EDITOR IN CHIEF

Steve Younis
Email | About

Facebook Twitter Google+ YouTube
App Store Android App Blackberry App RSS

†
†
†

FEATURED PRODUCTS

Superman Sixth Scale Figure
Superman Sixth Scale Figure

Inspired by over 75 years of comic book legacy, Superman takes flight wearing his iconic costume, exquisitely tailored with unmistakable S-shield emblazoned across the chest, and a poseable fabric cape.
US$199.99

Superman Homepage Ringer T-Shirt
Superman Homepage RingerT-Shirt

Now you can show the world that you are a fan of the No. 1 Superman site in the world! For only $17.99 you can wear this shirt with pride and help get the word out about our super community here. (More colors and designs available)
US$17.99

CALENDAR

Noteworthy Superman dates to remember...
July 1: Marlon Brando, Jor-El in Superman: The Movie, dies of lung failure aged 80 in 2004.
July 4: Eva Marie Saint, Martha Kent in Superman Returns, born in Newark, New Jersey in 1924.
July 6: Writer and Artist John Byrne (Man of Steel, Superman, Action Comics) born in 1950.
July 10: Superman artist and co-creator Joe Shuster born in 1914.
July 11: Michael Rosenbaum, Lex Luthor in Smallville, born in Oceanside, N.Y in 1972.
July 17: Traditionally recognized as the birthday of Lana Lang, Clark Kent's boyhood friend.
July 22: Terence Stamp, General Zod in Superman and Superman II, born in 1938.
July 25: Traditionally recognized as the birthday of Lucy Lane, Lois Lane's sister.
July 26: Kevin Spacey, Lex Luthor in Superman Returns, born in South Orange, New Jersey in 1959.
July 26: Ilya Salkind, Superman movie producer, born in Mexico City, Mexico in 1947.
July 27: Jackson Beck, voice of Superman Radio Introduction, dies in 2004, aged 92.
July 29: Allison Mack, Chloe Sullivan in Smallville, born in Preez, Germany in 1982.
July 29: Writer Gail Simone (Action Comics) celebrates her birthday today.
July 30: Laurence Fishburne, Perry White in the 2013 Man of Steel movie, born in Augusta, Georgia in 1961.
July 31: Dean Cain, star of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, born in Mt. Clemens, Michigan in 1966.

Users Online

> Guests Online: 27

> Members Online: 0

> Total Members: 6,072
> Newest Member: Jphu8414

SEARCH

Custom Search

Advanced Search

NEWSLETTER

Enter your Email Address (double check you have typed it in correctly)
and click on Subscribe/Unsubscribe.



Subscribed: 4341

Member Poll

What did you think of the ďBatman v SupermanĒ teaser shown at Comic-Con?

Loved it!
Loved it!
59% [22 Votes]

Liked it
Liked it
8% [3 Votes]

Average
Average
5% [2 Votes]

Didnít like it
Didnít like it
0% [0 Votes]

Hated it!
Hated it!
3% [1 Vote]

I havenít seen it yet
I havenít seen it yet
14% [5 Votes]

Iím waiting for an official release of it
Iím waiting for an official release of it
11% [4 Votes]

Votes: 37
You must login to vote.
Started: July 29, 2014

Polls Archive
[Polls Archive #2]

OUR SHOWS

TRANSLATE

Sponsored Ads


Blueprint Property

July 7, 2014: Brandon Routh Back in the Superhero Business... as The Atom!Print

Routh is the Atom Brandon Routh, who played Clark Kent/Superman in the 2006 movie "Superman Returns", is back in the superhero business, having been cast to play The Atom in the third season of the TV series "Arrow".

    The erstwhile Man of Steel is joining†the CW hit's third season in the recurring role of Ray Palmer, aka DC superhero†The Atom, TVLine has learned exclusively.

    An unparalleled scientist and inventor, Ray will play an unexpected role in the lives of Oliver and (rumored love interest) Felicity as the new owner of Queen Consolidated. Palmer's plans for Queen Consolidated's Applied Sciences Division will be shrouded in mystery.

