2010 Merchandise & Miscellaneous News Archives
June 25, 2010: Exclusive Interview with Superman Matt CavenaughHal Ryder (a Professor of Theater at Cornish College) interviewed Matt Cavenaugh (Clark Kent/Superman) prior to the first preview of "It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman", which opens in Dallas tonight. What follows is a transcript of their phone conversation/interview from the day of the first preview performance...
MC: Hi, this is Matt Cavenaugh calling...
HR: I'm writing for a fan site called Superman Homepage. As you're learning I'm sure there are a bunch of us in theater who are big comic book Superman fans.
MC: Yes. There are.
HR: And perhaps you're becoming one of them.
HR: You're a very accomplished singer/performer/actor and have done some astounding work.
MC: Thank you.
HR: That you're being challenged and all of your skills are being used playing 'The Man of Steel'?
MC: Certainly. First off, it's a pretty demanding role because of all of the flying. I haven't quite mastered the flying without the assistance of wires or anything... Superman had it easy. He just had to levitate or something or shoot off the ground. I need a little help. We've been putting in lots of hours working on the flying system which is physically challenging.
Singing the score: what's great about Charles Strouse's music is that he writes for singers. A lot of composers can write beautiful music, fun music, hummable music, whatever it might be. Certain composers really write songs for singers, that are meant to be sung. This may sound silly... some composers... they would write for instruments or the piece as a whole whereas Strouse's music it really sits well in the voice. I think that's true for all of us, by and large, in the show.
MC: It's a bit overwhelming. Actually the first time we had a fitting for the supersuit as we call it it was the mock up they were fitting to me before the actual suit. I did have a bit of a moment, just sort of nervous laughter as I stared at myself in the mirror thinking "What have I gotten myself into?"
It'll be really telling and fun and interesting tonight, the first time I fly in as Superman and just what that feels like in front of people. Until now I've just been faking it in the studio or in the theater with all the cast around but this is my chance to fly in and see what the reaction is like and what it feels like for me on the inside. I'm really looking forward to that.
HR: Have they adjusted some of the orchestrations from the original? I've been listening to some of the Bob Holiday stuff.
MC: Definitely. In a lot of ways. There've been some new songs written. Some songs that have been reassigned to different characters. Some trunk songs from the Strauss and Adam catalogue that have gone into this. With that comes a lot of new orchestrating as well.
HR: You know way back on the radio show when Bud Collyer adopted some of the change of pitch to play Superman and Clark Kent and Chris Reeve used some of that. Are you incorporating some elements of that?
MC: Yeah. There are some elements of that. The thing with our story too is that Roberto (Aguirre-Sacasa) has set our Superman story in 1939 so that is a very different... a different acting style in rhythm and cadence and how that will be very different from the Christopher Reeve movies. I think that had a certain 70's feel. Certainly different from the latest Superman movie that just came out. "Superman Returns". That seemed to have a real "modern" feel to it in its acting. This is a musical comedy that we're doing set in 1939. It does have a feel of that. The dialogue has some of that snappy, quick repartee feel.
Not necessarily as fast as a screwball comedy like "His Girl Friday" or "My Man Godfrey" - type of quick witty banter would have but it certainly informs what I do.
There is you know a change in vocal pitch and direction - how Clark speaks as opposed to how Superman speaks. That's been interesting to see where and if and when and how much those two personas become one.
HR: That was my next question.
MC: That's been interesting to play with. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Kevin Moriarty, our director, have done a great job crafting a script where that happens dramaturgically for me to play around with from an acting standpoint.
HR: Right. I was going to ask you about the changes from Clark to Superman.
MC: They're very fast.
HR: I haven't seen your wife, Jenny Powers...
MC: Well, you'll see her steal the show tonight...
HR: Is that fun for you guys working together?
MC: Oh, it's a lot of fun for us and I think it's particularly fun because she's not playing Lois... it's more fun that she's playing the chickie who's trying to seduce Clark rather than the one who honestly loves Clark. That's a lot of fun for us to play.
HR: Is this the first time you two have acted together?
MC: It is. A proper show. We've done a couple of concerts together. We've collaborated on things like that but this is the first time we've done a proper show together. We're having a great time. We're both down here together. We're happy we're working together. In a way it's kind of like a family vacation.
MC: I'm sure there will be. You know with any iconic property - such as Superman or West Side, like I did - and Jenny's done Grease which is an iconic film... with any iconic property that people know and love so much I'm sure some will have issues with this or that... it doesn't do me or our team as whole any good to focus too much on that. It isn't the most productive way for us to set out to achieve what we want to do. All we can do is be as faithful and true to the story we're trying to tell as possible... and think we have an incredible team leading the charge. Roberto and Kevin are huge, not just fans, connoisseurs, of the Superman myth and lore and very well versed on all of the comic books and all of the different .... Of Superman. I think we have a great team leading the way there and I put my full trust in them.
