January 7, 2010: Bruce Davidson Talks "Crisis on Two Earths"
VETERAN ACTOR BRUCE DAVISON MAKES ANIMATION VOICEOVER DEBUT IN JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS
Bruce Davison is no stranger to political office - at least in a fictional situation. He's played an ambassador, senator, congressman and judge, but Davison steps up in class - in his first voiceover for animation - as President Wilson in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, an all-new DC Universe Animated Original PG-13 Movie coming February 23, 2010 from Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation.
In Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, a "good" Lex Luthor arrives from an alternate universe to recruit the Justice League to help save his Earth from the Crime Syndicate, a gang of villainous characters with virtually identical super powers to the Justice League. What ensues is the ultimate battle of good versus evil in a war that threatens both planets and puts the balance of all existence in peril. Davison's President Wilson is caught in the middle of the battle, attempting to find a balance between leading the human citizens of the parallel Earth and not being crushed by the powerful Crime Syndicate.
Davison's credits stretch through film and television to the tune of 160 different movies and series roles, catching the world's attention in 1971 as the title character in the benchmark rat-attack thriller Willard. He has since been a regular on primetime series, covering the gamut from The Waltons, Murder She Wrote and Thirtysomething to Seinfeld, Lost, Close to Home and Knight Rider. Davison's film career has featured memorable and critically acclaimed roles in X-Men and X2, Six Degrees of Separation, Short Cuts, Grace of My Heart and Longtime Companion, the latter performance garnering an Academy Award nomination, a Golden Globe Award, an Independent Spirit Award, and top honors from the National Society of Film Critics and the New York Film Critics Circle. Though he has recorded numerous books-on-tape, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths represents Davison's first foray into the animated world.
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is an original story from award-winning animation/comics writer Dwayne McDuffie (Justice League). Bruce Timm (Superman Doomsday) is executive producer, and Lauren Montgomery (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern: First Flight) and Sam Liu (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies) are co-directors. The full-length animated film will be distributed by Warner Home Video on February 23, 2010 as a Special Edition 2-disc version on DVD and , Blu-RayTM Hi-Def, as well as single disc DVD, and On Demand and Download.
|President Wilson (voiced by Bruce Davision) is caught between good and evil super heroes while trying to protect his planet
||The two men fighting for good on an alternate Earth - President Wilson (voiced by Bruce Davision) and Lex Luthor (Chris Noth) - have their hands full with the Crime Syndicate until reinforcements are recruited
During his recording session, Davison had a few minutes to discuss his inaugural animated role, his personal history with super heroes, an early adoration for EC Comics, and his ascent up the fictional political ladder. We'll let his words take it from here...
QUESTION: What's it like being one of two characters without super powers in an all-super hero movie?
BRUCE DAVISON: Well, it's par for the course. In X-Men, I played Senator Kelly and, as my son likes to say, I didn't really have any powers - I just melted. It's tough when your action figure can't stand up. I had to stick it in a glass of water because it didn't have any feet, just this sort of drippy stuff off the bottom (he laughs). So I'm used to not having any real strength powers. But President Wilson is a pretty macho guy, which is great.
QUESTION: And you've got a nice progression here. Marvel makes you a senator, DC makes you President ...
BRUCE DAVISON: Yes, I AM the President (he laughs). And I actually have feet in this one, plus an eye-patch. So I'm definitely moving up in the super hero world.
QUESTION: How did you enjoy your maiden voyage into animation voiceovers?
BRUCE DAVISON: I've done books-on-tape, including a Stephen King book and a few other things. But it's really interesting to be a character that will then be created as opposed to trying to fit in. I've spent a lifetime voicing over (looping) myself in films over the years. But it's a lot easier to just create something and then let the animators put it together. Oh, and it's just a blast doing the recording - it's like being six years old again.
QUESTION: Were you picturing the character in your head while recording, or just focusing on conveying certain emotions?
BRUCE DAVISON: Well, I always try to look at my characters as being better than I am. That's one of the reasons I guess I became an actor - because you get to create a persona that's bigger or better or more interesting than your own. I sort of found President Wilson to be like Dale Dye, the guy that does all the military shows on History Channel. The guy who gets in the trenches. He's been there, done that. So, I'd better shape up.
QUESTION: Did super heroes play a role in your youth?
