2001 Merchandise & Miscellaneous News Archives
August 7, 2001: Superman Roller Coaster CrashAGAWAM, Mass., Aug 6 (Reuters) - Two roller coaster cars collided in a loading area at an amusement park in western Massachusetts on Monday, injuring at least 19 people, park and fire officials said.
None of the injuries at the Six Flags New England amusement park in the town of Agawam were life-threatening, said a spokesman for the Agawam fire department.
"We transported 19 people (to hospitals)," said the spokesman, Lt. Gary Brown. "It was neck and back strains and sprains," he said, as well as some facial injuries.
The two cars collided at about 3 p.m. in the loading zone of the Superman Ride of Steel as one car was arriving and another leaving, a statement issued by the park said. The roller coaster was closed after the accident but the rest of the park remained open, the statement said.
Billed as one of the tallest and fastest roller coasters in the world, the Superman Ride of Steel climbs 208 feet and reaches maximum speed of 80mph on its mile-long course, according to the Six Flags Website.
The cause of the accident was under investigation by state and local authorities as well as park officials and the ride's manufacturer, said Agawam Police Chief Robert Campbell. The roller coaster was stopped pending the outcome of the probe, he said.
"They called in inspectors from the manufacturers, we've notified state authorities and people from our own building department will go down there and look into it," he said.
Ten of the injured were taken to Bay State Medical Center in nearby Springfield, said hospital spokesman Mike Kintner, who described their injuries as "relatively minor."
It was the second roller coaster accident in New England in two weeks. On July 27, five people were slightly injured at Canobie Lake Park in Salem, New Hampshire.
2001 Merchandise & Miscellaneous NewsListed below are all the Merchandise & Miscellaneous News items archived for 2001.
- January 19, 2001: Gotta Have Soul: Superman Embarks on an All-New 3-D Adventure
- February 6, 2001: Superman Stamps from Kirgistan & Tadjikistan
- February 8, 2001: Warner Bros. Store Closures
- March 14, 2001: Large Super Hero Collection up for Auction
- April 22, 2001: DC Projects in the Works
- May 25, 2001: Clark Kent/Superman Doll
- May 29, 2001: New Superman Games - Update!
- June 4, 2001: New Superman Games - Update!
- June 6, 2001: Superman At Jack!
- June 11, 2001: Superman on Stage!
- June 24, 2001: 2001 Superman Celebration Report
- June 24, 2001: Satirical Superman Film - Hotel Superman
- June 27, 2001: Superman in Topps Vault!
- July 8, 2001: Superman Roller Coaster Still No. 1
- July 8, 2001: DC's Tenth Web Animation Showcases DC Direct Superman Set
- July 17, 2001: Schylling Superman Toys
- July 17, 2001: New Online Superman Episodes
- July 19, 2001: Animated Justice League Merchandise
- July 19, 2001: Superman Celebration in Brazil
- July 21, 2001: DC Launch DC Direct Website
- July 26, 2001: DC Direct at the San Diego Comic Con
- July 30, 2001: Fans Looking to Create Superman Game
- July 30, 2001: Superman Homepage Voted No. 1
- July 31, 2001: Alaska Comic Store and Lois Lane
- August 1, 2001: Lifesize 7-Foot Superman Statue
- August 2, 2001: DC Comics Teams Up with WizKids
- August 6, 2001: Cuban Anti-Superman Statue
- August 7, 2001: Superman Roller Coaster Crash
- August 24, 2001: Fan Petition Over Hasbro Action Figures
- August 30, 2001: Sneak Peek at Up-Coming Superman Game
- September 18, 2001: Operation Superman
- September 23, 2001: Superman Relief Fund
- October 22, 2001: Toys R Us Superman Action Figure 4-Pack
- November 2, 2001: Superman BellyWashers!
- November 4, 2001: Superman Homepage Reviewed in Australian Magazine
- November 21, 2001: Superman Homepage Featured in TV Guide!
- November 23, 2001: New 9 Inch Superman Figure
- November 26, 2001: New Superman Game Information
- November 29, 2001: A Stern Superman Webisode
- December 3, 2001: New Superman Escape from Krypton Game Online
- December 3, 2001: DC's Website Promoted Through AOL
- December 9, 2001: Pocket Super Heroes from DC Comics
- December 14, 2001: New DC Hero Fast Food Promotion
- December 19, 2001: Ending Hatred of U.S. is a Job for Superman!
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.