March 17, 2007: Superman Homepage Wizard World LA Report: DAY ONE (Jeffrey)
By Jeffrey Bridges
Much smaller than Wizard World Chicago, but no less spunky. Scantily clad women handing out caffeine gum were the least of the of the reasons why this day was a great success. Folks flocked to the SuperfanHomepage table to chat it up with superstars Neal Bailey and Jeffrey Bridges, heroes in their own minds.
Or the day might have been slow and sparsely populated, I'm not sure. I spent most of the day dreaming about all those people flocking to talk to us and give us caffeine gum in more clothes than you'd find on your average street walker. No, that last part is true. Really.
But this is not what you came here to read about, no! And if it is, I think you're at the wrong website! Scantily clad women is every OTHER website on the internet (and any portions of this fine, upstanding site pertaining to Erica Durance). You want Superman news, and so news you shall have!
What little of it there is, anyway.
DC did not have a booth at Wizard World LA, much to my vexation. There was but a hint as to why in the DC Nation panel, which was the only source of Super-news to be found on this most early and sparsely populated day of the con.
After merely joking that DC "forgot" to send their booth to Wizard World LA, Didio confessed that this was DC's third convention in four weeks and they just couldn't do all of them, and he felt it was more important that he, Bob Wayne, Jimmy Palmiotti and Bill Willingham where there in person to talk to the fans. Considering the "wealth" of information Didio gave up I'm not so sure I agree with that, but he was certainly affable and entertaining.
He explained that the upcoming weekly series "Countdown" would take place in real-time and advance the entire DCU forward by the same amount. All the Countdown books that come out in a month, whether they collectively span five minutes or two weeks of time, all take place in the same month and will tie in to the rest of the DC books as the year goes on.
Regarding the massive amounts of delays with DC's books, Didio was very apologetic and seemed all too aware of the problem. One fan told him he was psyched to get some of DC's new upcoming books, but due to the delays his loyalty to the company has gone right out the window. Didio's response seemed genuine, and not as rote as I expected it to be.
We are aware of that; we were nervous about that. And you know, I used to do a joke, 'You keep buying late books and we'll keep making them'. Seriously, there's a lot of seriousness in what I say. Because if you look at it... there's all these books are running late but people still buy them when they come out. So it almost justifies them being late... but, there's a limit. And I think we've pushed everything to the limit.
The great part of what we're trying to accomplish with the DC universe... the idea of trying to synch up and try to move the universe one month at a time, together, is a daunting task. It means the books have got to come out or else the whole thing falls apart. Everybody's aware of that right from the start and it's everything we're doing right now to make sure it happens. Simple as that.
You know what, I can't go back and fix those, but I certainly can look from where we made our mistakes and try not to repeat them, that's the plan. We have to work hard to earn your respect, and to win your trust in our production again. And that's what we're going to be doing.
To me this actually didn't come off as making excuses, but as an apology for mistakes made and a sincere attempt to right the ship in regards to sticking to a release schedule. Here's hoping he didn't just pull a fast one on me, like a scantily-clad woman trying to get me to chew caffeine gum.
One fan referenced Brad Meltzer using Frank Miller's "Dark Knight" as continuity in "Justice League of America" and another book (though I couldn't hear which) referencing "Kingdom Come" as merely one very small example of the mess that DC continuity has become (as we all know it's gotten particularly bad in the Superman line). Again, Didio seemed honest and open about it, and actually admitted it.
Yeah, we're doing that, you're honestly right. Something's going on! There's a plan, there's a plan. A lot of these, there's a lot of references going on. You're going to see the world of the Legion start to leak it's way into the DCU in current time... there's a lot of things happening. And it's moving to... it's moving somewhere. How's that for being as vague and annoying as possible?
Honestly, much to my surprise (like women in nearly no clothes offering me caffeine gum... you don't expect that, I tell you), again it seemed to me that Didio was being honest here. Do I believe going back even as far as "Birthright" that there's been a plan for why all of these apparent continuity discrepancies would be going on?
No. What am I, a guy who chews caffeine gum?
But I think, much like with all the delays with releasing the comics, they've realized it's a big problem and are actually working to fix it. Here's hoping anyway. What's that? Caffeine gum? Don't mind if I do.
Didio then said that they've got plans to bring back "Infinity Inc." with John Henry Irons in the lead. More John Henry? Don't mind if I do!