BRUCE DAVISON: I hate to date myself, but my earliest memories are Flash Gordon. I would love playing Flash Gordon in the neighborhood. We lived outside of Philadelphia in Drexel Hill, and I would be Flash Gordon and my friend was Dr. Zarkov - and we'd get beat up by the Catholic kids, who were the clay people, on the way home from school. And then we'd have auditions for Dale Arden. So that was sort of my childhood fantasy.
QUESTION: Do you remember any first experiences with Superman or Batman?
BRUCE DAVISON: Oh, yeah - George Reeves working with "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" - you know, in the '50s when there were just three channels on the TV, and you watched the Indian on the Test Pattern until nine when things started coming on.
I did have a cape and I did jump off my stairs - and survived (laugh). I really loved running around the hill, trying to do the whole "Truth, Justice and the American Way" thing (hums the theme song). I'd try to take off just like he did, and end up sliding on my face down the hill. But that was always off camera for me and I figured they didn't see that part, just the great take off (laughs).
QUESTION: How did comic books influence your upbringing?
BRUCE DAVISON: I was a major EC Comic freak. I just loved them all. "Tales Of The Crypt," "Weird Science" ... all of the older stuff. I just really loved the artwork - Wally Wood and all of those great artists. But they scared the bejesus out of me as a kid. I remember one very vivid comic in which a baseball player would spike people, sliding into everybody, so they cut him all up and played baseball with his head and used his legs as the bats. I think they used his trunk as home plate. That really scared me (he laughs). It was a really interesting time. They used to run articles in the comics about how people in Congress were trying to make it a Commie plot to ban EC. I found that really interesting - that was really the dawning of my first understanding of politics and censorship.
QUESTION: Why are superheroes important for us?
BRUCE DAVISON: I think it gives us a sense of idealism and strength that we don't have but we wish we did. It's like, why do we create religion? Because we need super heroes to take care of us, to live up to.
QUESTION: You've done so many different things. What do people most often recognize you for?
BRUCE DAVISON: Well, if they're my age, probably Willard, because that was an impressionable movie when you're young. The younger people know me from X-Men. And then if you're 12, it's Knight Rider. It's as though every few years something comes along and then I'm sort of remembered for that. But people don't really know that I can do anything else until the next time.
QUESTION: Did you learn anything from your first animation voiceover experience?
BRUCE DAVISON: I learned it's a lot of fun. It really is. And you just have to sort of wing it with the other actors. You do have to work within the iambic pentameter of the technical world of the medium. You can't pop things and you can't get too close to the microphone and you can't get too breathy. You really have to sort of create a character vocally within a framework of technology. So you can't step out of it in order to do something that maybe you would do as an actor on film or on stage. When you're on stage, even a whisper, you have to reach very far away. In film, you can be much more intimate. But just using your voice, you have to create something that's somewhere in the middle so that it paints a picture and yet it's not intimate enough to get lost.
For more information, images and updates, please visit the film's official website at www.JUSTICELEAGUECRISIS.com.
2010 Movie News
Listed below are all the Movie News items archived for 2010 organized into various categories:
New Movie News:
Direct-to-DVD Animated Movie News:
- January 4, 2010: Mark Millar's Dream Superman Cast
- January 26, 2010: Brandon Routh Talks About Returning to Superman
- February 3, 2010: Warner Bros. Set to Announce DC Comics Movies
- February 9, 2010: Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?
- February 17, 2010: Mark Millar's Brief Brush with Superman
- February 20, 2010: Diane Nelson Says Nolan News is Just Rumor
- February 24, 2010: David Goyer to Write Man of Steel Movie?
- February 25, 2010: Confusion Reigns Over Superman Movie Rumors
- February 27, 2010: Jonah Nolan to Direct Superman Movie?
- March 10, 2010: Nolan and Goyer Confirm Involvement on Superman Movie
- March 19, 2010: Nolan Talks Superman But is Quiet on JLA Movie
- March 19, 2010: Superman Movie to be 3D
- March 26, 2010: Matthew Vaughn on His Brief Superman Discussion
- April 21, 2010: Dark Knight Producer Talks Superman Movie
- April 28, 2010: Superman Amongst Films to be Released in IMAX
- May 18, 2010: Brandon Routh Talks About New Superman Movie
- May 27, 2010: Superman Movie Set for Holiday Season 2012
- June 3, 2010: Nolan Reaffirms His Excitement for New Superman Movie
- June 14, 2010: Nolan Talks Batman, Superman and 3D Movies
- June 27, 2010: Christopher Nolan Talks Casting Superman
- July 8, 2010: Could Chris Columbus Direct Superman?
