Book Reviews - "Smallville" Titles
Smallville: TemptationWriter: Susan Colon
Published by: Little, Brown, and Company (February 2004)
Reviewed by: Aaron Thall
During a baseball game, Clark discovers a chunk of Red Kryptonite. Immediately tempted by it, he nonetheless buries it.
Meanwhile, a french exchange student, Jamie, is proving to be popular with the ladies, including Lana and Chloe. Soon, Clark is experiencing jealousy and, in a desperate attempt to gain the confidence he needs to regain Lana's attention, Clark recovers the Red K.
Reasoning that as long as he limits his exposure, he won't go homicidal, Clark lets Red Clark out to play... But the longer he becomes Red Clark, the harder it becomes for him to stop.
But Clark's not the only one becoming addicted to power: Jamie soon reveals a problem he has with self-combustion... A problem which he must steal breath... killing the doner in the process... to stave off.
But as the bodies pile up, it remains a question as to whether the real threat is Jamie... or Clark.
Story - 4: Honestly, I'm amazed that a young adult novel like this one would even BEGIN to touch upon the topic of addiction; granted, it isn't drugs, but for both Jamie and Clark, what they're addicted to gives them the exact same rush.
The story itself is rather obvious, almost pedestrian at times, but it finds new angles in the Red Clark cliche to prove worthwhile. Seeing Clark rationalize the use of Red K as only being short doses is sad, because the reader can see as he falls further into the inevitable madness that comes with Red Clark. By the same token, Jamie isn't really evil. He's just doing what he feels he must do to survive, and he always feels terrible remorse.
Addiction can cause people to do horrible things that they normally wouldn't do, and this novel demonstrated that with great skill. In addition, the way that Red K is used in the climax is a brilliant bit that I wish would get worked into the show. But at the same time, it sort of muddles the message about using substances.
Also... No Lex Luthor in the novel at all. A shame.
Overall, a solid effort.
Cover Art - 2: Another promo shot. YAWN. One wishes they'd used Red Clark.
Book ReviewsComic Book Novelizations:
- The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero
- The Man From Krypton
- The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes - Volume 3: Superman
- Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway
- Beyond Lois Lane
- The DC Comics Action Figure Archive
- Superman vs. Hollywood
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
- Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman by Michael J. Hayde
- Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven
- Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan by Gary D. Robinson
- DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book by Matthew Reinhart
- The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong
- The Ages of Superman: Essays on the Man of Steel in Changing Times
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye
- Superman is an Arab by Joumana Haddad
- Superman is Jewish? by Harry Brod
- 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph McCabe
- Superman: The Persistence of an American Icon by Ian Gordon
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Miracle Monday
- The Further Adventures of Superman
- It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
- DC Universe: Last Sons
- DC Universe: Trail of Time
- Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
- Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
- DC Super-Pets! by Picture Window Books
- Fallout (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Double Down (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Triple Threat (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Smallville: Strange Visitors
- Smallville: Dragon
- Smallville: Hauntings
- Smallville: Whodunnit
- Smallville: Shadows
- Smallville: Silence
- Smallville: Curse
- Smallville: City
- Smallville: Arrival
- Smallville: See No Evil
- Smallville: Flight
- Smallville: Animal Rage
- Smallville: Speed
- Smallville: Buried Secrets
- Smallville: Greed
- Smallville: Temptation
- Smallville: Sparks
- JLA: Batman - The Stone King
- JLA: Wonder Woman - Mythos
- JLA: The Flash - Stop Motion
- JLA: JLA - Exterminators
- JLA: Green Lantern - Hero's Quest
- JLA: Superman - The Never-Ending Battle
- Superman Returns: Strange Visitor
- Superman Returns: Novelization
- Superman Returns: Coming Home
- Superman Returns: Earthquake in Metropolis!
- Superman Returns: I am Superman!
- Superman Returns: Be A Hero!
- Superman Returns: Thank You, Superman!
- Superman Returns: The Movie Storybook
- Superman Returns: The Visual Guide
- Superman Returns: The Official Movie Guide