Mild Mannered Reviews - Action Comics
Action Comics #1027Scheduled to arrive in stores: November 24, 2020
Cover date: January 2021
"The House of Kent" - Epilogue
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciller: John Romita Jr.
Inker: Klaus Janson
Cover: John Romita Jr.
Variant Cover: Gary Frank
Reviewed by: James Lantz
As Supergirl rescues an unconscious Superman, the Superboys and Brainiac 5 attempt to trap the Red Cloud. Those in the Daily Planet building are looking for a safe place to go while Marisol Leone makes her escape. Red Cloud then finds herself in the Phantom Zone with the Super Family where she is given a choice. She can either go to prison or remain trapped in the Phantom Zone. Either way, she must pay her debt to society for all the death and pain she has caused.
At the Metropolis F.B.I. offices, Agent Chase asks Lois how she got her information for her Invisible Mafia stories in spite of the need to protect sources. Now both women ponder where Leone ran off to. Lois recalls being accused of being from another Earth, leaving her to realize that Marisol Leone is actually from a parallel universe. She can travel from one dimension to another. This explains how the Parasite who killed another Superman came to this Metropolis. Meanwhile, Robinson Goode is in prison as Leone plans her next move elsewhere. With Leone's disappearance, the F.B.I.'s investigation of the Daily Planet is closed, and the newspaper has a new owner. It's someone nobody would ever expect.
Story - 5: I did not see that conclusion coming. I kind of expected Jimmy to help Perry financially with the paper. It feels like a call back to "Jimmy Olsen, Boy Editor" from season two of the "Adventures of Superman" starring George Reeves. This is just one of the many reasons Bendis has made his work on the Man of Steel's comics so fun to read. I'll miss his writing on this book when he leaves.
Art - 5: It's still rough in spots. However, this issue's art is a vast improvement to other issues in this serial. The rough spots do work in their respective pages though.
Cover Art - 5: Romita's covers have improved along with his interior art. Let's hope the winning streak continues.
Variant Cover Art - 5: Gary Frank is one of the best Superman artists of modern times. The absolute all-time best is Curt Swan, but Frank ranks right up there with him, and this cover proves that.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1
- Future State: Justice League #1
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1
- Future State: Batman/Superman #1
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #6
- Challenge of the Super Sons #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #8
- Challenge of the Super Sons #9
- Challenge of the Super Sons #10
- Truth & Justice #4
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #2
- Future State: Justice League #2
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #2
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2
- Future State: Batman/Superman #2
- Future State: Superman: House of El #1
- Truth & Justice #5
- Truth & Justice #6
- Infinite Frontier #0
- Crime Syndicate #1
- Superman #29
- Action Comics #1028
- Superman: Red and Blue #1 [of 6]
- Batman/Superman #16
- Justice League #59
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.