- July 13, 2010: Is Jonathan Nolan Directing Superman?
- July 15, 2010: A TV Star Being Considered for Superman Movie?
- July 20, 2010: Superman Movie Script Rumors
- July 21, 2010: LA Times Examines DC Superhero Movies
- July 25, 2010: Joe Manganiello in Running for Superman Film Role?
- July 28, 2010: Jon Hamm as Superman?
- August 3, 2010: Zachary Levi Not in Contention for Man of Steel
- August 4, 2010: Should Brandon Routh Play Superman Again?
- September 16, 2010: Jon Hamm Clueless About Superman Rumors
- September 17, 2010: DC Comics to Play Bigger Role at WB
- September 18, 2010: Jon Hamm Believes He's Too Old To Be Superman
- September 18, 2010: Del Toro Turned Down Directing Next Superman Movie
- September 22, 2010: Diane Nelson Clarifies Announcement Misquote
- September 24, 2010: Chris Nolan Interviewing Possible Superman Directors?
- September 25, 2010: Directors on Nolan's Alleged Short List Respond
- September 27, 2010: Could Darren Aronofsky Direct Superman Movie?
- September 28, 2010: Natalie Portman Could Be Lois Lane
- September 30, 2010: Add Robert Zemeckis to the Possible Director List
- October 2, 2010: Matt Reeves Not Approached for Superman Movie
- October 4, 2010: Zack Snyder Hired to Direct Superman Movie
- October 5, 2010: More Comments from Zack Snyder on Directing Superman
- October 10, 2010: Snyder Says New Superman Not Related to Previous Films
- October 13, 2010: Zod Just a Rumor for Superman Movie
- October 13, 2010: Fan Made Superman Movie Trailer
- October 15, 2010: New Superman Movie Not a Remake
- October 15, 2010: M. Night Knocked Back Directing Superman
- October 17, 2010: Snyder Says Routh Will Be Considered for Superman Role
- October 18, 2010: Snyder Uncertain About Superman in 3D
- October 21, 2010: Another Zack Snyder Interview About Superman
- October 21, 2010: Snyder Looking for Middle-Aged Superman?
- October 28, 2010: Hans Zimmer Talks Superman Movie Music
- October 30, 2010: Donner Says Snyder is Good Director
- November 1, 2010: Zemeckis Says He Turned Down Superman
- November 1, 2010: Mark Waid Talks Superman Movies
- November 4, 2010: Zack Snyder Promises Different Superman Movie
- November 7, 2010: Joe Manganiello Negotiating to Play Superman
- November 8, 2010: Bryan Singer's Thoughts on Snyder's Superman Movie
- November 11, 2010: Jon Hamm Talks Middle-Aged Superman
- November 15, 2010: Ratner Envious But Happy For Snyder
- November 18, 2010: The Search For Movie Superman
- November 22, 2010: Superman Movie Casting Sides Posted
- November 22, 2010: Latest Superman Movie Casting Rumor - Matthew Goode
- November 23, 2010: Dwayne Johnson: I Would Make a Great Superman!
- November 23, 2010: DiCaprio Persuaded Efron Away From Superman
- November 27, 2010: Casting Not Yet Started on Superman Movie?
- November 28, 2010: Affleck Talks Superman Movie
- December 1, 2010: Snyder Given Free Reign Over Superman?
- December 1, 2010: Hans Zimmer Scoring New Superman Movie
- December 3, 2010: Kristina Anapau as Lois Lane?
- December 6, 2010: Hans Zimmer Not Scoring Superman
- December 6, 2010: Joe Manganiello Answers Superman Rumors
- December 17, 2010: Superman Movie Shooting in Vancouver
- December 21, 2010: David Goyer's Thoughts on Superman: Secret Origin
Christopher Reeve Movie News:
- January 7, 2010: Bruce Davidson Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- January 14, 2010: Rumor Control - No Lois Lane in Crisis on Two Earths
- January 19, 2010: First Official Clip From Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- January 21, 2010: More Fight Scenes from Crisis on Two Earths
- January 25, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- January 26, 2010: Crisis on Two Earths Website Updated
- January 27, 2010: Andrea Romano Discusses Casting Crisis on Two Earths
- February 2, 2010: New Clip from Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- February 5, 2010: Big-Screen Premieres for Crisis on Two Earths
- February 8, 2010: Get Your Crisis on Two Earths Virtual Collector Cards
- February 9, 2010: Superman/Batman - Journey to the Dark Side?
