2002 Movie News Archives
May 19, 2002: TIME Magazine on Super-HeroesThe May 19, 2002 (Volume 159 No. 20) issue of TIME Magazine has an article titled "Superhero Nation" written by James Poniewozik. Mainly focused on the new "Spider-Man" movie, the article does however mention Superman and his various incarnations... although not necessarily in a positive light. Here's an excerpt from the article...
It's probably the most repeated line from the movie Spider-Man: Peter Parker's ailing Aunt May asks her doting nephew not to work so hard. After all, she reminds him, "you're not Superman." The joke is on her, because we know that her nephew is in fact a superhero; but it's also on us, because she has pinpointed what we like about not only Spider-Man and his geeky-sweet alter ego Peter, but most of the masked marvels we've followed from the comics to the screen. We don't want our superheroes to be invulnerable Supermen - Clark Kent's sad-sack persona is as essential to fans as Superman's ability to turn steel girders into pasta ribbons. It's not enough that superheroes fight our battles. We need them to suffer our heartbreaks, reflect our anxieties, embody our weaknesses.
Superman began life as a kind of populist statement. Created in 1938 by two Jewish colleagues, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, he offered justice for the little guy at the tail end of the Depression and upended the Nazi concept of the Ubermensch. "There was an enormous desire to see social justice, a rectifying of corruption," says DC Comics president Paul Levitz. "Superman was a fulfillment of a pent-up passion for the heroic solution." Batman, a morally ambiguous, revenge-driven crusader, emerged in 1939, at the outset of World War II, as the darker side of the heroic solution. Then when America entered the war, straightforwardly patriotic heroes like Captain America and Wonder Woman hit Hitler where he lived.
Thanks to Pedro Martins for the lead.
2002 Movie NewsListed below are all the Movie News items archived for 2002 organized into 4 categories:
Superman and Batman vs Superman Movie News:
Christopher Reeve Movie News:
- January 30, 2002: Sarah Douglas at a Convention Near You!
- February 12, 2002: Reeve and Kidder to Present Award to Richard Donner
- February 19, 2002: Superman: The Movie on Encore
- March 5, 2002: Region 2 Special Edition Superman DVD Released!
- March 6, 2002: Special Edition Superman on Sci-Fi Channel
- March 14, 2002: Wish Jack O'Halloran a Happy Birthday!
- May 8, 2002: The Never-Made Superman Movie
- June 25, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman: The Movie DVD
- June 26, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman DVDs - Update!
- July 4, 2002: Superman: The Movie on the Big Screen in Ohio
- July 24, 2002: Superman Movie Items Up For Auction
- August 7, 2002: Superman Movie Items Sold at Auction
- August 28, 2002: Kidder in Crash
- September 10, 2002: Christopher Reeve Recovering!
- September 14, 2002: Wish Christopher Reeve a Happy Birthday!
- September 22, 2002: Christopher Reeve on Larry King Live
- October 3, 2002: Superman Movie Memorabilia on Auction
- October 5, 2002: Superman II on TV in Australia
- June 16, 2002: Miramax Commits to George Reeves Movie
- August 26, 2002: Kyle MacLachlan as George Reeves?
- September 22, 2002: Script Review of George Reeves Movie
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.