"House of El (Book Two): The Enemy Delusion"Published by: DC Comics (January 4, 2022)
Reviewed by: Steve Younis
"House of El: The Enemy Delusion" is the second book in the three-part Young Adult series by author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki.
Sera, a young soldier, and Zahn, a young scientist, are both dedicated citizens of Krypton and will do anything to improve their planet and fight for its citizens. However, as cracks in their world begin to emerge, Sera and Zahn are driven away from their destinies and toward each other - leading to a cataclysmic ending to all that they once held true.
Having learned of Krypton's possible fate, Sera and Zahn find it increasingly difficult to continue with their everyday lives. Sera's enhanced fighting skills may impress General Zod, but they seem to raise suspicions among her fellow soldiers. Zahn finds it equally challenging to maintain his studies and his friendships, as he carries both the knowledge of an underground rebel group's plans and the experiments conducted by Jor-El and Lara. Jor-El himself attempts to alert the tribunes about the looming danger to the planet. When Sera and Zahn find out they have less time remaining than they thought, what will they do to try to save Krypton?
Once again, as with the first book, I am intrigued that this series is marketed as a Young Adult graphic novel series (grade level 7-9), as "House of El: The Enemy Delusion" reads much like any of the current comic books published by DC for older readers. The themes are intriguing and involved. The character growth in book two makes Zahn and Sera solid characters, who are both likeable and relatable. If Kal-El does end up being the Last Son of Krypton, as we expect, then I will be sad to see these new characters meet their ultimate fate.
Superman fans will become invested in these new characters, who feel as much a part of Krypton's storied history as similar characters who came before them in the comics. Claudia Gray does a great job of making us care for them.
While the art in book one took some getting used to, Eric Zawadzki's style grew on me in this second volume, and I found myself marvelling at the detailed city landscapes and structural designs.
While it appears we'll have to wait a year to find out how the story concludes in Book Three, I know I'm already looking forward to seeing how this will all play out for Zahn and Sera.
"House of El: The Enemy Delusion" is available in Print, for the Kindle and iBooks, along with the first volume "House of El: Shadow Threat".
Book ReviewsComic Book Novelizations:
- The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero
- The Man From Krypton
- The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes - Volume 3: Superman
- Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway
- Beyond Lois Lane
- The DC Comics Action Figure Archive
- Superman vs. Hollywood
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
- Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman by Michael J. Hayde
- Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven
- Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan by Gary D. Robinson
- DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book by Matthew Reinhart
- The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong
- The Ages of Superman: Essays on the Man of Steel in Changing Times
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye
- Superman is an Arab by Joumana Haddad
- Superman is Jewish? by Harry Brod
- 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph McCabe
- Superman: The Persistence of an American Icon by Ian Gordon
- DC: Women of Action by Shea Fontana
- Is Superman Circumcised?: The Complete Jewish History of the World's Greatest Hero by Roy Schwartz
- Adapting Superman: Essays on the Transmedia Man of Steel by John Darowski (Editor)
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Miracle Monday
- The Further Adventures of Superman
- It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
- DC Universe: Last Sons
- DC Universe: Trail of Time
- Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
- Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
- DC Super-Pets! by Picture Window Books
- Dear Justice League by Michael Northrop
- Dear Super-Villains by Michael Northrop
- Fallout (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Double Down (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Triple Threat (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt De La Pena
- Super Sons: Escape to Landis by author Ridley Pearson and illustrator Ileana Gonzales
- House of El - Book One: Shadow Threat by author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki
- House of El - Book Two: The Enemy Delusion by author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki
- Smallville: Strange Visitors
- Smallville: Dragon
- Smallville: Hauntings
- Smallville: Whodunnit
- Smallville: Shadows
- Smallville: Silence
- Smallville: Curse
- Smallville: City
- Smallville: Arrival
- Smallville: See No Evil
- Smallville: Flight
- Smallville: Animal Rage
- Smallville: Speed
- Smallville: Buried Secrets
- Smallville: Greed
- Smallville: Temptation
- Smallville: Sparks
- JLA: Batman - The Stone King
- JLA: Wonder Woman - Mythos
- JLA: The Flash - Stop Motion
- JLA: JLA - Exterminators
- JLA: Green Lantern - Hero's Quest
- JLA: Superman - The Never-Ending Battle
- Superman Returns: Strange Visitor
- Superman Returns: Novelization
- Superman Returns: Coming Home
- Superman Returns: Earthquake in Metropolis!
- Superman Returns: I am Superman!
- Superman Returns: Be A Hero!
- Superman Returns: Thank You, Superman!
- Superman Returns: The Movie Storybook
- Superman Returns: The Visual Guide
- Superman Returns: The Official Movie Guide