Source: TVline.com


Comments

4059
#1 | Sven-El on July 7, 2014 7:38pm EST
You know, I think Routh would actually be the PERFECT Ray Palmer.
24193
#2 | Kel Varnson on July 7, 2014 7:42pm EST
I thought he would make a good Dick Grayson - Nightwing, but glad to see him in this role.Grin
24398
#3 | Clark El on July 7, 2014 8:04pm EST
Brandon Routh will be great in this role. I am glad to see D.C and Warner Brothers realize he should have been playing the part of a major SUPER hero all along.
31825
#4 | strange visitor on July 7, 2014 8:54pm EST
Great news! Looking forward to it!
34451
#5 | TheWraith on July 7, 2014 9:19pm EST
This is great news. From what I understand, WB have been looking for some way to bring Routh back into the hero fold after not renewing his contract to continue as Superman. The studio thinks very highly of Routh. Will the Atom, then, appear in the upcoming JL film? Anything is possible.
4059
#6 | Sven-El on July 7, 2014 9:43pm EST
Even though he's getting a 14 episode stint ( which is most of a season) I wonder if they'll use it as a spring board for a TV series based on The Atom. Or at least have him show up in The Flash.
31613
#7 | Hollywood on July 7, 2014 10:03pm EST
Good for him. I'm sure he's been busy with other things (I haven't followed his career), but it's nice to see him getting a second shot at the superhero scene.
37517
#8 | Meno on July 7, 2014 10:19pm EST
Good for Brandon. He wasn't my favorite Superman, but I thought he got a rough deal after SR.

It'd just be a bit strange to see such a HUGE Ray Palmer. Brandon is one large dude.
39612
#9 | rob1157 on July 7, 2014 11:33pm EST
Happy to see Brandon back in the fold.
33044
#10 | borikua on July 7, 2014 11:34pm EST
I never blamed Routh for Superman Returns. He hired to play Christopher Reeve playing Superman playing Clark Kent. And he did a fantastic job. Just wish he was able to add his own spin on the character.
32823
#11 | robojac on July 8, 2014 12:05am EST
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it's good to see Brandon Routh getting more work but on the other it's kind of a step down from playing Superman. I wish he'd play Superman or Clark Kent on Arrow instead. Hopefully one day he'll voice Superman in a DC animated movie.

This is obviously WB shooting the bird at next year's Marvel's Ant-Man. It's kind of funny because when Routh's Superman contract expired, I wanted Marvel Studios to grab him for a superhero role to flip off WB.

Now I have a reason to watch Arrow but I just hope his Atom will be very different from his Supes. It's hard to look at him without thinking of Superman.
34451
#12 | TheWraith on July 8, 2014 12:31am EST
An Atom spinoff show could well be the end result of his appearances on Arrow. The same happened with the Flash, after all.
33585
#13 | seelsa73 on July 8, 2014 3:15am EST
I wish he'd play Superman or Clark Kent on Arrow instead.


I was just about to say exactly that, except not on Arrow, on his own show. BR was an excellent Superman, even if the character was a blatant copy (albeit intentionally) of Chris Reeve's Superman. I miss Superman on TV. There hasn't been a live action show since Lois and Clark went off the air in '97, of which i was a die hard fan. (I'm not counting Smallville since that was a show about Clark Kent, not Superman). In any case, I'm glad to see BR getting work, makes me happy Grin
33044
#14 | borikua on July 8, 2014 7:08am EST
(I'm not counting Smallville since that was a show about Clark Kent, not Superman).
No offense meant, but I never understood this line of thinking. That would mean that Gotham isn't a batman show but a show about a cop and a bunch of kids. Or that Arrows season 1 isnt about Green Arrow, but about the murderous "vigilante". It also means that Caprica is not a Battlestar Galactica series since the said ship doesn't appear. Im just wondering about the line of thinking. Or was the comment meant as a slight against Smalllville?
176
#15 | Scotty V on July 8, 2014 11:22am EST
"Smallville" was a show about the beginning of Clark Kent becoming a hero and gaining his powers. Some people loved it, some hated it and I'm sure there were many, like me, who loved some of it, hated some of it and thought some of it was simply filler.

