Mild Mannered Reviews - Crime Syndicate Comic Books
Crime Syndicate #1Scheduled to arrive in stores: March 2, 2021
Cover date: May 2021
"The New Deal" - Part 1: "Strange Visitor"
Writer: Andy Schmidt
Penciller: Kieran McKeown
Inker: Dexter Vines
Cover: Jim Cheung & Romulo Fajardo Jr.
Variant Cover: Skan
Reviewed by: Craig Boehmer
The issue starts with an altered retelling of the assassination of JFK, who is shown as a dictator that is taken out by Ultraman as a boy. We then get a cool throw back to the Action Comics #1 cover with Ultraman lifting a green truck and smashing through a window. He confronts Cat Grant about an edition of the paper questioning Ultraman's ability to control Metropolis. He cuts their conversation off due to hearing something that needs his attention. We then get a sequence of Superwoman brainwashing the President of the USA, Ollie, she is also interrupted by something odd. Similar scenes play out for Johnny Quick and Power Ring. It is revealed that the disturbance is Starro invading the planet, he quickly gains control of Ultraman. This leads to a closing sequence of Owlman killing a criminal and notifying Gotham that the Talon has arrived. He then comments to Alfred that something has invaded earth, and he hopes to exploit it.
This issue contains a back up story detailing the origins of Ultraman.
Story - 4: If you like the Crime Syndicate, you may find this story more interesting. I like that they are detailing how the Crime Syndicate got together and drawing parallels to the origins of the Justice League. The characterization seems to be spot on. I also like the inclusion of John Stewart as Power Ring, I never really liked the Hal Power Ring character that we got in "Forever Evil".
Art - 4: Kieran McKeown does a good job with the art in this. It's not so good that it sells the issue, but it doesn't distract from the story either. I like the character design for John Stewart Power Ring, and the design for Johnny Quick is so trashy looking, but in a way that looks good for the character.
Cover Art - 5: I love this cover. They are all imposing and shrouded in shadows. Each character looks great and it's a greater teaser for the book.
Mild Mannered Reviews
2021Note: Except for digital first releases, the month dates are from the issue covers, not the actual date when the comic went on sale.
- Superman #27
- Action Comics #1027
- Batman/Superman #14
- Justice League #56
- Justice League #57
- Young Justice #20
- Legion of Super-Heroes #11
- DCeased: Dead Planet #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #1
- Superman: Endless Winter #1 [of 1]
- Superman #28
- Justice League #58
- Action Comics #1028
- Batman/Superman #15
- DCeased: Dead Planet #6 [of 6]
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6 [of 6]
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
- Challenge of the Super Sons #4
- Challenge of the Super Sons #5
- Justice League: Endless Winter #2
- Legion of Super-Heroes #12
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #1
- Future State: Justice League #1
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1
- Future State: Batman/Superman #1
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights - Metal #1
- DCeased: Dead Planet #7
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #6
- Challenge of the Super Sons #7
- Challenge of the Super Sons #8
- Challenge of the Super Sons #9
- Challenge of the Super Sons #10
- Truth & Justice #4
- Future State: Superman of Metropolis #2
- Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #2
- Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman #2
- Future State: Justice League #2
- Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #2
- Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2
- Future State: Batman/Superman #2
- Future State: Superman: House of El #1
- Truth & Justice #5
- Truth & Justice #6
- Infinite Frontier #0
- Crime Syndicate #1
- Superman #29
- Action Comics #1028
- Superman: Red and Blue #1 [of 6]
- Batman/Superman #16
- Justice League #59
- Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3
Back to the Mild Mannered Reviews contents page.
Check out the Comic Index Lists for the complete list of Superman-related comics published in 2021.