Superman on Television
Justice League: Episode Reviews
Season 1 - Episodes 14-15: "Fury"Reviewed by: Barry Freiman
Things I Learned While Watching "Fury"
- I don't like the Amazons. Their presence is a reminder that Wonder Woman isn't unique.
- Mirrors aren't bolted to the walls in secret installations.
- Made-up villains like Tsukuri (are you listening Devil Ray?) aren't necessary when there's an entire DCU to pick and choose from.
- Batman is always cool thanks to Kevin Conroy.
- Cool or not, when facing a pack of super villains, Batman should assume he's facing someone with super powers so he's not bonked off-guard like he was by Fury.
- Wonder Woman doesn't need a stick - or perfume -- to beat men off.
- Amazon jewelry is a little showy for my taste.
- Animated dead zombies love jewels - just ask Grundy.
- Amazons say the silliest things to outsiders: "A stranger. Get her!"
- The fight between Superman and Fury at the gem depository is proof of the early JL criticism that they intentionally de-powered Superman.
- When Superman yells "Stop!", nobody listens.
- These first season two-parters really do drag in hindsight.
- Amazonian Queens count among their powers the ability to speak to necklaces. There's no other reason I can think of that Hippolyta knew just from looking at the necklace Hawkgirl brought with her to Paradise Island that it belonged to Arisia/Fury. Except maybe an inscription.
- When the Amazons insist on solitary meditation, they mean it. This is why Man's World doesn't grant bail to flight risks.
- All this advanced thinking and the Amazons haven't even invented a light bulb.
- So Arisia's just Kate Winslet in a "Titanic" situation...
- There's a difference between nursing someone back to health and endowing them magically with Amazonian strength - too bad Hippolyta didn't realize that.
- The presence of books from Man's World in Arisia's quarters gives new meaning to "Amazon.com" - what are shipping charges to a land populated by buxom women? I suppose we could always ask Hugh Hefner.
- The League really ought to require flu shots.
- Solomon Grundy is a man where it counts - otherwise, he wouldn't have succumbed to the men-only virus.
- Batman's a girl, Batman's a girl!
- A non-powered Batman pushing a super powered Wonder Woman out of the way of an out-of-control bus is just silly. Hey Bruce, chivalry's dead when the woman is able to bench-press a bus.
- So Martian men aren't really men? But Kryptonians and the animated deceased are? All-righty then. (See point #30 below)
- Segregation is bad.
- It's easy to hate men when you're immortal and don't have to worry about perpetuation of the species and silly things like that.
- Anything men can do, women can do better - including cop, firefighter, and military police.
- Queen Hippolyta needs a lesson in basic fighting skills, not to mention taking the "enemy" by surprise.
- I wanna party with Hawkgirl.
- Bla, bla, bla, those Amazons sure can talk.
- I'm happy to report J'onn J'onnz is all man. Finally, he succumbed to the allergen.
- For a bunch of heroes the majority of whom can fly, they relied on the Javelin way too much in the first season.
- Amazonian Queens get into more trouble than Lois Lane.
- This idea really should be revisited in the Unlimited setting - what this episode really needed was Supergirl.
- Peace out.
Back to the "Justice League: Episode Reviews" Contents page.