy' in person, and the two are adorable together. Clark is everything you'd hope a teenage version of the boy from Kansas would be.
There are a few surprises along the way, with the introduction of other characters I won't spoil in this review. Needless to say, you'll enjoy discovering their identity as the book progresses.
The official book synopsis reads:
For the first time, Lois Lane has almost everything she wants. Non-temporary home? Check. Dream job? Double check. Incredible BFFs? The absolute best. And now, her online crush, SmallvilleGuy, is coming to Metropolis. If all goes well, they ll turn their long-distance friendship into a some-kind-of-fairy-tale romance. But when does all ever go well? Before she can check boyfriend off her list, Lois must take down a mad scientist plus a trio of mutant teens, protect the elusive flying man from the feds (including her dad), and navigate her very first date with SmallvilleGuy. In the follow-up to FALLOUT and DOUBLE DOWN, Gwenda Bond's reimagination of DC Comics s first leading lady takes on her toughest challenge yet: Love.
Like the first two books before it, "Triple Threat" is another enjoyable book in the Lois Lane series. While it is categorized as a Young Adult novel, I'd highly recommend it to anyone... especially Superman fans. Gwenda Bond has written another book you can't put down. You want to keep reading to find out how Lois is going to solve the problem of the mutant teens, whether Perry White will fire her, and whether her relationship with Clark will go the way you hope it will.
Purchase "Lois Lane: Triple Threat" from the Superman Homepage Online Store. You can also purchase "Lois Lane: Fallout" and "Lois Lane: Double Down" if you haven't done so yet.
Book ReviewsComic Book Novelizations:
- The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero
- The Man From Krypton
- The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes - Volume 3: Superman
- Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway
- Beyond Lois Lane
- The DC Comics Action Figure Archive
- Superman vs. Hollywood
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
- Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman by Michael J. Hayde
- Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven
- Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan by Gary D. Robinson
- DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book by Matthew Reinhart
- The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong
- The Ages of Superman: Essays on the Man of Steel in Changing Times
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye
- Superman is an Arab by Joumana Haddad
- Superman is Jewish? by Harry Brod
- 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph McCabe
- Superman: The Persistence of an American Icon by Ian Gordon
- DC: Women of Action by Shea Fontana
- Is Superman Circumcised?: The Complete Jewish History of the World's Greatest Hero by Roy Schwartz
- Adapting Superman: Essays on the Transmedia Man of Steel by John Darowski (Editor)
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Miracle Monday
- The Further Adventures of Superman
- It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
- DC Universe: Last Sons
- DC Universe: Trail of Time
- Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
- Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
- DC Super-Pets! by Picture Window Books
- Dear Justice League by Michael Northrop
- Dear Super-Villains by Michael Northrop
- Fallout (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Double Down (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Triple Threat (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt De La Pena
- Super Sons: Escape to Landis by author Ridley Pearson and illustrator Ileana Gonzales
- House of El - Book One: Shadow Threat by author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki
- House of El - Book Two: The Enemy Delusion by author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki
- Smallville: Strange Visitors
- Smallville: Dragon
- Smallville: Hauntings
- Smallville: Whodunnit
- Smallville: Shadows
- Smallville: Silence
- Smallville: Curse
- Smallville: City
- Smallville: Arrival
- Smallville: See No Evil
- Smallville: Flight
- Smallville: Animal Rage
- Smallville: Speed
- Smallville: Buried Secrets
- Smallville: Greed
- Smallville: Temptation
- Smallville: Sparks
- JLA: Batman - The Stone King
- JLA: Wonder Woman - Mythos
- JLA: The Flash - Stop Motion
- JLA: JLA - Exterminators
- JLA: Green Lantern - Hero's Quest
- JLA: Superman - The Never-Ending Battle
- Superman Returns: Strange Visitor
- Superman Returns: Novelization
- Superman Returns: Coming Home
- Superman Returns: Earthquake in Metropolis!
- Superman Returns: I am Superman!
- Superman Returns: Be A Hero!
- Superman Returns: Thank You, Superman!
- Superman Returns: The Movie Storybook
- Superman Returns: The Visual Guide
- Superman Returns: The Official Movie Guide