"Gotham" isn't a show about Batman. It's a show that takes place in the Batman world and it's about Batman supporting characters. But it's not a superhero show and Bruce Wayne is a child in it. We can't know for certain till we watch, and I'll be trying it, but it could very likely be a procedural cop show where Gordon and friends take down different criminals each week. My guess is there will occasionally be a guest spot by Bruce or one of the known baddies they keep showing on the ads, but that it will mostly be the cops doing cop things. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's certainly not a Batman show. It's a before Batman show. Bruce is shown much younger on the "Gotham" ads than Clark was on "Smallville" and "Smallville" was much more about showing Clark gaining his powers and learning about himself.

I suppose they could do that with "Gotham" and have Bruce decide to fight crime when he's ten, but that would really change the story. Bruce didn't train and become Bats until his mid to late 20's. "Smallville" changed many things about Clark and his journey, so it's certainly possible.

Anyway, since this is a news item about Routh being cast as The Atom, I think it's pretty cool. A step back as an actor who's already played Superman, but then, there may be no other step one can take after that. But, as an actor looking for work, it's a job in a business where it's very difficult to find jobs so it's something good in that way.
33044
#16 | borikua on July 8, 2014 12:08pm EST
@Scotty V. I see what you mean but I respectfully disagree. Part of the allure of Smallville and Gotham is that they it is A Superman story. It is A Batman story. I always believe that Superman was more than a costume. That he was inspiration embodied. That as long as the person stood for truth, Justice and the American way and used his alien powers to fight evil, he WAS Superman. So in that regard I always thought Smallville as a Superman show. And if Gotham shows a small boy turning into the pinnacle of human achievement by overcoming a great tragedy and facing his fears, traits I relate to Batman, than it also deserves to be called a Batman show.
5277
#17 | lemarjones on July 8, 2014 12:12pm EST
Borikua, I have to agree with seelsa73. Smallville was always about Clark Kent. It was never about Superman. More so the Blur than it ever was about Superman.

I'd tend to agree with your line of thinking, if and only if, we had seen Clark as Superman through out a significant part of the series.
37517
#18 | Meno on July 8, 2014 2:39pm EST
Smallville seemed to me like a show that started out as something like Superman's origin story, but when they realized they wanted to extend this show for years and years while keeping its theme of Superman-before-Superman, it just morphed into something different. I have to agree with those who don't really call it a Superman show, almost more of a live-action Elseworlds tale. It got to the point where I felt like the show intentionally grasped for familiar Superman elements but intentionally refused to use them in ways we're accustomed to.
34808
#19 | Marc Pritchard on July 8, 2014 2:43pm EST
We're really in semantics territory here at this point, no? You don't have a Clark Kent story that means anything in the literal absence of Superman -- by which I don't mean the superficiality of "no flights or tights" but no narrative connection whatsoever. It's just not possible; they are one and the same in different clothes and maybe an affectation or two. With Smallville, had there been no promise of "Superman's" eventual emergence, that show was dead on arrival -- or Heroes.
39595
#20 | Zee on July 8, 2014 4:05pm EST
I find this VERY sad - and not because I don't like Brandon Routh - ON THE CONTRARY! I wish he played SUPERMAN! Then, get Cavill to play Brainiac. He would be perfect for Brainiac. DC - you really haven't been fair to Brandon Routh!
18232
#21 | Hypoxic on July 8, 2014 5:55pm EST
Zee wrote: DC - you really haven't been fair to Brandon Routh!