HR: One last question and I'll let you go as I know you have a rehearsal. Do you think that if this goes farther than Dallas you'd be interested in going with it?
MC: Oh, of course I would. I think it's just a great, fun musical comedy. Add to the fact that it's the Superman story that's such a great and beloved story that audiences worldwide know and love and for me I get to play the same person in different characters along the journey become less different. They become more and more similar... more and more one... it's a great role for me, I have a great time doing it and I certainly do hope that it has a life beyond Dallas. For one I think it's worthy of that. And we'll see what's really in the cards tonight when we start to have real people in the audience. I certainly think that it is worthy of having a life beyond Dallas.
We're not going to worry too much about those kinds of things at this point. We're just going to go out and have fun tonight.
HR: Good. I look forward to seeing you. And thank you.
MC: Thanks so much, Hal. I'm sure I'll see you tonight.
NOTE: The musical comedy, directed by Kevin Moriarty, opens tonight (June 25) and runs through July 25, with performances on most days except Mondays. Wyly Theatre, 2400 Flora St. Friday's show is pay-what-you-can; tickets go on sale that morning at 10 a.m. and can be purchased in person at the Wyly. All other performances $15 to $86. 214-880-0202. dallastheatercenter.org.
2010 Merchandise & Miscellaneous NewsListed below are all the Merchandise & Miscellaneous News items archived for 2010.
- January 5, 2010: Twitter Bans Superman Password
- January 8, 2010: Superman Truck at Monster Jam
- January 10, 2010: Superman EDF Energy Ad Campaign Promo
- January 11, 2010: Bizarro Roller Coaster Ranked #1 in World
- January 14, 2010: PBS Ready To Learn with Super Grover
- January 14, 2010: Zod Weapon in World of Warcraft
- January 16, 2010: Superman Homepage Wins Best Fansite in Project Fanboy Awards
- January 19, 2010: Mystery Superman Saves Mother in England
- January 20, 2010: Footage of Real Fortress of Solitude Cave Crystals
- January 21, 2010: O'Brien/Hulk vs. Leno/Superman
- January 22, 2010: Hope For Haiti - What Would Superman Do?
- January 22, 2010: Waiting for Superman Documentary
- January 24, 2010: DC Universe Online Inside The Studio Episode 1
- January 25, 2010: Steve Younis' Superman Collection on Shelf Porn
- January 28, 2010: Amazon Launches DC Comics Collection
- February 3, 2010: Last Son Documentary Screening in San Francisco
- February 5, 2010: Super Man Saves Girl
- February 10, 2010: Dwight Howard is Clark Kent for SportsCenter Commercial
- February 11, 2010: DC Universe vs Masters of the Universe Action Figures
- February 11, 2010: Tickets Available for The History of Invulnerability
- February 14, 2010: Fortress of Solitude at 2010 Winter Olympics
- February 15, 2010: New Superman Toys and Action Figures Coming Soon
- February 15, 2010: The History of Invulnerability - An Interview with David Bar Katz
- February 16, 2010: Superman Returns to the Musical Stage
- February 16, 2010: Batman Beating Superman Comic Book Record
- February 24, 2010: Footage From Cancelled PS3 Superman Game?