- February 17, 2010: James Woods Talks Owlman in Crisis on Two Earths
- February 17, 2010: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Updates
- February 18, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- February 19, 2010: Lauren Montgomery Talks Crisis on Two Earths
- February 19, 2010: Crisis on Two Earths Interview and Sneak Peek
- February 22, 2010: Bruce Timm on Crisis on Two Earths and Beyond
- February 22, 2010: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Soundtrack
- February 23, 2010: Gina Torres Talks Superwoman on Crisis on Two Earths
- February 23, 2010: Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Interviews
- February 25, 2010: James Woods Talks Owlman on Crisis on Two Earths
- May 27, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Animated Movie
- June 25, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse DVD Artwork
- June 28, 2010: Summer Glau is Supergirl in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- June 29, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Official Press Release
- July 2, 2010: Australian Release of Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- July 5, 2010: Pre-Order Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- July 10, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Trailer Online
- July 15, 2010: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- July 16, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Australian Release
- July 20, 2010: Secret Origins: The Story of DC Comics Panel at SDCC
- July 22, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Australian Release
- July 27, 2010: Dwayne McDuffie's Next Project an All-Star Superman Animated Feature
- August 2, 2010: Superman/Batman Animated Clips and Behind-the-Scenes Footage
- August 6, 2010: George Newbern Returns as Superman in Superman/Shazam
- August 10, 2010:DC Showcase Original Shorts Details
- August 10, 2010: Superman/Shazam Interview with Director Joaquim Dos Santos
- August 10, 2010: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- August 11, 2010: Secret Origin - The Story of DC Comics DVD
- August 11, 2010: DC Comics Documentary Coming November 2010
- August 12, 2010: Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics Trailer
- August 12, 2010: ITunes Offers Superman: Doomsday with Bonus Content
- August 26, 2010: Ed Asner Returns as Granny Goodness in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 1, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Premiere Announced
- September 4, 2010: DVD Back Cover Art for Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- September 4, 2010: DVD Back Cover Art for Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics
- September 15, 2010: New Video Clip from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 17, 2010: Kevin Conroy Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 17, 2010: All-Star Superman Animated Cast Confirmed
- September 18, 2010: New Preview Video Clip From Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 20, 2010: New Clip from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 22, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 23, 2010: More Red Carpet Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Interviews
- September 23, 2010: Summer Glau Introduces New Clip from Apocalypse
- September 23, 2010: All-Star Superman Trailer Debuts Online
- September 23, 2010: Tim Daly Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 26, 2010: More Apocalypse LA Premiere Red Carpet Interviews
- September 27, 2010: Tim Daly Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 28, 2010: Summer Glau Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 28, 2010: Lauren Montgomery Talks Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- September 28, 2010: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - Comic Book Comparison
- October 4, 2010: Warner Home Video Spotlights Superman at NYCC
- October 6, 2010: Superman Movie Inspired by Birthright Comic?
- October 10, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks All-Star Superman Animated Movie
- October 10, 2010: Michael Jelenic Talks Superman/Shazam Animated Short
- October 20, 2010: Bruce Timm Talks All-Star Superman Animated Movie
- November 2, 2010: Michael Jelenic Talks Superman/Shazam!
