2001 Merchandise & Miscellaneous News Archives
February 8, 2001: Warner Bros. Store ClosuresWith the AOL Time Warner merger officially announced, Warner Bros. has scaled back its retail business and closed eight of its U.S. studio stores at the end of January.
Analysts expect the studio to close up to one-third of its 140 specialty retail stores in total, and sources confirm that at least 50% of the company's underperforming retail operations have been targeted for potential shuttering. Warner Bros. also has temporarily shut down its online store operations as it evaluates what to do with that side of the business.
A Warner Bros. spokeswoman said the company plans to relocate its Fifth Avenue store, which opened to much fanfare in 1993, to the new America Online-Time Warner headquarters building that is under construction at Columbus Square. The building is slated for completion in 2003. She said Time Warner is continuing to review its retail operations as part of a strategy that was announced in 1999 but that it doesn't know yet how many more stores it will close.
The Warner Bros. stores slated for shuttering were in the Beverly Center in Los Angeles, the Gardens in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., the Stanford Center in Palo Alto, Calif., the Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, Va., the Willow Grove Mall in Willow Grove, Pa., the Burlington Mall in Burlington, Mass., and Bridgewater Mall in Bridgewater, N.J.
For now, however, the Warner Bros. online store remains closed. The company ceased taking orders on December 21, 2000 after heavy holiday volume and is in the middle of evaluating what it will do with the operation, a spokeswoman said."
Source: Hollywood Reporter.
Author: Laura Randall.
2001 Merchandise & Miscellaneous NewsListed below are all the Merchandise & Miscellaneous News items archived for 2001.
- January 19, 2001: Gotta Have Soul: Superman Embarks on an All-New 3-D Adventure
- February 6, 2001: Superman Stamps from Kirgistan & Tadjikistan
- February 8, 2001: Warner Bros. Store Closures
- March 14, 2001: Large Super Hero Collection up for Auction
- April 22, 2001: DC Projects in the Works
- May 25, 2001: Clark Kent/Superman Doll
- May 29, 2001: New Superman Games - Update!
- June 4, 2001: New Superman Games - Update!
- June 6, 2001: Superman At Jack!
- June 11, 2001: Superman on Stage!
- June 24, 2001: 2001 Superman Celebration Report
- June 24, 2001: Satirical Superman Film - Hotel Superman
- June 27, 2001: Superman in Topps Vault!
- July 8, 2001: Superman Roller Coaster Still No. 1
- July 8, 2001: DC's Tenth Web Animation Showcases DC Direct Superman Set
- July 17, 2001: Schylling Superman Toys
- July 17, 2001: New Online Superman Episodes
- July 19, 2001: Animated Justice League Merchandise
- July 19, 2001: Superman Celebration in Brazil
- July 21, 2001: DC Launch DC Direct Website
- July 26, 2001: DC Direct at the San Diego Comic Con
- July 30, 2001: Fans Looking to Create Superman Game
- July 30, 2001: Superman Homepage Voted No. 1
- July 31, 2001: Alaska Comic Store and Lois Lane
- August 1, 2001: Lifesize 7-Foot Superman Statue
- August 2, 2001: DC Comics Teams Up with WizKids
- August 6, 2001: Cuban Anti-Superman Statue
- August 7, 2001: Superman Roller Coaster Crash
- August 24, 2001: Fan Petition Over Hasbro Action Figures
- August 30, 2001: Sneak Peek at Up-Coming Superman Game
- September 18, 2001: Operation Superman
- September 23, 2001: Superman Relief Fund
- October 22, 2001: Toys R Us Superman Action Figure 4-Pack
- November 2, 2001: Superman BellyWashers!
- November 4, 2001: Superman Homepage Reviewed in Australian Magazine
- November 21, 2001: Superman Homepage Featured in TV Guide!
- November 23, 2001: New 9 Inch Superman Figure
- November 26, 2001: New Superman Game Information
- November 29, 2001: A Stern Superman Webisode
- December 3, 2001: New Superman Escape from Krypton Game Online
- December 3, 2001: DC's Website Promoted Through AOL
- December 9, 2001: Pocket Super Heroes from DC Comics
- December 14, 2001: New DC Hero Fast Food Promotion
- December 19, 2001: Ending Hatred of U.S. is a Job for Superman!
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.