2005 Comic Book News Archives
March 20, 2005: Superman Panel at Wizard World LATo start their weekend at the Wizard World LA Comic Con, DC Comics held an hour-long presentation titled "Superman: Beyond the Man of Tomorrow". Speaking at this panel were DC VP - Executive Dan Didio, Superman Group Editor Eddie Berganza, and Superman writers Gail Simone (Action Comics), Greg Rucka (Adventures of Superman), Grant Morrison (All-Star Superman), Jeph Loeb (Superman/Batman), Mark Verheiden (Superman) and Adventures artist Karl Kerschl.
Some of the highlights to come out of the panel included...
- In Adventures of Superman, the big upcoming storyline is the unmasking of the villain Ruin. His identity will lead to complications that will have a ripple effect throughout the DCU.
Also, Lois finds out who shot her, which will also have ramifications for the DCU at large.
- Over in Superman/Batman, Jeph Loeb said Carlos Pacheco's issues are finished, and tie up the "Absolute Power" storyline. Asked if that storyline was an imaginary or "What If" story, Loeb said, "No", indicating there are implications from that storyline that will actually play out in Adventures.
Issue #19 leads into the summer debuting Supergirl series with Ian Churchill. Loeb's last arc features a take on a government-sponsored team of heroes, which the writer said, "People will find to be "Marvelous".
Loeb added that by the end of his run with issue #25, he will have tied up questions surrounding where Lex Luthor is and who is the Superman from the future that appeared in issue #2.
- In Superman, Mark Verheiden plans to pick up where the Brian Azzarello story left off. He wants to bring back the magic and mystery of Superman and his powers, and to look at Superman's powers very closely, as he feels they are even more amazing than the DCU understands.
Superman will also be exploring his "alienness", how that impacts people on Earth and how they feel about living with an alien among them.
Villains appearing in the title will be obscure 70's villain Blackrock, and Brainaic is returning.
- Gail Simone's first issue of Action Comics features Dr. Polaris being chased by a new villainess with magnetic powers called The Pulse.
Simone told fans she wants to concentrate on Lois, to show her to be the kind of women that Superman would fall in love with and spend the rest of his life with. She hopes to get her back to being a strong investigate journalist, moving her out of the shadow of Superman, where the writer thinks Lois can sometimes fall.
Asked if artist (and former Superman writer) John Byrne is aiding with the writing of Action, Simone said Byrne has been very supportive and once in a while will have some questions or suggestions, but she is writing the book solo and Byrne is fine with that.
- July will start a crossover "mega-story" that will begin in Superman, continue in Action, then in Adventures, and then conclude in Wonder Woman. Brainaic, Darkseid and Ruin will appear.
2005 Comic NewsListed below are all the Comic News items archived for 2005.
- January 7, 2005: Loeb Talks About Supergirl
- January 10, 2005: Dwayne McDuffie Talks Up-Coming Justice League Unlimited
- January 16, 2005: Superman Comics Amongst Best Sellers for 2004
- January 26, 2005: Karl Kerschl Signs 2-Year Exclusive Contract with DC
- January 27, 2005: Dan Didio Talks About DC Countdown
- February 9, 2005: Three Issues of JLA's Sydnicate Rules Have Sold Out
- February 15, 2005: Superman Copyright Lawsuit Explained
- February 20, 2005: DCU Panel at WonderCon
- February 23, 2005: Superman #213 Sold Out at DC Comics
- March 1, 2005: Superman Comics Return to Argentina
- March 3, 2005: Battle for Superman Ownership Explained
- March 8, 2005: Superman #215 to Feature Second Cover
- March 20, 2005: Superman Panel at Wizard World LA
- March 21, 2005: Kennedy Talks Superman: Infinite City
- March 22, 2005: Comic Buyer's Guide Honors DC Comics Talent
- March 25, 2005: Lee Bermejo Talks Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
- March 25, 2005: Superman Related Information in Wizard #163
- March 28, 2005: DC's Countdown to Infinite Crisis on Sale this Week
- March 29, 2005: Lex Luthor: Man of Steel #1 Sold Out at DC Comics
- March 30, 2005: Countdown to Infinite Crisis Sells Out, Rushed Back to Press
- March 30, 2005: Superman Stars at Comic Conventions
- April 4, 2005: Jeph Loeb Talks Supergirl
- April 14, 2005: Action Comics #1 and Superman #1 on Auction
- April 19, 2005: DC Comics Rushes Sold-Out OMAC PROJECT #1 Back to Press