- November 3, 2010: Superman/Shazam Preview Clip
- November 7, 2010: Superman/Shazam Preview Clip #2
- November 9, 2010: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
- November 9, 2010: Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics
- November 9, 2010: DC Showcase Director Jaoquim Dos Santos
- November 29, 2010: All-Star Superman Animated Movie Details
- December 13, 2010: All-Star Superman Back Cover Artwork
Other Movie News:
- January 4, 2010: Superman Double Feature at Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood
- January 6, 2010: Superman: The Movie Screening in Pittsburgh
- January 8, 2010: Christopher Reeve Superman Cinemaquette
- January 25, 2010: General Zod Movie Costume on Auction
- January 29, 2010: Get 10% Off a Superman Movie Tour in NY
- January 30, 2010: Details on Christopher Reeve Superman Cinemaquette
- February 22, 2010: Ilya Salkind to Make First Convention Appearance
- February 28, 2010: Ilya Salkind's First Convention Appearance Report
- March 10, 2010: Ilya Salkind Appearing at Emerald City Comicon
- March 18, 2010: Lois Lane's Expensive Apartment
- March 23, 2010: Margot Kidder Appearing at Pittsburgh Comicon
- March 24, 2010: Ilya Salkind Appearing at Metropolis Superman Celebration
- April 3, 2010: Superman: The Movie Screening in North Carolina
- April 4, 2010: Fan's Tribute to Christopher Reeve
- April 6, 2010: Superman Concert and Movie Screening
- April 12, 2010: Superman IV Costume on Auction
- April 13, 2010: Ilya Salkind Appearing at Anaheim Comic Con
- April 20, 2010: Superman: The Movie Screening in Las Vegas
- April 21, 2010: Audio From Anaheim Wizard World Superman Panel
- April 23, 2010: Ilya Salkind Interview
- April 25, 2010: Margot Kidder at Pittsburgh Comic Con
- July 21, 2010: Flashback to Superman: The Movie Radio & TV Spots
- August 2, 2010: Superman Movie Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz Dead at 68
- August 4, 2010: Superman Movie Producer Ilya Salkind on Death of Tom Mankiewicz
- August 10, 2010: Margot Kidder in Love, Loss, and What I Wore
- August 23, 2010: Superman II Director Richard Lester Donates Archive to British Film Institute
- September 6, 2010: Looking Back - Margot Kidder Superman IV Interview
- September 14, 2010: Honor Christopher Reeve on His Birthday
- September 16, 2010: Richard Donner Biography Out in November
- September 18, 2010: Superman: The Movie To Be Shown on U.K. Dam
- October 10, 2010: Remembering Two Supermen
- October 24, 2010: Superman Cinematographer Robert Paynter Dies
- November 4, 2010: Tom Mankiewicz on Superman
- November 21, 2010: Christopher Reeve 12 inch Superman Action Figure
- November 21, 2010: Will Reeve Pays Tribute to Chris and Dana
- January 10, 2010: Creator of Tech Used in Superman Returns to Receive Honorary Oscar
- January 19, 2010: No Superman Cameo in Green Lantern Movie
- January 27, 2010: Matthew Bomer Recalls Superman Screen Test
- January 29, 2010: Routh and Slater Raise Funds for Haiti
- February 5, 2010: No Superman Curse for Brandon Routh
- February 13, 2010: A Look at the WB's Jeff Robinov
- March 4, 2010: Stunt Coordinator Talks Justice League: Mortal
- March 15, 2010: Christian Bale Was Almost Superman
- March 21, 2010: Eva Marie Saint Recalls Superman Returns
- April 7, 2010: Examination of the Fleischer Superman Cartoons
- April 30, 2010: The Search for the Missing Jumpin Jive
- June 15, 2010: Ashton Kutcher Recalls His Superman Audition
- June 20, 2010: Interview with Brandon Routh's Dad for Father's Day
- June 21, 2010: Megamind Animated Movie Has Superman Overtones
- June 27, 2010: Brandon Routh Talks Superman Returns and Smallville
- June 28, 2010: Cary Bates Recalls Superman V: Superman Reborn
- August 3, 2010: Cancelled Justice League Movie Interview
- August 12, 2010: Brandon Routh to Appear at Dragon-Con
- August 26, 2010: Ohhhhhh Boy. This is Gonna Be A Hard One
- August 27, 2010: Edgar Wright's Comic Book Top Fifty
- September 7, 2010: Clint Eastwood Knocked Back Superman Role
- September 20, 2010: First Look at Superman XXX
- September 27, 2010: Waiting For Superman Documentary
- October 3, 2010: Armie Hammer Talks Never-Made JLA Movie
- October 10, 2010: Remembering Two Supermen
- October 10, 2010: Never-Made Superman Movies Examined
- October 29, 2010: Tim Burton's Superman Lives Photos
- November 5, 2010: Michael Dougherty Talks Superman Returns
- November 9, 2010: Superman Requiem Fan Film
- November 23, 2010: Superman Returns Costume to Sell at Auction
- December 5, 2010: Never-Used Superman and Doomsday Movie Designs
- December 5, 2010: Heroic Ambition Documentary Reminder
- December 8, 2010: Even More Tim Burton Superman Lives Designs
- December 8, 2010: No Clark Kent Cameo in Green Lantern Movie
- December 16, 2010: Kevin Spacey Talks About Playing Lex Luthor
- December 16, 2010: Superman Lives Healing Suit Test Footage
- December 22, 2010: Academic Essay on Superman Returns
Back to the News Archive Contents
Back to the Latest News page.