- February 24, 2010: Bringing Comics into the Classroom
- February 26, 2010: Mattel's Retro-Action DC Super Heroes Action Figures
- February 28, 2010: DC Fires Lawyers in Superman Legal Battle
- March 5, 2010: Warren Ellis Challenge - Design Superman #1 Cover
- March 9, 2010: Rare Supermen of America Member Ring on Auction
- March 13, 2010: Brick Order Deadline for Noel Neill Statue
- March 14, 2010: The Essential Superman Encyclopedia
- March 17, 2010: Smallville Actors to Appear at 2010 Superman Celebration
- March 17, 2010: Final Report From MegaCon 2010 - Orlando, Florida
- March 19, 2010: Project Fanboy Awards Video
- March 19, 2010: From Behind the Shadow of Superman
- March 22, 2010: Superman at Sydney Royal Easter Show
- March 23, 2010: Warner Bros. Announces Supergirl Fashion by Nastia
- March 23, 2010: Warner Bros. Opening Montreal Video Game Studio
- March 23, 2010: Superman Lawsuit in Top Ten 2009 Litigation Wins
- March 26, 2010: Ralph Cosentino's Story of the Man of Steel
- March 26, 2010: Noel Neill Statue Clay Model Complete
- March 26, 2010: Nominate Joe Shuster for Canada's Walk of Fame
- March 27, 2010: Alex Ross Rough Justice Signing
- March 31, 2010: DC Universe Online - Little Bohemia, Metropolis
- April 1, 2010: Superman Homepage April Fool's Day Pranks
- April 6, 2010: WonderCon 2010 Report
- April 8, 2010: DC Superheroes at Taco Bell
- April 8, 2010: An Interview with Sculptor Gary Ernest Smith
- April 12, 2010: The History of Invulnerability - A Review
- April 14, 2010: Superhero Foundation to Help Prevent Child Abuse
- April 15, 2010: Superman Celebrities at Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo
- April 16, 2010: Superman Toon Tumbler from PopFun at C2E2
- April 17, 2010: Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo - Day 1 Report
- April 18, 2010: Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo - Day 2 Report
- April 19, 2010: The Case of the Missing Superman Painting
- April 19, 2010: Polly Pocket - Dressed for Justice
- April 20, 2010: Siegel & Shuster Society Name Shaq Real Superman
- April 21, 2010: More DC Comics 2011 Calendars
- April 22, 2010: Stroy Master Soundproof Windows Superman Ad
- April 23, 2010: Super Museum in Top 10 Illinois Attractions
- April 24, 2010: Carmine Infantino Headed to Metropolis, Illinois
- April 24, 2010: Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan
- April 25, 2010: Jim Carrey is Superman
- April 27, 2010: Superman Golf Head Cover
- April 29, 2010: DC Universe Online - Inside the Studio #4
- April 29, 2010: SupermanBobHoliday.com Updated With Exclusive New Content
- May 3, 2010: Man in Superman Cape Steals Truck
- May 4, 2010: Superman Homepage in Issue 40 of SciFiNow Magazine
- May 4, 2010: Illinois Policy Institute Against Lois Lane Statue
- May 5, 2010: Berlin Looks at Superheroes' Jewish Roots
- May 6, 2010: BBC Audio Drama Superman on Trial Available on CD
- May 9, 2010: Iron Man, Superman, and Batman Hang Out
- May 10, 2010: Dean Cain and Brandon Routh - Basketball Supermen
- May 11, 2010: Iron Man vs the Man of Steel?
- May 13, 2010: Bon Jovi's Superman Tonight on American Idol
- May 13, 2010: Atlanta Hawks - Destroy Superman
- May 14, 2010: DC Comics Files Lawsuit Over Superman Rights
- May 16, 2010: Marc Toberoff Responds to WB Lawsuit
- May 17, 2010: George Sohn Talks Chris Reeve Cinemaquette
- May 19, 2010: Tickets on Sale for Superman Musical Revival
- May 21, 2010: Alternate Earth DC Comics Books on Fringe
- May 27, 2010: WB Consumer Products Partners with Zazzle
- May 27, 2010: Melbourne to Attempt Super Hero World Record
- May 28, 2010: Noel Neill Statue Unveiling Scheduled
- May 29, 2010: Melbourne Smashes Super Hero World Record
- May 29, 2010: DC Universe Online Inside the Studio - Episode 5
- May 29, 2010: The Changing Fashions of Krypton
- June 1, 2010: DC Universe Online Set for November Release
- June 2, 2010: Mezco Toyz Team Up With DC Comics
- June 2, 2010: Characters Banned from Hollywood Blvd
- June 2, 2010: 50s Dance at Superman Celebration
- June 3, 2010: DC Universe Online Controls and Features Interview
