Book Reviews - "Smallville" Young Adults Series
Smallville: Buried SecretsWriter: Susan Colon
Published by: Little, Brown, and Company (June 2003)
Reviewed by: Aaron Thall
Lana believes that a new message from Whitney might be a marriage proposal, leaving her torn between her old feelings for him and her budding feeling towards Clark. But as Clark moves to tell her how he feels, Whitney arrives back in town for a week. The end result estranges Lana and Clark.
Meanwhile, a substitute Spanish teacher, Ms. Sanchez, is making quite a splash. She can help anyone relax, by easing their minds about what's troubling them... WITHOUT being told what it is. Clark and Chloe soon learn that she was nearly killed the day of the meteor shower, and that she's been given the ability to read the minds of anyone stressed out.
Despite the danger to his secret, Clark finds himself developing a crush on his new teacher, but there's a serious problem... Lex is infatuated with her as well, and he's discovered her powers. Will Lex finally discover Clark's secret, or will Clark lose control of his temper and accidentally kill his friend?
Story - 2: It's always a nice change of pace when a freak of the week isn't insane or out to kill anybody, but it had a problem all it's own... It means that the action in the story has to come from another source. In this case, random accidents and bad weather. It makes for... a rather dull read. There's no drama. We know Lex won't learn the truth. We KNOW Clark won't lose control enough to hurt Lex. Utterly pointless.
Also grating is that the Lana and Whitney plot vanishes early in the novel, despite how important it is to the proceedings. An inexcusable blunder. You do NOT go through the trouble of bringing back a written-out character just to ignore them.
The only thing that really saves this story from a completely negative rating is the fallout from the microsecond that Clark loses his temper. All at once, we see every fear the Kents have nearly come to life. His father's faith in him is shaken, Martha is terrified, and Clark is so thrown that he briefly stops using his powers even for chores.
All in all, an incredibly pointless novel.
Cover Art - 2: The front is still pointless, but at least there's a hint of the Clark/Lex confrontation on the back.
Book ReviewsComic Book Novelizations:
- The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero
- The Man From Krypton
- The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes - Volume 3: Superman
- Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway
- Beyond Lois Lane
- The DC Comics Action Figure Archive
- Superman vs. Hollywood
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
- Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman by Michael J. Hayde
- Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven
- Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan by Gary D. Robinson
- DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book by Matthew Reinhart
- The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong
- The Ages of Superman: Essays on the Man of Steel in Changing Times
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye
- Superman is an Arab by Joumana Haddad
- Superman is Jewish? by Harry Brod
- 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph McCabe
- Superman: The Persistence of an American Icon by Ian Gordon
- DC: Women of Action by Shea Fontana
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Miracle Monday
- The Further Adventures of Superman
- It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
- DC Universe: Last Sons
- DC Universe: Trail of Time
- Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
- Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
- DC Super-Pets! by Picture Window Books
- Dear Justice League by Michael Northrop
- Fallout (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Double Down (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Triple Threat (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt De La Pena
- Super Sons: Escape to Landis by author Ridley Pearson and illustrator Ileana Gonzales
- Smallville: Strange Visitors
- Smallville: Dragon
- Smallville: Hauntings
- Smallville: Whodunnit
- Smallville: Shadows
- Smallville: Silence
- Smallville: Curse
- Smallville: City
- Smallville: Arrival
- Smallville: See No Evil
- Smallville: Flight
- Smallville: Animal Rage
- Smallville: Speed
- Smallville: Buried Secrets
- Smallville: Greed
- Smallville: Temptation
- Smallville: Sparks
- JLA: Batman - The Stone King
- JLA: Wonder Woman - Mythos
- JLA: The Flash - Stop Motion
- JLA: JLA - Exterminators
- JLA: Green Lantern - Hero's Quest
- JLA: Superman - The Never-Ending Battle
- Superman Returns: Strange Visitor
- Superman Returns: Novelization
- Superman Returns: Coming Home
- Superman Returns: Earthquake in Metropolis!
- Superman Returns: I am Superman!
- Superman Returns: Be A Hero!
- Superman Returns: Thank You, Superman!
- Superman Returns: The Movie Storybook
- Superman Returns: The Visual Guide
- Superman Returns: The Official Movie Guide