2002 Movie News Archives
April 4, 2002: Entertainment Weekly on New Superman MovieIn an article titled "Brand of Steel", Entertainment Weekly's staff writer Brian Hiatt gives some unsolicited advice on the new Man of Steel movie. Here's an excerpt from the article:
As the success of "Smallville" suggests, troubled times like these call for a savior -- or at least a Superman. And in addition to the WB's Kryptonian Bildungsroman (which is taking its "no flights, no tights" vow seriously), there's a full-fledged version of the Man of Steel headed for the big screen. Director McG ("Charlie's Angels") and screenwriter J.J. Abrams ("Alias," "Felicity") have signed on to the project, which is slated to hit theaters in June 2003, according to Variety. It'd be the first Superman movie since 1987's flop "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace," which, with its Superman-rids-the-world-of-nuclear-weapons premise, ended Christopher Reeve's run as the last son of Krypton.
A subsequent effort to bring Superman to the movies -- which would've have starred Nicolas Cage as directed by Tim Burton -- wound up in oblivion. Assuming that doesn't happen again, here are a few helpful hints for the latest project's creators.
SUPERMAN AIN'T "CHARLIE'S ANGELS"
Warner Bros. presumably wanted McG because of the comic-book sheen he gave "Charlie's Angels." He created an unreal but stylish world of bright colors and improbable events, exploiting every bit of camp value inherent in the TV show's dated premise. But the director would be ill-advised to try the same trick with Superman.
2002 Movie NewsListed below are all the Movie News items archived for 2002 organized into 4 categories:
Superman and Batman vs Superman Movie News:
Christopher Reeve Movie News:
- January 30, 2002: Sarah Douglas at a Convention Near You!
- February 12, 2002: Reeve and Kidder to Present Award to Richard Donner
- February 19, 2002: Superman: The Movie on Encore
- March 5, 2002: Region 2 Special Edition Superman DVD Released!
- March 6, 2002: Special Edition Superman on Sci-Fi Channel
- March 14, 2002: Wish Jack O'Halloran a Happy Birthday!
- May 8, 2002: The Never-Made Superman Movie
- June 25, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman: The Movie DVD
- June 26, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman DVDs - Update!
- July 4, 2002: Superman: The Movie on the Big Screen in Ohio
- July 24, 2002: Superman Movie Items Up For Auction
- August 7, 2002: Superman Movie Items Sold at Auction
- August 28, 2002: Kidder in Crash
- September 10, 2002: Christopher Reeve Recovering!
- September 14, 2002: Wish Christopher Reeve a Happy Birthday!
- September 22, 2002: Christopher Reeve on Larry King Live
- October 3, 2002: Superman Movie Memorabilia on Auction
- October 5, 2002: Superman II on TV in Australia
- June 16, 2002: Miramax Commits to George Reeves Movie
- August 26, 2002: Kyle MacLachlan as George Reeves?
- September 22, 2002: Script Review of George Reeves Movie
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.