Why does DC have to be fair to Routh?
13703
#22 | SuperS on July 8, 2014 5:56pm EST
I'm happy for Brandon Routh. He will do a fine job and Arrow's ratings will go up; while The Flash will add to the CW success. Something to look forward to for the Fall season.
Cool
34451
#23 | TheWraith on July 8, 2014 7:24pm EST
Gotham is NOT a Batman show. Even the producers/writers/director of the Gotham show have confirmed this. It's a cop show in which Bruce, as a very young child, will make cameo appearances here and there. But it's a cop show, set in the same town that will eventually host Batman in many years time.
33044
#24 | borikua on July 8, 2014 7:36pm EST
What universe is the Gotham tv series set in again? Look, I get it. I really do. But fact of the matter is the show is set in the BATMAN universe. Its A Batman show. Just not a show ABOUT Batman. Were arguing semantics as Marc said. Call it as you want too, but both arguments are valid. Yes, the fact that it does not feature a man in a Bat suit doesnt make it a Batman series. But the fact that its set in Batmans universe also makes it a Batman series. The creators stated that so that its made clear that Batman will not appear in the series.
12217
#25 | djvj_y2k on July 8, 2014 7:54pm EST
Bring him back as Bizarro to face Henry Cavill. Just a wild thought.
34451
#26 | TheWraith on July 8, 2014 9:54pm EST
If the makers of the show say it ISN'T a Batman show, then it isn't. It's a cop show, it's about the cops on the Gotham police force. That's it. A show set in that universe doesn't make it a Batman show, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself of that. Period! End of story!!
25957
#27 | redcape on July 9, 2014 12:53am EST
How could BR as the Atom morph into Batman?
I'll still take him as Superman..........Anytime!
38098
#28 | Mia26 on July 9, 2014 1:07am EST
"Or that Arrows season 1 isnt about Green Arrow"

Yeah actually Arrow isn't about Green Arrow it's about Bat-Arrow that guy isn't Green Arrow, I mean they changed soo much and am not just talking abotu things like Mia, Black Canary, his villians, his parents death etc ... they changed his personality and his supporting cast as well.
8315
#29 | Steve Wright on July 9, 2014 1:12am EST
I find this VERY sad - and not because I don't like Brandon Routh - ON THE CONTRARY! I wish he played SUPERMAN! Then, get Cavill to play Brainiac. He would be perfect for Brainiac. DC - you really haven't been fair to Brandon Routh!


How have they not been fair? He has a career because of Warner Brothers. He is a working actor who has had steady, if not the size of SR, work. Remember his career was dead. He owes EVERYTHING to Bryan Singer and Warner Brothers. He's didn't become a "convention circuit only" actor.

And Borikua it's not a Batman show mate. It's in the same universe but not about him. Think of it this way...if it was called metropolis and Superman was Only 10 years old and hardly the focus and rarely seen you wouldn't call it a Superman show. The fact that they have even stated it and won't focus on Bruce Wayne speaks volumes. Now it could morph that way if they time jump and then show him in his early 20s and training while they still primarily focus on Jim Gordon...kind of be the way the island story is on Arrow.
33044
#30 | borikua on July 9, 2014 6:45am EST
A show set in that universe doesn't make it a Batman show, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself of that. Period! End of story!!


No need to get agitated. Its not like Im posting complete and utter nonsense like Man of Steel wwas a critical failure. I think my points are somewhat valid.

@Steve:

But isnt the allure of both Smallville and Gotham is because its CONNECTED to these characters? Can you honestly say Smallville would have been so popular WITHOUT the Superman elements? And they ARE Superman elements. Clark fought Zod, Brainiac, Doomsday, Etc. If it wasnt for those elements like Lex, The Fortress, Kryptonians and etc It would have been another Heroes knockoff. And I dont recall Heroes lasting 10 seasons. Gotham would just be another Law and Order knock off. And we know how well those do. The reason people WANT to see those shows is BECAUSE of the Batman and Superman connection. Thats all Im saying. Can anyone HONESTLY say they would see Gotham if it WASNT because of its connection to Batman?
5277
#31 | lemarjones on July 9, 2014 10:04am EST
Can anyone HONESTLY say they would see Gotham if it WASNT because of its connection to Batman?


The silence speaks volumes. Pfft Point well made.
33585
#32 | seelsa73 on July 9, 2014 11:27am EST
Gotham would just be another Law and Order knock off. And we know how well those do.

Very well. The original L&O was on for 20 years and my favorite show on NBC, SVU, is #4 on it's network and has quite high ratings for a show that's been on as long as it has.

Can anyone HONESTLY say they would see Gotham if it WASNT because of its connection to Batman?

