Mild Mannered Reviews - Justice League Comic Books
DC Future State: Justice League #1 [of 2]Scheduled to arrive in stores: January 12, 2021
Cover date: March 2021
"Future State" - Part One
Writer: Joshua Williamson
Penciller: Robson Rocha
Inker: Daniel Henriques
Cover: Dan Mora
Reviewed by: James Lantz
With the multiverse saved from the brink of destruction, from the ashes of Death Metal, comes Future State. The worlds loves the new Justice League led by Jon Kent, who has taken his father's place as Superman. T.O. Morrow and Professor Ivo's Legion of Doom has been found dead in the remains of the derelict Hall of Justice. is debating whether or not to violate the Justice League's rules and add new members. As Green Lantern investigates the crime scene, she is attacked by Superman, who somehow is attacking Aquawoman and the Flash at the same time. However this is possible, the Justice League may need every hero at their disposal to stop Jon Kent.
The shapeshifting White Martian group known as the Hyperclan has been impersonating Superman and the Justice League. The Hyperclan was also responsible for the murder of the Legion of Doom. Their current intention is make the world fear the Justice League.
Story - 5: I went into this one cold, meaning I didn't read anything about the "Future State" event. This helps me say more detached in a sense. I must say this book was quite fun to read, and it's reminiscent of the "DC One Million" crossover from many moons ago. I became cynical about some modern comics roughly a couple of years ago. Yet, this is one that gives me hope for the medium, the industry and the possibilities for the DC Multiverse.
If you want more eerie, supernatural JL adventures, there's a bonus Justice League Dark story by Ram V. and Marcio Takara in this issue as well.
Art - 5: Robson Rocha did an excellent job conveying the characters, lives and worlds of this event. Great art showcases every page and leaps at the reader.
Cover Art - 5: This is an iconic image of this version of the new Justice League. Dan Mora's style reminds me of Kevin McGuire's art.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1 [of 2]
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2 [of 2]
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1 [of 2]
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1 [of 2]
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1 [of 2]
- Future State: Justice League #1 [of 2]
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1 [of 2]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.