2002 Movie News Archives
June 26, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman DVDs - Update!If you haven't bought your copy of the special edition of "Superman: The Movie" on DVD, then you better make it quick... just in case! Here's an expanded report on the story published by Hollywood Reporter as noted in yesterday's news update...
Warner Bros. sued over 'Superman' DVDs
By GARY GENTILE, AP Business Writer
LOS ANGELES - Superman may be invulnerable, but the studio that last year released an enhanced DVD of the 1978 movie about the superhero is having its own problems.
A British firm that claims it owns the copyrights to the three "Superman" movies and a documentary on the making of the first film sued Warner Bros. this week in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.
Pueblo Film Licensing Ltd. claims the studio violated its copyright by using protected material in the DVD and a theatrical version of the first movie released last year.
A Warner Bros. spokesman said the company has not yet seen the lawsuit and does not comment on pending litigation.
The lawsuit claims Pueblo acquired the copyrights from producer Alexander Salkind, whose agreement with Warner Bros. included a promise by the studio not to cut or re-edit his films in any way.
A further agreement barred Warner Bros. from rereleasing the "Superman III" film in any new medium, such as DVD, without consent, the suit said.
In 2001, Warner released DVD versions of all three films, including a longer version of the first film that included unused footage. The movie was released with the title, "Superman: The Movie, Expanded Edition."
The DVD also includes screen tests, extra scenes and other material Pueblo claims was used without permission.
Pueblo is asking that Warner Bros. recall all copies of the DVD and disgorge profits made from its sale.
If you haven't bought "Superman: The Movie" on DVD and you wish to do so, then visit Amazon.com to purchase your copy today.
2002 Movie NewsListed below are all the Movie News items archived for 2002 organized into 4 categories:
Superman and Batman vs Superman Movie News:
Christopher Reeve Movie News:
- January 30, 2002: Sarah Douglas at a Convention Near You!
- February 12, 2002: Reeve and Kidder to Present Award to Richard Donner
- February 19, 2002: Superman: The Movie on Encore
- March 5, 2002: Region 2 Special Edition Superman DVD Released!
- March 6, 2002: Special Edition Superman on Sci-Fi Channel
- March 14, 2002: Wish Jack O'Halloran a Happy Birthday!
- May 8, 2002: The Never-Made Superman Movie
- June 25, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman: The Movie DVD
- June 26, 2002: Warner Bros. Sued Over Superman DVDs - Update!
- July 4, 2002: Superman: The Movie on the Big Screen in Ohio
- July 24, 2002: Superman Movie Items Up For Auction
- August 7, 2002: Superman Movie Items Sold at Auction
- August 28, 2002: Kidder in Crash
- September 10, 2002: Christopher Reeve Recovering!
- September 14, 2002: Wish Christopher Reeve a Happy Birthday!
- September 22, 2002: Christopher Reeve on Larry King Live
- October 3, 2002: Superman Movie Memorabilia on Auction
- October 5, 2002: Superman II on TV in Australia
- June 16, 2002: Miramax Commits to George Reeves Movie
- August 26, 2002: Kyle MacLachlan as George Reeves?
- September 22, 2002: Script Review of George Reeves Movie
Back to the News Archive Contents page.
Back to the Latest News page.