I, for one, happen to like police procedural shows, so yes I can honestly say I'd at least check it out if it wasn't connected to Batman and the trailer made it look good.
34808
#33 | Marc Pritchard on July 9, 2014 11:27am EST
Period! End of story!!

Why are you getting worked up over this? You and borikua are clearly coming at this from two different perspectives, one literal and immediate (you: "not Batman because a caped and cowled Batman won't actually appear in it" ), the other associative and holistic (borikua: "Batman because without Batman and his mythos, 'Gotham' is no particular draw" ).

Is this really something that requires multiple and frustratedly emphatic exclamation points?
33044
#34 | borikua on July 9, 2014 1:24pm EST

I, for one, happen to like police procedural shows, so yes I can honestly say I'd at least check it out if it wasn't connected to Batman and the trailer made it look good.
I also enjoy police procedural shows, so I too would have at least checked it out. But I have to be honest and say I wouldnt be as excited as I am now for the show knowing its a young Jim Gordon as the lead.
29732
#35 | Xaq on July 9, 2014 2:54pm EST
I'm with Borikua on this one. A Superman show doesn't have to have him called Superman and wear the traditional costume. It's about the same character, isn't it? And he is literally a super man during Smallville, isn't he?

But that's even irrelevant. I think Borikua's associative point is important. "Batman" isn't just a character -- it's a story. One big story encompassing many characters. So a show looking at the past of that story is a Batman show, because it is very much a part of that story, even though it doesn't focus on the main character.

You could even omit Batman, or Superman as the case may be, entirely, and it would STILL be a Batman or Superman show, because it's exploring that character's story and mythos.

Saying that that's not the case is like saying that the first issue of the 1980s "Man of Steel" comic isn't a Superman comic, as most of the issue focuses on Krypton, then Smallville, and finally he becomes Superman in the final panel. It's like saying the first 1/3 of Superman: The Movie isn't a Superman movie because he hasn't become Superman yet.

Superman is a story, not just a character. When Superman died, his comic books continued, with his supporting characters trying to continue his legacy. Those books explored what Superman's all about, why he's important, how all his supporting cast feel about him, etc. without actually featuring Superman in a protagonist role. And no one ever questioned whether they were really Superman comics.

That's because what happens to Superman's world after he dies is part of his story. And what happened in his world before he became Superman is also part of his story. That's why these events are depicted in Superman comics, movies, and why entire shows are devoted to them.

Also, I think the point about whether the association is the reason for the show's success misses the point. It doesn't matter whether "Smallville" would have been successful with the Superman elements removed; the way it was produced, it has those elements and so it is a Superman show. Same with Gotham. I don't know what kind of a show it'll be; it's entirely possible one could remove the Batman elements and still have a successful show. But that's irrelevant, because until those elements ARE removed, it's a Batman show.
39595
#36 | Zee on July 9, 2014 5:45pm EST
To all who asked: WB has not been fair to BR because -
1-They claimed that SR cost such or such monies but, they piled all the previous aborted projects on it's back and made it's bill much bigger.
2-SR actually made more money than the first Nolanman movie.
3-The SR sequel which was green-lit was on hiatus because Mr Singer went to direct another movie (Valkyrie or was negotiating for a Logan's Run remake).
4-BR was a wonderful spokesperson for WB - he always talked about them in good - he was never bitter. He was very happy to play Superman and didn't turn the thing into a parody.

There are more but this is all I can't think of right now.
18232
#37 | Hypoxic on July 9, 2014 10:31pm EST
^Honestly, none of your points help to understand your argument.
8315
#38 | Steve Wright on July 9, 2014 10:54pm EST
Zee..none of what you just posted has anything to do with WB not being fair to Brandon.
39595
#39 | Zee on July 10, 2014 4:22pm EST
Yes. You're right. Nothing I mentioned has to do with DC. I meant Marvel Comics. Sorry for the confusion...
34808
#40 | Marc Pritchard on July 10, 2014 8:30pm EST
^ ZING!

Frown

But really, Zee, only one of your bullets is about Routh and then only about his off-screen attitude. You don't explain anything about fairness and how that applies here.

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.