Mild Mannered Reviews - Legion of Super-Heroes Comic Books
Legion of Super-Heroes #11Scheduled to arrive in stores: November 24, 2020
Cover date: January 2021
"The Legion of Super-Heroes"
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciller: Ryan Sook
Inker: Wade Von Grawbadger
Cover: Ryan Sook
Variant Cover: Nicola Scott
Reviewed by: James Lantz
Throughout the universe, various Legionnaires are busy with other adventures as a great darkness seems on the way. Mon-El is recounting previous events after his recent tantrums, which he reveals to the reader were due to confusion over the reasons of Jon Kent's arrival in the 31st Century. Jon, Saturn Girl and Doctor Fate use an old cape of Superman's to search for Mordru. Ultra Boy is trying to bring Rimbor's government into the 31st Century with new ideas, and Triplicate Girl needs Dream Girl and Saturn Girl to decipher the meaning of a nightmare that could help the Legion of Super-Heroes against the great darkness. They may not get a chance to learn more. New Krypton is under attack, and the entire Legion may be needed to defend it.
Legion liaison Rose Thorn has brought a group of Legionnaires to Daxam's low levels only to be attacked by Mordru. This brings Thorn out of Rose for the first time in nearly a century. Meanwhile on Earth, Brainiac 5 and White Witch examine Gold Lantern's ring when they receive word of the attack on New Krypton and all other events occurring in this issue. As the available Legionnaires prepare to teleport to New Krypton, Saturn Girl and Jon arrive there face to face with Rogol Zaar, who is standing over the bodies of Kryptonians he has slaughtered.
Story - 4: I did like this issue quite a bit. However, it did feel like Bendis is trying to put two or three issues worth of story into one. By the time this chapter changes scenes, we aren't given enough time to process events on the previous page. Perhaps Bendis wants to focus more on the books' runs he's ending for DC. These are just minor critiques on my part. I'd still recommend this issue to any Legion of Super-Heroes fan.
Art - 5: The art seems to channel Mike Allred at times, but that's a good thing. Every page is still classic Ryan Sook Legion. He's the perfect fit for this title.
Cover Art - 4: Will DC shrink that %$#@ logo already? Its current size distracts from this wonderfully drawn image.
Variant Cover Art - 5: It's another iconic variant that is perfectly rendered. Jon Kent is especially well drawn in this one.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1
- Future State: Justice League #1
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1
- Future State: Batman/Superman #1
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #6
- Challenge of the Super Sons #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #8
- Challenge of the Super Sons #9
- Challenge of the Super Sons #10
- Truth & Justice #4
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #2
- Future State: Justice League #2
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #2
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2
- Future State: Batman/Superman #2
- Future State: Superman: House of El #1
- Truth & Justice #5
- Truth & Justice #6
- Infinite Frontier #0
- Crime Syndicate #1
- Superman #29
- Action Comics #1028
- Superman: Red and Blue #1 [of 6]
- Batman/Superman #16
- Justice League #59
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.