Print Thread
How serious must it be?
Roger
It goes without saying that we need a well told story, but I think there should be some SERIOUS action.
That's how serious it should be.

We've got an actor that looks like he can kick some serious butt. I think he should kick some serious butt.
- Roger "THE Doctor"
"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
- Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks)
www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com - horror host videos.

IFightForTomorrow

>Hypoxic wrote:

There's a thread floating around somewhere asking members to describe their ideal Clark Kent/Superman. In my response I mentioned that my Clark would be just as heroic as Superman, doing good in his community, volunteering in soup kitchens, saving abused animals, reading to orphans, etc.

I like my Clark to act differently from Superman, but he is still at his base a regular everyday hero. What's more, he's a regular everyday guy. He likes to toss back a couple cold ones now again. I would love to sit down with a bunch of you goons and drown a few pints. That'd be good times.

Oh, and my Clark would be an atheist. There's no way Clark could know as much as he does about the universe and still believe in the stories of a few musty Earth books.

THIS. Just...just all of this. I don't think we'll see a storyteller in any medium brave enough to pull the trigger on the atheist issue, but I so wish someone would.

Hypoxic

>IFightForTomorrow wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

There's a thread floating around somewhere asking members to describe their ideal Clark Kent/Superman. In my response I mentioned that my Clark would be just as heroic as Superman, doing good in his community, volunteering in soup kitchens, saving abused animals, reading to orphans, etc.

I like my Clark to act differently from Superman, but he is still at his base a regular everyday hero. What's more, he's a regular everyday guy. He likes to toss back a couple cold ones now again. I would love to sit down with a bunch of you goons and drown a few pints. That'd be good times.

Oh, and my Clark would be an atheist. There's no way Clark could know as much as he does about the universe and still believe in the stories of a few musty Earth books.

THIS. Just...just all of this. I don't think we'll see a storyteller in any medium brave enough to pull the trigger on the atheist issue, but I so wish someone would.

I've determined that the Abrahamic ideologies simply cannot exist in the DC Universe anyway. The Greek/Roman gods all exist, so the "one, true God" obviously doesn't, on the New 52 Earth anyway.

In any regard, you're right. It'll be some time before any degree of non-belief becomes part of a story.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

IFightForTomorrow
I dunno. They co-existed to some degree in the pre-flashpoint days. I mean the Spectre and Wonder Woman co-existed just fine. They do seem to be shying away from such things these days though. Touchy subject for all I imagine.

Hypoxic
Yeah, that's true. I'd be happy if they keep religion and the sort out of the stories for the most part. Sometimes they're done well, like Superman: Redemption. Just the same, the best kind of supernatural stories with spirits and demons and magic and such are like the ones being told in Animal Man and Justice League Dark.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

A6K
Eh, I think it would be in the best interest of all parties to just avoid the topic.

You say he's an atheist and Christians get upset, you say he's a Muslim and Christians get upset, you say he's a Christian and Christians get upset over what type of Christian he is (Catholic, Baptist ect). Iím kidding obviouslyÖÖor am I?

Why make Superman some kind of basis for some theological argument. As Iíve seen on these forums and just out in the world people get pissy about their religion. There is very little agreeing to disagree about it. Everyone thinks they are right and will peruse the argument relentlessly. So Iíve just decided to avoid the topic.

ESPECIALLY where I am now doing what Iím doing, where religion has been twisted into some basis for murder, war and hate. Iíve found when you stay silent on a topic people will make their own conclusion that they agree with and will generally accept you better. If youíre a good person to people, then people will just assume youíre a good person with good values. "Is he religious?" "He must be, why else would he be such a caring nice person?"

So thatís how I feel writers should approach Superman, just avoid it. Look at the For Tomorrow story line, Superman went to a Priest, but never admitted to be religious. He just knew he could confide in a Priest in confidentiality. Iíve gone to the Chaplin on a few occasions. Iím not religious at all but I know I can talk to him in confidentiality. At least thatís my take on it. Iím sure there is someone Catholic who thinks Superman was Catholic in that story line.

In Death and Return Pa Kent finds Superman in purgatory or something and kept some demons from taking him to hellÖÖ.I think thatís what was going on anyways. OR you could just say Pa Kent was hallucinating from lack of oxygen to the brain.

But itís a world of fantasy and science fiction. I have to agree with Hypoxic, there is no room for any God where all the Greek Gods, Darkseid, Krypton, everything that happened when the universe changed into the New 52 and so forth.

MorganEdge

>A6K wrote:

You say he's an atheist and Christians get upset, you say he's a Muslim and Christians get upset, you say he's a Christian and Christians get upset over what type of Christian he is (Catholic, Baptist ect). Iím kidding obviouslyÖÖor am I?

I seem to remember that on a few occassions it was shown (in the comics) that the Kents are Methodists and raised Clark as one and no one really had/has a problem with the fact....

Edited by MorganEdge on 06/08/2012 13:48

Jump to Forum: