Mild Mannered Reviews - Justice League Comic Books
DC Future State: Justice League #2 [of 2]Scheduled to arrive in stores: February 9, 2021
Cover date: April 2021
"Future State" - Part Two
Writer: Joshua Williamson
Penciller: Robson Rocha
Inker: Daniel Henriques
Cover: Dan Mora
Variant Cover: Kael Ngu
Reviewed by: James Lantz
The White Martian shapeshifting Hyperclan has banished the Justice League to Hell World, a fiery Earth in another part of the multiverse where the Hyperclan themselves were exiled by the previous League. The Hyperclan is impersonating Jon Kent and the rest of his allies in an effort to sully the heroes' reputations. How Justice League escapes their imprisonment could be a matter of life and death for all life on Earth and in the entire multiverse.
In order to prove they are not White Martians, members of the Justice League reveal secrets to one another. This comes in handy when they return to Earth to fight the Hyperclan. Their impersonation of the League doesn't last. In fact, our heroes' knowledge of one another allows them to uncover who is part of the Hyperclan and defeat the villains. Now, the Hyperclan is back on Hell World, and Jon Kent's Justice League is meeting to discuss new members.
The Justice League Dark story by Ram V. and Marcio Takara also continues in this issue.
Story - 4: This is a good story. However, it feels like two or perhaps even three issues were crammed into the book. Had this Future State event lasted a month longer, perhaps Williamson would have been able to flesh out the areas that feel rushed or left out in his part of the overall arc. In spite of that, the comic is enjoyable. The aforementioned flaws do stick out like a sore thumb though causing it to lose steam somewhat.
Art - 5: Robson Rocha seems at his best when he works on Superman related art, including this one. The scene of the Justice League returning to Earth is particularly mind blowing. I can't wait to see more of his art in Superman's universe.
Cover Art - 5: This another awesome cover that seems influenced by the Justice League comics of the mid-to-late 1980s. Dan Mora should be drawing at least one story arc in the League's main title.
Variant Cover Art - 5: This, to the best of my knowledge, is the first time I've seen Ngu's art. I hope I see more of it.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1
- Future State: Justice League #1
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1
- Future State: Batman/Superman #1
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #6
- Challenge of the Super Sons #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #8
- Challenge of the Super Sons #9
- Challenge of the Super Sons #10
- Truth & Justice #4
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #2
- Future State: Justice League #2
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #2
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2
- Future State: Batman/Superman #2
- Future State: Superman: House of El #1
- Truth & Justice #5
- Truth & Justice #6
- Infinite Frontier #0
- Crime Syndicate #1
- Superman #29
- Action Comics #1028
- Superman: Red and Blue #1 [of 6]
- Batman/Superman #16
- Justice League #59
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.