Mild Mannered Reviews - Justice League Comic Books
Justice League #59Scheduled to arrive in stores: March 16, 2021
Cover date: May 2021
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciller: David Marquez
Inker: David Marquez
Cover: David Marquez
Variant Cover: Tamra Bonvillain
Reviewed by: James Lantz
A boy in Kahndaq is paying his respects to his mother when Black Adam arrives at a cemetery to do the same for his beloved. Their conversation and solemn moment are interrupted by the demon-like creature from another universe, Brutus, who seems to be ill prepared for Adam and the Justice League. Hawkgirl's Nth Metal mace seems to react to Brutus. Other than that, little is known about this new threat. The Justice League will need every mind at their disposal if they are to learn of Brutus' true intentions. Otherwise, their ignorance could prove fatal for the entire multiverse.
The Justice League has discovered that Brutus' energy signature is similar to another, Naomi McDuffie. They'll have to get to her before Brutus finds her, but Black Adam has also found her. Will he and the Justice League have the same agenda, or will they be forced to fight one another before Brutus returns to their dimension?
NOTE: Ram V. and Xermanico collaborated on a Justice League Dark bonus story in this issue.
Story - 5: While Bendis did an incredible job on Superman, Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil, his writing strengths clearly lie in team books like this one. Much like his Avengers, he puts a new spin on classic characters and their team dynamic while paying tribute to what's been done before. That combined with his continuing with plot threads and characters he left in his previous DC work makes this a delightful issue to read. Bendis is off to a good start in this series, and I hope he stays with it for a long time.
Art - 4: Superman does look slightly too much like Superboy in some panels. Despite that, the art works well for Bendis' story.
Cover Art - 4: While the League seems too hidden in the shadows, the art is beautifully rendered.
Variant Cover Art - 5: This variant gives one an idea of what the DC Universe is like on so many levels. It's just plain awesome.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1
- Future State: Justice League #1
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1
- Future State: Batman/Superman #1
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #6
- Challenge of the Super Sons #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #8
- Challenge of the Super Sons #9
- Challenge of the Super Sons #10
- Truth & Justice #4
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #2
- Future State: Justice League #2
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #2
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2
- Future State: Batman/Superman #2
- Future State: Superman: House of El #1
- Truth & Justice #5
- Truth & Justice #6
- Infinite Frontier #0
- Crime Syndicate #1
- Superman #29
- Action Comics #1028
- Superman: Red and Blue #1 [of 6]
- Batman/Superman #16
- Justice League #59
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.