Book Reviews - "Superman Returns" Titles
Superman Returns: NovelizationAdapted by: Marv Wolfman
Published by: Warner Books (June 1, 2006)
Reviewed by: Neal Bailey
Well, this isn't going to be too long, and I apologize for that. Strange how a full script can give you three pages of material, and a novel only most of a page, but nonetheless, the reason being, by now we all know the story, and this is more a chronicling of how well this book summarizes it coupled with what extras it can offer...
The novelization is great. It takes a bit of a foray into extra materials in the beginning, offering a new dimension to Krypton and its history, and spends some time on Lara and Jor-El.
Is it original? Not if you've seen the movie. Don't expect anything new here, like for instance, when you read Death and Life of Superman or No Man's Land (novelizations), which add dimensions of character depth and seamlessly interchange things. If anything, think Craig Shaw Gardener.
It doesn't add much to the film beyond interpolation into the motives behind the characters. Much of what I suspected of both Lois and Superman and even Lex's motivations is elaborated on here, giving me a bit of a perspective that I had the right impression, which is cool.
It also gives a lot of extra little snippets of dialogue that got left on the cutting room floor, including the return to Krypton and a lot of other interesting extras.
The one thing it lacked, very notably, was any mention of Jason's powers. Lois actually kills Brutus instead of the kid, and in the end, Superman never visits the boy and what Lois says is never elaborated on. I wish it had been, but alas.
Maybe this was to protect the secret of the film, maybe they added the powers of the kid at the last minute. I'm not sure. Honestly, the film would have worked better for me had what Lois whispered been a secret to be revealed in the next film, and had the kid not been shown to have some sort of powers he later never uses at all.
Good writing, pretty stereotypical. It's hard to be experimental with a novelization, but it's poetic enough. Worth a read if you either really love the movie, Wolfman, or extra little bits of deleted scenes. Otherwise, average.
For me? 3.5 of 5.
Book ReviewsComic Book Novelizations:
- The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero
- The Man From Krypton
- The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes - Volume 3: Superman
- Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway
- Beyond Lois Lane
- The DC Comics Action Figure Archive
- Superman vs. Hollywood
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
- Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman by Michael J. Hayde
- Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven
- Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan by Gary D. Robinson
- DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book by Matthew Reinhart
- The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong
- The Ages of Superman: Essays on the Man of Steel in Changing Times
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye
- Superman is an Arab by Joumana Haddad
- Superman is Jewish? by Harry Brod
- 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph McCabe
- Superman: The Persistence of an American Icon by Ian Gordon
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Miracle Monday
- The Further Adventures of Superman
- It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
- DC Universe: Last Sons
- DC Universe: Trail of Time
- Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
- Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
- DC Super-Pets! by Picture Window Books
- Fallout (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Double Down (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Triple Threat (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt De La Pena
- Smallville: Strange Visitors
- Smallville: Dragon
- Smallville: Hauntings
- Smallville: Whodunnit
- Smallville: Shadows
- Smallville: Silence
- Smallville: Curse
- Smallville: City
- Smallville: Arrival
- Smallville: See No Evil
- Smallville: Flight
- Smallville: Animal Rage
- Smallville: Speed
- Smallville: Buried Secrets
- Smallville: Greed
- Smallville: Temptation
- Smallville: Sparks
- JLA: Batman - The Stone King
- JLA: Wonder Woman - Mythos
- JLA: The Flash - Stop Motion
- JLA: JLA - Exterminators
- JLA: Green Lantern - Hero's Quest
- JLA: Superman - The Never-Ending Battle
- Superman Returns: Strange Visitor
- Superman Returns: Novelization
- Superman Returns: Coming Home
- Superman Returns: Earthquake in Metropolis!
- Superman Returns: I am Superman!
- Superman Returns: Be A Hero!
- Superman Returns: Thank You, Superman!
- Superman Returns: The Movie Storybook
- Superman Returns: The Visual Guide
- Superman Returns: The Official Movie Guide