- June 3, 2010: Superman Homepage Meet & Greet at Superman Celebration
- June 4, 2010: Become an Honorary Citizen of Metropolis
- June 8, 2010: Dwight Howard Superman-Inspired Adidas Apparel
- June 10, 2010: DC Universe Online - Tour Through Suicide Slums
- June 10, 2010: Superman Photo in South African Art Exhibition
- June 11, 2010: Superman Celebration - Day 2 Early Report
- June 11, 2010: Superman Celebration - Day 1 Report
- June 11, 2010: In Metropolis, Illinois for the 2010 Superman Celebration
- June 11, 2010: Superman Musical Almost Ready to Fly at Dallas Theater Center
- June 11, 2010: Cosplayer Couple of Steel - Danny and Heather Kelley
- June 12, 2010: Superman Celebration - Day 2 Photos
- June 12, 2010: Noel Neill Lois Lane Statue Unveiled
- June 12, 2010: DC Universe Online - E3 2010 Sizzle Trailer
- June 13, 2010: Superman Celebration - Day 3 Photos
- June 14, 2010: DC Universe Online - E3 2010 Full Trailer
- June 15, 2010: Mr. Freiman Goes to Metropolis
- June 16, 2010: Matt Cavenaugh Talks Superman Musical in Dallas
- June 16, 2010: Supanova Comic Expo in Sydney, Australia
- June 16, 2010: Photo Memories from 2010 Superman Celebration
- June 17, 2010: Superman Celebration Smallville Q&A Panel
- June 17, 2010: Villain's Day Off 2 Wins Superman Celebration Fan Film Contest
- June 18, 2010: Superman Celebration - WGBS News Report from June 9
- June 18, 2010: Pre-Order DC Universe Online MMO Video Game
- June 20, 2010: Superman Celebration - WGBS News Report from June 10
- June 21, 2010: Exclusive Interview with Dallas Theater's Kevin Moriarty
- June 21, 2010: New & Improved Superman Superstore
- June 21, 2010: Book Review - Our Hero: Superman on Earth
- June 22, 2010: Superman Celebration - WGBS News Report from June 11
- June 23, 2010: Early Report from Dallas Theater's Superman Musical
- June 23, 2010: Warner Bros. Movie World Celebrates DC Comics 75th Anniversary
- June 23, 2010: So I Like Superman: A One-Nerd Show
- June 25, 2010: Exclusive Interview with Superman Matt Cavenaugh
- June 28, 2010: Hallmark DC Ornament at SDCC 2010
- June 28, 2010: 4th Annual Supergirl Jam
- July 4, 2010: Truth, Justice and the American Way Musical Number
- July 6, 2010: DC and Capstone Collaborate on New Super Pets Books
- July 9, 2010: Siegel and Shuster Panel at SDCC
- July 9, 2010: DC Super-Pets Book Covers
- July 9, 2010: Greg Cox Discusses Final Crisis Novelization
- July 12, 2010: Review of Dallas Theater's Superman Musical
- July 13, 2010: Superman Christopher Dennis Arrested
- July 15, 2010: Starro Spores Exclusive to SDCC
- July 16, 2010: Warner Bros. Limited Edition SDCC Key Cards
- July 17, 2010: Behind The Scenes Video Blog from Superman Musical
- July 17, 2010: SupermanBobHoliday.com Visits Dallas Superman Revisal
- July 20, 2010: DC Super Heroes - The Ultimate Pop-Up Book
- July 20, 2010: DC Universe Online Beta Registration Begins
- July 21, 2010: Details on DC Universe Online Pre-Order and Beta
- July 22, 2010: DCUO - The Voices of the Game
- July 22, 2010: Superman: The Escape at Magic Mountain, Valencia Closed Down
- July 23, 2010: Heroic Ambition Documentary Released
- July 24, 2010: DC Universe Online Five Minute Trailer
- July 24, 2010: Dallas Superman Musical Looking to Tour
- July 25, 2010: SDCC - Mattel DC Action Figure Panel
- July 25, 2010: Action Comics #1 Saves Family's Home
- July 26, 2010: GamingAhead DC Online Interview
- July 27, 2010: JC Penny and Warner Bros. Team Up for Supergirl Clothing Line
- August 2, 2010: DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe Figures Panel
- August 9, 2010: Real World Metropolis Threatened by Their Own Kryptonite
- August 12, 2010: Late Superman Fan Honored in Metropolis
- August 12, 2010: One-Man Show on Superman's Impact Opens Tomorrow in NYC
- August 13, 2030: Superman Exhibit Leaves Port Townsend in Washington State
- August 14, 2010: New ToyFare Issue Spotlights Superboy & Legion 12-Pack
- August 16, 2010: Lawyer Behind Siegel/Shuster Lawsuit Sued
- August 16, 2010: Fan-Made Superman Prototype Suit
- August 16, 2010: Superheroes as Bad Role Models?