- April 21, 2005: Mark Verheiden Talks Superman
- April 24, 2005: Villains United #1 Sells Out at DC Comics
- April 25, 2005: 1st Annual Shuster Awards in Canada
- April 26, 2005: Superman Artist Ed Benes Renews Exclusive Agreement with DC
- May 8, 2005: DC Comics to Unveil a New Logo
- May 8, 2005: DC Comics Rush Solicits Prelude to Infinite Crisis Special
- May 9, 2005: DC Comics Unveils New Logo
- May 10, 2005: Superman #214 Sells Out at DC Comics
- May 10, 2005: Superman/Batman #19 to be Reprinted as Supergirl #0
- May 10, 2005: Michael Turner Provides Variant Cover for Supergirl #1
- May 10, 2005: Ed Benes on Drawing Superman
- May 11, 2005: Richard Bruning on Designing New DC Logo
- May 17, 2005: Omac Project #1 Returns to Press for a New Third Printing
- May 18, 2005: DC Offers Retailers Superman Action Figure with Justice #1
- May 23, 2005: Jeph Loeb Talks Superman/Batman With a Vengeance
- May 23, 2005: DC Sends Villains United #1 Back for Third Printing
- May 24, 2005: More Superman Comics Sell Out at DC
- May 25, 2005: Jeph Loeb Talks Superman - Past, Present and Future
- May 30, 2005: Karl Kerschl Adventures of Superman Page By Page PodCast
- June 1, 2005: OMAC Units in Adventures of Superman #640
- June 6, 2005: Karl Kerschl Adventures of Superman PodCast Part 2
- June 7, 2005: The OMAC Project #2 Sells Out at DC
- June 14, 2005: Eddie Berganza to Leave Superman Books for JLA
- June 15, 2005: Superman/Batman #20 Sells Out at DC Comics
- June 15, 2005: Karl Kerschl Sketch Session - Drawing Darkseid
- June 17, 2005: Sad News for the Loeb Family
- June 20, 2005: Gail Simone Talks About Action Comics and the Core of Superman
- June 20, 2005: Villains United #2 Sells Out at DC Comics
- June 23, 2005: Paul Cassidy, the Man Credited with Putting S on Cape, Dies
- July 5, 2005: DC Comics Panels at San Diego Comic Con
- July 7, 2005: Alex Ross Talks Justice
- July 12, 2005: Identity Crisis #1 Final Printing Sold Out at DC Comics
- July 17, 2005: Superman Panel at San Diego Comic Con
- July 17, 2005: DCU Panel at San Diego Comic Con
- July 27, 2005: Greg Rucka Talks Sacrifice in Superman Books
- July 27, 2005: Parts 1 & 2 of Superman Sacrifice Storyline Sold Out at DC
- August 2, 2005: DC Sends 4-Part Sacrifice Story Back to Press
- August 3, 2005: Karl Kerschl PodCast on Creation of Adventures of Superman #642
- August 9, 2005: Jeph Loeb Talks About Supergirl
- August 9, 2005: DC Lowers Prices on First Two Showcase Collections
- August 9, 2005: Greg Rucka's HorCast #14 PodCast Online
- August 10, 2005: DC Announces Collected Editions for Nov-Dec 2005
- August 14, 2005: New Printing of Supergirl #1 Follows One-Day Sellouts!
- August 16, 2005: DC Announces Michael Turner Supergirl Variant Covers
- August 16, 2005: Press Release - Horhaus.com PodCasts
- September 12, 2005: Adventures of Superman #643 Back to Press
- September 13, 2005: Supergirl #1 Gets Third Printing
- September 13, 2005: Infinite Crisis #1 Preview
- September 14, 2005: HorCast #20 - A Chat with Eddie Berganza
- September 15, 2005: Jeph Loeb on Superman Returns, Infinite Crisis, and Supergirl
- September 20, 2005: Justice Prevails as Justice #1 Sells Out at DC
- September 22, 2005: HorCast #21 - Eddie Berganza Chat Part 2
- September 29, 2005: Justice #1 Gets Second Printing
- September 30, 2005: All-Star Superman Preview
- October 3, 2005: Neal Adams Covers All-Star Superman
- October 15, 2005: Gail Simone and John Byrne Leave Action Comics
- October 18, 2005: Gail Simone Talks Leaving Action Comics
- October 19, 2005: Neal Adams Provides Variant Cover for All Star Superman #1
- October 20, 2005: DC Comics Announced Variant Cover for Supergirl #4
- October 26, 2005: Mark Verheiden Moves to Superman/Batman
- October 30, 2005: Gail Simone Talks JLA Classified #16
- October 30, 2005: Mark Waid Talks Superman Returns and Birthright
- November 2, 2005: Armageddon Expo - Auckland New Zealand October 22-24, 2005
- November 9, 2005: Crisis Counseling with Dan Didio
- November 15, 2005: Marv Wolfman Talks Infinite Crisis Secret Files 2006
- November 27, 2005: Greg Rucka to Take Over Supergirl
- November 30, 2005: DC Comics Superhero Stamps in 2006
- December 14, 2005: Supergirl Joining the Legion of Superheroes
- December 19, 2005: Josh Middleton Talks Shazam/Superman First Thunder
- December 20, 2005: Meltzer to Relaunch JLA Comic Title
- December 21, 2005: Second Printing for Justice #2
- December 22, 2005: Brad Meltzer Talks Taking on the JLA
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.