...Jimmy Olsen Must Die is a particular storyline, one of the biggest through-lines in "Countdown".
Palmiotti chimed in with, "It's huge. There's a reason Jimmy Olsen must die."
Didio: "We can justify killing Jimmy Olsen in this book."
Palmiotti: "It's going to be a really, really big year for Jimmy Olsen."
Jimmy's death being justified? John Henry leading a book?? Continuity messes cleaned up??? Books actually coming out on time???? HOW CAN A PERSON COPE?????
The nearly-naked girls have caffeine gum.
2007 Merchandise & Miscellaneous News
Listed below are all the Merchandise & Miscellaneous News items archived for 2007.
- January 2, 2007: New Superman Returns - Man of Steel Action Figures
- January 12, 2007: Up-Coming Dates to Remember
- January 16, 2007: Children's Treasury of Superman Musical Stories
- January 17, 2007: Theater for the New City Presents Kryptonite Hearts
- January 18, 2007: Fossil Releases Superman Rotor Watch
- January 22, 2007: Superman Musical Card Part of New Hallmark Range
- January 22, 2007: DC Skypecast - Featuring Steve and Neal
- January 25, 2007: Superman Rollercoaster Voted Best in the World
- January 27, 2007: New Mattel DC Super Heroes Action Figures
- January 28, 2007: Appearances, Movies and Theatre Notices
- February 1, 2007: Superman Returns to Radio
- February 1, 2007: Superman Returns Videogame Demo in Xbox Magazine
- February 11, 2007: DC News from Toyfair 2007
- February 13, 2007: Alex Ross Art Exhibition in Melbourne
- February 13, 2007: Seven Wonders of Illinois - Nominate the Superman Statue
- February 15, 2007: HeroClix Announces Legion of Super-Heroes Game
- February 21, 2007: A Closer Look at Mattel's Battleague
- February 21, 2007: Superman Easter Products
- March 2, 2007: Superman and Lois Lane to Reunite After 41 Years
- March 7, 2007: Superman Homepage Does the Wizard World Tour!
- March 7, 2007: Mego 8 inch Super-Heroes: World's Greatest Toys!
- March 14, 2007: Superman Homepage at Wizard World LA!
- March 14, 2007: It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's Patricia Marand and Bob Holiday Together Again!
- March 16, 2007: Superman Superstore Massive Blow-Out Sale!
- March 16, 2007: Superman and Brainiac at Collectormania
- March 17, 2007: Superman Homepage Wizard World LA Report: DAY ONE (Neal)
- March 17, 2007: Superman Homepage Wizard World LA Report: DAY ONE (Jeffrey)
- March 18, 2007: Superman Homepage Wizard World LA Report: DAY TWO (Neal)
- March 18, 2007: Superman Homepage Wizard World LA Report: DAY TWO (Jeffrey)
- March 19, 2007: Superman Homepage Wizard World LA Report: DAY THREE (Jeffrey)
- March 20, 2007: Fossil Superman Rotor Watch Review
- March 23, 2007: Superman Homepage Wizard World LA Report: Closing Report (Neal)
- March 27, 2007: Superman Showbag at Sydney Royal Easter Show
- March 28, 2007: Exclusive First Look! Last Days of Krypton Book Cover
- March 28, 2007: Ferrero Justice League Promotion in Mexico
- March 29, 2007: Grand Opening of American Super Heroes Museum
- April 2, 2007: DC Comics Easter Eggs in Brazil
- April 3, 2007: Superman Homepage at the Emerald City Comic Con 2007
- April 12, 2007: DC HeroClix: Justice League Coming in August
- April 13, 2007: Photos from the American Super Heroes Museum
- April 23, 2007: Justice League Unlimited at Hardee's and Carl's Jr.
- April 24, 2007: Scientists Unearth Superman's 'Kryptonite'
- April 24, 2007: Superman Fan Animation in 2007 Let's Film Festival
- April 25, 2007: Guests Announced for Superman Celebration in Metropolis Illinois
- April 26, 2007: Scientists Discover Planet Orbiting Red Sun
- April 30, 2007: DC Comics Superheroes at McDonalds Argentina
- May 1, 2007: Superman Musical at UCLA's Freud Playhouse
- May 8, 2007: DC Superheroes Arrive at McDonalds Brazil
- May 9, 2007: Serbians Turn Out to See Kryptonite-like Mineral
- May 9, 2007: Metropolis Comic/Collectors Show - June 9-10
- May 11, 2007: Superman Musical on Stage in Illinois
- May 13, 2007: The Gospel According to Comic Books
- May 14, 2007: Technology Matching Comic Book Super Powers
- May 16, 2007: York Theatre Company Presents Superman Musical
- May 24, 2007: Free DC Comics Who's Who Mystery Box for Superman Homepage Readers!!!
