Book Reviews - "Smallville" Young Adults Series
Smallville: ArrivalWriter: Michael Teitelbaum
Teleplay by: Alfred Gough and Miles Millar
Published by: Little, Brown, and Company (October 2002)
Reviewed by: Aaron Thall
In the aftermath of a devastating meteor shower, Smallville is reborn as a place where the bizarre happens, but few really take note. It is in this environment that Clark Kent, a boy that fell from the sky, grows up hiding his powers. However, events soon conspire to force him to use them in the defense of the town and it's people.
Every year, the Smallville Crows select one student to be their Scarecrow, a ritual where they are hung in the middle of a cornfield for good luck. However, a lightning storm has awakened the Scarecrow from the day of the meteor shower, and he wants revenge.
But Clark may be too busy dealing with his new friend Lex Luthor, and with avoiding becoming the Scarecrow himself, to save his classmates from a flash fried fate...
Story - 3: This novel, the opening entry into the young adults Smallville selection, is a straight adaptation of the pilot episode. This means that it winds up displaying both the strengths and weaknesses of the series rather painfully, especially since, as a Young Adult novel, it does not have the freedom to go into greater detail or truly expand upon the events in the story. Especially glaring is how the first freak of the week is shoved into the plot when he really doesn't belong. He just happens to wake up right in time for the annual tradition, with Chloe hearing some minor details and coming up with the ONLY! POSSIBLE! SOLUTION! It looks more ridiculous on paper than it sounded on the show.
Still, given that this is a Young Adult novel, leeway most be given, and it does effectively establish the characters.
Cover Art - 4: Just Clark, Lex, and Lana in a cornfield. On the back, Clark after helping Lex out. They're trying to link the promo images to the story, a good sign. Bet it doesn't last.
Book ReviewsComic Book Novelizations:
- The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero
- The Man From Krypton
- The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes - Volume 3: Superman
- Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway
- Beyond Lois Lane
- The DC Comics Action Figure Archive
- Superman vs. Hollywood
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
- Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman by Michael J. Hayde
- Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven
- Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan by Gary D. Robinson
- DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book by Matthew Reinhart
- The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong
- The Ages of Superman: Essays on the Man of Steel in Changing Times
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye
- Superman is an Arab by Joumana Haddad
- Superman is Jewish? by Harry Brod
- 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph McCabe
- Superman: The Persistence of an American Icon by Ian Gordon
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Miracle Monday
- The Further Adventures of Superman
- It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
- DC Universe: Last Sons
- DC Universe: Trail of Time
- Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
- Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
- DC Super-Pets! by Picture Window Books
- Fallout (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Double Down (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Triple Threat (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt De La Pena
- Smallville: Strange Visitors
- Smallville: Dragon
- Smallville: Hauntings
- Smallville: Whodunnit
- Smallville: Shadows
- Smallville: Silence
- Smallville: Curse
- Smallville: City
- Smallville: Arrival
- Smallville: See No Evil
- Smallville: Flight
- Smallville: Animal Rage
- Smallville: Speed
- Smallville: Buried Secrets
- Smallville: Greed
- Smallville: Temptation
- Smallville: Sparks
- JLA: Batman - The Stone King
- JLA: Wonder Woman - Mythos
- JLA: The Flash - Stop Motion
- JLA: JLA - Exterminators
- JLA: Green Lantern - Hero's Quest
- JLA: Superman - The Never-Ending Battle
- Superman Returns: Strange Visitor
- Superman Returns: Novelization
- Superman Returns: Coming Home
- Superman Returns: Earthquake in Metropolis!
- Superman Returns: I am Superman!
- Superman Returns: Be A Hero!
- Superman Returns: Thank You, Superman!
- Superman Returns: The Movie Storybook
- Superman Returns: The Visual Guide
- Superman Returns: The Official Movie Guide