Mild Mannered Reviews - Superman Comics
DC Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2 [of 2]Scheduled to arrive in stores: February 2, 2021
Cover date: April 2021
"Superman of Metropolis" - Part 2
Writer: Sean Lewis
Penciller: John Timms
Inker: John Timms
Cover: John Timms and Gabe Eltaeb
Variant Cover: Bixie Mathieu
Reviewed by: Adam Dechanel
Jon confronts Brain Cell on the ship and is taken aback by his motivations. Brain Cell mocks Jon for making stupid decisions his father never would have. To illustrate that, the villain generates digital clones of Jon's father from across time. The villain also points out that through time Clark Kent is the only name remembered, not Jon. An angry Jon takes on the clones but is overwhelmed.
On Earth Kara reawakens and Kelex informs her that they must restore Metropolis or it risks imploding. With all her might Kara races to save her nephew and rescue the bottled city. Brain Cell clones more Supermen and instructs the ship to kill Superman and Supergirl.
Jonathan is at deaths door and seizes the opportunity to use the Nirodhium core to his advantage, taking out Brain Cell and the clones in a powerful feedback of energy. Supergirl approaches, fighting off the ship's defenses and breaches the hull just as Jonathan wins the battle. With the Nirodhium core destroyed Brain Cell is back to being an AI computer and Metropolis is ready to be brought back to Earth.
Differences cast aside the Super family re-enlarge the city and Jonathan works at repairing the damage incurred in his 'rescue' plan. He pledges allegiance to the city his father once protected.
Story - 4: A thoroughly enjoyable end to this visit to Future State Metropolis. The action kept the lite story on the back burner and actually helped keep me engaged. The resolution of the Aunt Kara and unruly nephew was sort of skimmed over but I'm glad it was resolved as it was a bit of a tired comics trope. Could this continue? To be honest I don't mind. It wasn't boring by any stretch. I still don't like Jonathan as Superman but then we all watched Batman Beyond and that was brilliant so... if more comes of this I don't see any harm in it.
Art - 5: The art is still fun and energetic but at times the energy bursts made the fighting a little confusing to figure out. I wish more of the battle with Jonathan and his father's clones had been expanded further as I felt it was over too quickly. Basically I wanted more of the fistfights to give Timms more to play with.
Cover Art - 5: I much prefer this battle scene cover to last issue. It gives it a far more epic feel and made me really want to read the story. It is vibrant, powerful and promises action, action, action!
Variant Cover Art - 5: I like the ominous feel of the Superman clones judging Jonathan, the torchbearer of their legacy. It's beautifully done and as mentioned earlier, I really wish more of this had been explored inside.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1
- Future State: Justice League #1
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1
- Future State: Batman/Superman #1
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #6
- Challenge of the Super Sons #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #8
- Challenge of the Super Sons #9
- Challenge of the Super Sons #10
- Truth & Justice #4
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #2
- Future State: Justice League #2
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #2
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2
- Future State: Batman/Superman #2
- Future State: Superman: House of El #1
- Truth & Justice #5
- Truth & Justice #6
- Infinite Frontier #0
- Crime Syndicate #1
- Superman #29
- Action Comics #1028
- Superman: Red and Blue #1 [of 6]
- Batman/Superman #16
- Justice League #59
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.