- May 24, 2007: Exclusive Danny Fingeroth Interview
- May 26, 2007: Batter Up, Up and Away at the Metropolis Superman Celebration!
- June 7, 2007: Crocs Licensed to Produce Characters Superman & Batman
- June 10, 2007: Superman Homepage at Wizard World Philly!
- June 13, 2007: Review - Superman Musical at Drury Lane Theatre
- June 13, 2007: Metropolis Illinois 2007 Superman Celebration Report
- June 15, 2007: Report - 29th Annual Superman Celebration - 2007 Metropolis Illinois
- June 16, 2007: Wizard World Philadelphia - DAY ONE
- June 19, 2007: Wizard World Philadelphia - DAY TWO & THREE
- June 19, 2007: Review - Superman Musical by York Theatre Company
- June 20, 2007: Wizard World Philadelphia - PHOTOS
- June 22, 2007: Girl Badly Injured on Superman Ride
- June 25, 2007: Superman Homepage in Prism Comics 2007 Edition
- June 28, 2007: Superman Ride Accident Victim Stable
- June 29, 2007: DC Comics Inks Deal with Mattel
- July 1, 2007: Superman Homepage Logo Change
- July 1, 2007: Superman Homepage 2007 Survey Results
- July 1, 2007: Legion of Doom Show at Six Flags
- July 25, 2007: New Adventures of Superman DVD Contest Winners
- August 5, 2007: Legion of Super Heroes at McDonalds
- August 7, 2007: Audio Interview with Kevin J. Anderson
- August 7, 2007: Superman Video Trailers and Themes Available on Xbox 360
- August 8, 2007: It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a baby, 4Real!
- August 9, 2007: Historical Superman Documents For Sale
- August 10, 2007: Superman Homepage at Wizard World Chicago 2007, Day 1 - Friday
- August 15, 2007: Mattel Recalls Millions of Toys
- August 16, 2007: Superboy Court Ruling and Legal Analysis
- August 29, 2007: Robert Sanchez and Steve Younis on Krypton Fan Podcast
- September 6, 2007: HeroClix Justice League Now Available
- September 6, 2007: Superman Rollercoast Wins Best Steel Coaster Award
- September 8, 2007: Warner Bros. to Unveil T-Works Online Experience
- September 14, 2007: Superman Potato Chips in Italy
- September 18, 2007: Animated Short - Superman vs The Lava Monster
- September 21, 2007: Superman-like Figure Spotted Flying Over Romania
- September 23, 2007: Superman/Superboy Court Hearings Set for Early 2008
- September 24, 2007: Superman on Film, Television, Radio & Broadway Book Launch
- September 25, 2007: WB and Salvage Debut Superhero Apparel
- October 9, 2007: Superman vs. Hollywood - New Book Exposes Truth
- October 10, 2007: Superman on Stage in Williamsburg, Virginia
- October 11, 2007: AirHeads Out of Control with Superman
- October 12, 2007: Hallmark Release Two Superman Christmas Tree Ornaments
- October 19, 2007: Superman Homepage Launches Speeding Bulletin News Videos
- October 20, 2007: Get Your Fathead Superman Today!
- October 22, 2007: Bruce Scivally Talks Superman on KGO Radio
- October 25, 2007: Superman Jewish Museum Exhibition
- October 30, 2007: Two New Superman Returns Figures From Hot Toys
- November 30, 2007: Superman Ride at Kentucky Kingdom to be Torn Down
- December 3, 2007: 2007 SHIELD Awards Results
- December 12, 2007: Heroes Alliance - Help Kids for the Holidays!
- December 13, 2007: Fossil Releases Two New Superman Watches
- December 20, 2007: Will Cleveland Finally Recognize Superman?
- December 21, 2007: WizKids Superman & Batman Duo Figure
Back to the News Archive Contents
Back to the Latest News page.