- August 19, 2010: WGTD 91.1 Players Adapt Superman and Batman
- August 20, 2010: Talia Thelen Talks Superman: The Unofficial Web Series
- August 23, 2010: Another DCU Online Preview
- August 24, 2010: Starro Spore Giveaway
- August 27, 2010: Christopher Reeve Superman Action Figure Incoming
- August 31, 2010: The Music of DC Comics: 75th Anniversary Collection
- August 31, 2010: Fredric Wertham's Papers Now Available to Public
- August 31, 2010: Costumed Characters Strike Out at LAPD
- September 1, 2010: Heroic Ambition DVD Review
- September 2, 2010: Pendant Productions Does Superman vs. The Atom Man
- September 7, 2010: New Superman World Record Set in UK
- September 7, 2010: New DC Universe Online Fan Podcast
- September 9, 2010: DC Universe Online Video Interviews
- September 11, 2010: Uranium Plant Incident in Metropolis, Illinois
- September 12, 2010: Live Radio Interview with Steve Younis on PSN-Radio.com
- September 13, 2010: More Bricks Available Around Noel Neill Statue
- September 14, 2010: Photos from Dragon Con 2010
- September 15, 2010: Live Radio Interview with Steve Younis on PSN-Radio.com
- September 15, 2010: Justice League Halloween Contest from Hostess Cakes
- September 15, 2010: Superheroes in Court at Yale Show
- September 18, 2010: Comic Book Legends Revealed Looks at the Daily Planet Building's Roots
- September 18, 2010: Will Ferrell to Attempt Costumed Heroes World Record in Los Angeles
- September 23, 2010: Jim Lee Examines DC Universe Online Trailer
- September 27, 2010: Lois Lane Statue Boosting Metropolis Tourism
- September 27, 2010: Animaserra - Brazilian Comic Festival
- September 28, 2010: Update on the Superman Copyright Legal Battle
- September 30, 2010: DC Universe Online Lex Luthor and NYCC Panel
- September 30, 2010: Nominate Siegel and Shuster for Great Ohioan Award
- October 2, 2010: DC Universe Online Metropolis Fly-Through
- October 4, 2010: DC Universe Online Delayed Until 2011
- October 5, 2010: DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book
- October 8, 2010: NYCC Trailer for DC Universe Online
- October 8, 2010: Book Review - DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book
- October 8, 2010: Book Review - Superman On Earth: Reflections of a Fan
- October 10, 2010: A Collection of Reports from New York Comicon
- October 10, 2010: DC Universe Online Videos from NYCC
- October 11, 2010: Win a Framed Comic Cover with Hallmark Cards
- October 12, 2010: Character Create Trailer for DC Universe Online
- October 13, 2010: Superman Comic Thief Captured
- October 13, 2010: Breaking the Superhero World Record with Megamind
- October 14, 2010: DC Universe Online - Inside the Studio Ep. 8
- October 19, 2010: DC Universe Online - Metropolis Chinatown Fly-Through
- October 19, 2010: Superman Lawsuit Delayed by Appeal
- October 21, 2010: DC Universe Online - James Marsters is Lex Luthor
- October 24, 2010: InvestComics Interview with Steve Younis
- October 26, 2010: DC Universe Online Metropolis Police HQ
- November 1, 2010: See The Superman CANstruction in Long Island
- November 2, 2010: Be Super Safe at the Office
- November 3, 2010: DC Universe Online Inside The Studio - Episode 9
- November 4, 2010: DC Universe Online Travelogue - Tomorrow District
- November 4, 2010: Superman Picasso Style
- November 9, 2010: Original Superman #14 Artwork Up For Auction
- November 12, 2010: Acrobatic Movement in DC Universe Online
- November 12, 2010: Superman Logo Drug Dealer Jailed
- November 18, 2010: Superman Lawsuit Moves Forward
- November 18, 2010: Superheroes Return to Hollywood Blvd
- November 19, 2010: Superman Decorates Tree in Cleveland Airport
- November 21, 2010: Christopher Reeve 12 inch Superman Action Figure
- November 23, 2010: Forbes Visits Home of Superman, Metropolis, Illinois
- November 23, 2010: Cadmium, Lead Found in Superhero Glasses
- November 29, 2010: Making Caramelized Apple Superman Pie
- November 30, 2010: Cleveland Maps Superman's Origins
- December 7, 2010: DC Universe Online - Physics Combat
- December 7, 2010: Super Humor - Realistic Superhero Funeral
- December 8, 2010: Japan Celebrates 75 Years of DC Comics
- December 9, 2010: Sony Announces PS3 Beta for DCU Online
- December 10, 2010: Toy News International Previews Christopher Reeve Superman Figure
- December 10, 2010: Super Friends Animated Feature from Fisher-Price
- December 13, 2010: DC Universe Online Inside the Studio Ep. 10
- December 16, 2010: DC Universe Online - Meta Mentors
- December 18, 2010: Inside The SuperMuseum in Metropolis, Illinois
- December 19, 2010: Superman Christmas Tree in Cleveland Airport
- December 21, 2010: DC Universe Online Released January 11, 2011
- December 22, 2010: DC Universe Online Group Combat Alerts: Area 51
- December 22, 2010: Superheroes, Supervillains and The Law
- December 24, 2010: DC Universe Online - Gorilla Island Alert
- December 25, 2010: Warhol's Superman Stolen
- December 28, 2010: Javier Bardem as Superman
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.