Print Thread
Doubt about the Superbooks
Heat Vision
Hello, people.

I'm interested in reading Superman again after a long break (stopped around mid 90's), so I'd really appreciate your input: are the books any good after the reboot? What do you recommend?

Thank you very much in advance!Wink

Hypoxic
There's a lot of debate about the quality of the books. I firmly believe that much of the disdain stems from an aesthetic distaste for the new costume. Others don't like that Supes is gruffer than previously, more like he was in the Golden Age.

I highly recommend Action Comics. It's written by Grant Morrison so you'd have to dig his stylized approach to writing. Unfortunately, the Superman title isn't that good. Superboy is awful. I haven't read any Supergirl. Teen Titans is terrible. Superman Beyond, not part of the New 52, is excellent. Smallville, expanding upon the show, is derivative and and uninspired.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Zaniah

>Heat Vision wrote:

I'm interested in reading Superman again after a long break (stopped around mid 90's)

Short Version:

You must buy Action Comics and be prepared for a bit of a mind twister, but I bet you will like it. The short backup stories have been phenomenal as well - maybe better than 90% of the rest of the new 52 by themselves.
Superman - Sure....it might pay off in the long run
Supergirl - Very good, get it if your a fan of stories about Kryptonians
Superboy - Wait...I'll get back to you but for now I'd skip it

Long Version:

Hey Heat Vision! Like you are thinking about, I got back into Superman last March after not reading any comics since 94. I just indexed my stash (stashmycomics.com http://goo.gl/011Fg) and in the last year and 1/4th I've collected probably 250ish books plus 70-80ish digital reads. I can say that I'm glad to be back reading the superman titles as well as a few other really good stories that I've come across.

Action Comics is the crown jewel of the new 52 for me, and paired with "The New 52 Adventures of Superman" podcast (http://goo.gl/9dX3X) this particular story brings me a lot of geek joy haha. I'm also reading Superman, and as a whole story the first Arc was interesting and in the future we may be able to look back and see how Action comics ties in with it. In case you don't know, Action's first arc takes place about 5 years before the events of superman #1 and Grant Morrison is doing some very trippy stuff with timelines but I can see that it is starting to come together. ---------------Take your time when reading Action, and pay attention to each frame noting the details in the art and things that are said. Everything that is said even though it may seem random or flippant has a meaning and pays off at some time.

I've read Superboy 1-5 and wasn't thrilled about it, and I really really tried to like it. It's funny, cuz I'm following along with a podcast covering Superman from 1986 - 2006 and currently the last book they have covered is Adventures of Superman #501 (1993) which introduces Superboy. (The podcast is "From Crisis to Crisis: A Superman Podcast" http://goo.gl/Z7zjZ)After reading that again I was reminded about how much I could like Superboy, and how he could be well written - and also how dissapointed I was in the current storyline. I do plan on returning to it, and I've heard one fan I trust (Jon Wilson from New52Superman) say that it is beginning to come around but I'm skeptical.

A surprise for me was the Supergirl title! I've never been interested in or read Supergirl in my life, but Jon Wilson highly recommended that story and starting two weeks ago I bought 1-6 digitally and I have to agree it is very good.

Outside of the superbooks, I'm digging Batman and his new villain(s) they added for his first Arc. Hypoxic raves about the Flash and I recently bought #1 with the intention of getting the rest of the story soon.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

Outside of the superbooks, I'm digging Batman and his new villain(s) they added for his first Arc. Hypoxic raves about the Flash and I recently bought #1 with the intention of getting the rest of the story soon.

Oooo, if we're going to recommend some non-Superbooks, I'm in!

Yes, I love the Flash! It trips now and again, a sign of how green the young creative team is, but it's overall excellent. It's my favourite looking book in the New 52.

My favourite title in the New 52 is Animal Man. Jeff Lemire is DC's hotshot writer right now.

Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing is great, as well, but it does require some previous knowledge of the character to get some of what goes on in the first couple issues.

Also, Snyder's Batman was great for the first five or six issues but I'm bored to death with it now. It's still telling the same arc which has spilled over into the other Batbooks (minus Batwoman).

Dial H is only two issues in, but it's recommended.

Justice League Dark had a brilliant first issue and then turned to crap pretty fast. Lemire just took over from last month and his first issue on the title is great. So, after dropping it, I've picked JLD back up.

I really enjoyed Earth 2 #1, and the second issue isn't without its charm either. I just hope it doesn't follow Johns's template for Justice League: introduce one character per issue and have the threat in the background.

Speaking of Justice League, I read the first arc, mostly because it was Darkseid's introduction in the New 52, but I dropped it after that (and had planned to do so by the end of issue #2).
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Heat Vision
Thank you so much, guys. I have already added AC to my pull lsit, and ordered the back issues! Can't wait to come back to Supes; it'll be exciting!

Jump to Forum: