2002 Movie News Archives
August 13, 2002: Batman vs Superman Movie On Hold!Seems like we'll have to wait even longer for a new Superman movie... *sigh*
Entertainment Weekly reports today that Wolfgang Peters plans to direct a new movie called "Troy" before he takes on "Batman vs Superman". Here's an excerpt from the EW report...
Even as buzz continues over the mother of all franchise matchups, "Batman vs. Superman," director Wolfgang Petersen has announced he's putting the project on hold. Before his superheroes put on their rubber suits, the "Perfect Storm" filmmaker is going to put on his Trojans. He's announced that his next project will be "Troy," an adaptation of Homer's Iliad.
"Of these two projects I have developed at Warner Bros., I had hoped to make 'Troy' first and am pleased that the scheduling worked out that way," Petersen told Variety. "I'm looking forward to directing 'Batman vs. Superman' in the future."
Adapted by screenwriter David Benioff (who wrote the upcoming Spike Lee drama "The 25th Hour"), "Troy" is expected to focus on the rivalry between Greek warrior Achilles and Trojan defender Hector. The film is one of several ancient Greek sagas in development, along with several movies about Alexander the Great and two dramas about the Battle of Thermopylae. Petersen says he expects to start shooting "Troy" in early 2003, which means production on "Batman vs. Superman" probably won't start until 2004.
Still, speculation continues as to who might play the two superheroes, with such names as Colin Farrell ("Minority Report") rumored for Batman and Jude Law ("Road to Perdition") for Superman. The latest rumor has Josh Hartnett as a possible Man of Steel. Back in February, however, Hartnett told EW.com, "I've turned down every superhero I've been offered.... The superhero stuff was never really my thing. But if the right thing comes along, maybe -- I never say never." Meantime, maybe the "Black Hawk Down" star should start polishing his shield and breastplate.
2002 Movie NewsListed below are all the Movie News items archived for 2002 organized into 4 categories:
Superman and Batman vs Superman Movie News:
Christopher Reeve Movie News:
- January 30, 2002: Sarah Douglas at a Convention Near You!
- February 12, 2002: Reeve and Kidder to Present Award to Richard Donner
- February 19, 2002: Superman: The Movie on Encore
- March 5, 2002: Region 2 Special Edition Superman DVD Released!
- March 6, 2002: Special Edition Superman on Sci-Fi Channel
- March 14, 2002: Wish Jack O'Halloran a Happy Birthday!
- May 8, 2002: The Never-Made Superman Movie
- June 25, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman: The Movie DVD
- June 26, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman DVDs - Update!
- July 4, 2002: Superman: The Movie on the Big Screen in Ohio
- July 24, 2002: Superman Movie Items Up For Auction
- August 7, 2002: Superman Movie Items Sold at Auction
- August 28, 2002: Kidder in Crash
- September 10, 2002: Christopher Reeve Recovering!
- September 14, 2002: Wish Christopher Reeve a Happy Birthday!
- September 22, 2002: Christopher Reeve on Larry King Live
- October 3, 2002: Superman Movie Memorabilia on Auction
- October 5, 2002: Superman II on TV in Australia
- June 16, 2002: Miramax Commits to George Reeves Movie
- August 26, 2002: Kyle MacLachlan as George Reeves?
- September 22, 2002: Script Review of George Reeves Movie
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.