Book Reviews - Stand-Alone/Solo Titles
100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They DieBy: Joseph McCabe
Reviewed by: Mario Bennese
100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die is unlike any Superman book I've ever read. SFX magazine editor Joseph McCabe is tasked with condensing nearly eighty years of Superman history, spanning both lore and popular culture, into a one-hundred chapter, 301 page book. For the most part, he is largely successful.
Comprised of one-hundred easily digestible chapters, McCabe manages to break down the Superman legend into its core components. Beginning with the creators and the creation, the book proceeds to discuss the evolution of the mythology. Nearly every mainstay of the franchise is touched upon in some form or another.
Released at least a month prior to the premier of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and the revamping of the DC Universe in DC Universe Rebirth #1, the book is relatively up-to date, including an entire chapter dedicated to 2015's Supergirl TV show.
However, there are areas in which McCabe misses opportunities to strengthen the informative nature of the book. Several aspects and iterations are only briefly discussed. Films like Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace receive their own chapters, but very little information is given about them outside of their casts and performances at the box office while topics such as The New 52 are limited to the occasional offhand comment. There were multiple chapters that could have been replaced to at least touch upon The New 52 and the changes it brought to the character. More specifically, some of the "list" chapters (i.e. "The Five Greatest Superman Spoofs," "The Five Greatest Superman Pastiches," etc.) could have been scrapped, or at the very least, retooled to produce a more inclusive book.
There is one area in which McCabe fails, however. Throughout the book, there are several instances in which there are minor factual errors. One of the most notable comes from a chapter in which Kryptonian names are being discussed. McCabe incorrectly states that the latter half of Lara Lor-Van's name comes from her mother when it is actually her father's name. In another instance, McCabe fails to mention that Mr. Mxyzptlk was originally spelt as Mxyztplk. Furthermore, McCabe incorrectly states that the "S" in the Superman text logo was redesigned in 1983 when it was really the "U."
Additionally, an incorrect year, off by two decades, is given for the same comic book issue twice in two separate chapters. Other minor typographical errors are present and considering McCabe's status as an established writer and editor, it is almost ironic that such errors, easily remedied by another proof read, have slipped into the final edition.
Despite this, McCabe produces a generally well-written book. With a legend as expansive as Superman's, it is nearly impossible to touch on every significant milestone and incarnation without neglecting something.
The highlight of this book, though, is the inclusion of thirty exclusive interviews with a wide array of talents who have been involved with Superman in one form or another. These interviews compliment chapters nicely, sometimes offering more insight than the chapter it is paired with.
Ultimately, the book is a great piece of work. Moderately priced and designed to be all-encompassing, Superman fans new and old will find something to enjoy about this book.
I rate 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die a solid 4 out of 5.
Buy "100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Joseph McCabe at the Superman Homepage Online Store.
Book ReviewsComic Book Novelizations:
- The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero
- The Man From Krypton
- The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes - Volume 3: Superman
- Superman on Film, Television, Radio and Broadway
- Beyond Lois Lane
- The DC Comics Action Figure Archive
- Superman vs. Hollywood
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
- Flights of Fantasy: The Unauthorized but True Story of Radio & TV's Adventures of Superman by Michael J. Hayde
- Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven
- Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan by Gary D. Robinson
- DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book by Matthew Reinhart
- The True Adventures of the World's Greatest Stuntman by Vic Armstrong
- The Ages of Superman: Essays on the Man of Steel in Changing Times
- Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye
- Superman is an Arab by Joumana Haddad
- Superman is Jewish? by Harry Brod
- 100 Things Superman Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by Joseph McCabe
- Superman: The Persistence of an American Icon by Ian Gordon
- DC: Women of Action by Shea Fontana
- Is Superman Circumcised?: The Complete Jewish History of the World's Greatest Hero by Roy Schwartz
- Adapting Superman: Essays on the Transmedia Man of Steel by John Darowski (Editor)
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton
- Superman: Miracle Monday
- The Further Adventures of Superman
- It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
- DC Universe: Last Sons
- DC Universe: Trail of Time
- Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson
- Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
- DC Super-Pets! by Picture Window Books
- Dear Justice League by Michael Northrop
- Dear Super-Villains by Michael Northrop
- Fallout (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Double Down (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Triple Threat (Lois Lane) by Gwenda Bond
- Superman: Dawnbreaker by Matt De La Pena
- Super Sons: Escape to Landis by author Ridley Pearson and illustrator Ileana Gonzales
- House of El - Book One: Shadow Threat by author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki
- House of El - Book Two: The Enemy Delusion by author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki
- Smallville: Strange Visitors
- Smallville: Dragon
- Smallville: Hauntings
- Smallville: Whodunnit
- Smallville: Shadows
- Smallville: Silence
- Smallville: Curse
- Smallville: City
- Smallville: Arrival
- Smallville: See No Evil
- Smallville: Flight
- Smallville: Animal Rage
- Smallville: Speed
- Smallville: Buried Secrets
- Smallville: Greed
- Smallville: Temptation
- Smallville: Sparks
- JLA: Batman - The Stone King
- JLA: Wonder Woman - Mythos
- JLA: The Flash - Stop Motion
- JLA: JLA - Exterminators
- JLA: Green Lantern - Hero's Quest
- JLA: Superman - The Never-Ending Battle
- Superman Returns: Strange Visitor
- Superman Returns: Novelization
- Superman Returns: Coming Home
- Superman Returns: Earthquake in Metropolis!
- Superman Returns: I am Superman!
- Superman Returns: Be A Hero!
- Superman Returns: Thank You, Superman!
- Superman Returns: The Movie Storybook
- Superman Returns: The Visual Guide
- Superman Returns: The Official Movie Guide