Mild Mannered Reviews - Superman Comics
DC Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2 [of 2]Scheduled to arrive in stores: February 9, 2021
Cover date: April 2021
"Two Graves" - Part 2
Writer: Marguerite Bennett
Penciller: Marguerite Sauvage
Inker: Marguerite Sauvage
Cover: Paulina Ganucheau
Variant Covers: Alex Garner
Reviewed by: Adam Dechanel
The aliens known as Lythi have transformed into giant eels and are attacking Kara to get to Lynari and the Starfall Gem. They reveal the truth of how Lynari came into possession of the gem.
Though Kara fights back the creature reveals it has brought a Quantum Detonator. All they want is Lynari if not they will destroy the moon colony. When Kara refuses, the bomb detonates but doesn't do as much damage as anticipated, though it has enraged Kara.
Lynari sees how much Kara is prepared to sacrifice and steals her powers and takes ownership of the situation. She shatters the Starfall gem and by doing so erased all the hatred and greed surrounding it. Lynari is shocked when the Lythi transforms into its true form, her own Aunt Kimara.
Inspired by Kara's work on the moon Lynari, Kimara and the residents work hard over the years to restore the moon base.
The moon base is now named the Eternal Garden. And Kara Zor-El lies resting in peace next to Krypto as the society she built thrives on in the future.
Story - 2: My mistake, I thought this was a Kara Zor-El story. Dull, boring and a sad lonely end for one of DC's iconic characters. Idealistic ending? Yes. Whimsical and airy ending? Yes. A good comic book? No. I feel that perhaps a little girl might find it an enchanting story, so I can't slate it completely but this was a story more about Lynari with Kara just there as a lonely, isolated, guest star.
To be honest I'd prefer to forget I ever read this.
Art - 2: As with last issue, the color palette deadens the energy and action to a sort of dreamy state. I just feel it is trying too hard to appeal to a specific demographic. I'd be interested on hearing the female reader perspective.
Cover Art - 2: Making the monster bigger doesn't make it a bigger, better cover. The eels looks deadly for sure, but Supergirl looks completely out of her depth. Again the color palette ruins it. I'm not sure what they were aiming for.
Variant Cover Art - 5: This cover is pretty cool. Absolutely, hands down, the best part of the book. It even makes that strange costume palatable. Alex Garner hits a home run with this one and it's a shame the book itself is so bad that this art will be buried with it.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1
- Future State: Justice League #1
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1
- Future State: Batman/Superman #1
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #6
- Challenge of the Super Sons #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #8
- Challenge of the Super Sons #9
- Challenge of the Super Sons #10
- Truth & Justice #4
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #2
- Future State: Justice League #2
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #2
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2
- Future State: Batman/Superman #2
- Future State: Superman: House of El #1
- Truth & Justice #5
- Truth & Justice #6
- Infinite Frontier #0
- Crime Syndicate #1
- Superman #29
- Action Comics #1028
- Superman: Red and Blue #1 [of 6]
- Batman/Superman #16
- Justice League #59
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.