Print Thread
How serious must it be?
MorganEdge
There's talk that MOS must be treated more seriously than previous efforts... well, as far as craft goes I generally agree, but when it comes to mood, how seriously must MOS be? More than the Donner/Lester series? Must it be as serious as Nolan's take on Batman? That down to earth? No comedy at all?

My problem is that I fear they get so serious that they take away from the upbeat atmosphere and light that I generally percieve in the Superman mythos.

copacetic
I agree, a Superman movie should be a bit more lighthearted. I doubt they'll go the gloom and doom route with him entirely (cause if they do, they miss the point of the character) but maybe they'll take the effort a lot more seriously as to say, make Superman just as viable a superhero movie franchise as Batman or the Avengers.

Hypoxic
There's comedy in Nolan's Batman films.

"Nice coat."

Anyway, I think there'll be some light, accessible chuckles in the film, or at least I hope there is.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

But it's not his movie, per his interview.

Even if it were that's the one thing I can think of.

I don't recall a lot of comedic moments in Snyder's films either. In 300 the Spartans' cocky attitudes was comical at times. Watchmen? I don't recall any worth mentioning.

However, in the interest of fairness it isn't the same script or themes. Personally I think it will follow suit with Dark Knight and her serious as a hart attack during a presidential address, because that's what works for Warner, in the past anyways.

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

I know, I was responding directly to this in the first post:

"Must it be as serious as Nolan's take on Batman? That down to earth? No comedy at all?"

Sorry, I should have quoted that initially.

Regarding Snyder, most of his movies are based on some source material, none of which are particularly funny. I think his funniest movie is also his best - Dawn of the Dead.
_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

"Must it be as serious as Nolan's take on Batman? That down to earth? No comedy at all?"

Regarding Snyder, most of his movies are based on some source material, none of which are particularly funny. I think his funniest movie is also his best - Dawn of the Dead.

Yeah I forgot about that one, there are some humorious moments in that. But it's still not everyone laugh at once but still brings out some chuckles here and there.

One thing I think myself and everyone needs to stop doing is tying to compair it to Avengers and what Avengers did. It's not a Marvel movie, it's not directed, written or produced by the same people. If all your constatnly doing is compairing it and stacking it to another film you'll never truely appericate it for what it is. Only how it measures up to something else. Get lost in that rat race and you'll forget to enjoy it.

Man of Steel has already been filmed and in the cutting phase. It is what it is already and they need to go with that. Because what choice does DC/Warner have? Any attempts to go back and change things now would just show a lack of confidence and raise doubts with the fans. IMO

If I could say anything to the cast and crew of Man of Steel it would be "F#$K Marvel, F#$K the Avengers and F#$K breaking records. Make your movie and make it the best you can."

I hope that the phrase "It wasn't as good as the Avengers" never is uttered. But it will.

Edited by A6K on 02/06/2012 09:53

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

One thing I think myself and everyone needs to stop doing is tying to compair it to Avengers and what Avengers did. It's not a Marvel movie, it's not directed, written or produced by the same people. If all your constatnly doing is compairing it and stacking it to another film you'll never truely appericate it for what it is. Only how it measures up to something else. Get lost in that rat race and you'll forget to enjoy it.

I haven't seen the Avengers. I was never interested, and I'm still not. Just the same, I get what you mean and I agree. The Avengers gets a whole lot of love, but, and this is an ignorant opinion because I haven't seen it, it probably falls pretty flat compared to The Seven Samurai.

Basing movies against other movies isn't a wise thing to do, unless of course said movies are within the same franchise.
_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

I haven't seen the Avengers. I was never interested, and I'm still not. Just the same, I get what you mean and I agree. The Avengers gets a whole lot of love, but, and this is an ignorant opinion because I haven't seen it, it probably falls pretty flat compared to The Seven Samurai.

Basing movies against other movies isn't a wise thing to do, unless of course said movies are within the same franchise.

To further expand on that, saying "this worked for the Avengers, so everyone else NEEDS to do this" isn't a great idea.

I've heard "Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel will fail because Avengers was more family friendly, parents could take their kids to Avengers. That's why Avengers made so much."
Last time I checked Titanic, The Dark Knight and Avatar were not "let's take the kids to see this" movies. Sure you could but that was not the primary focus for 2+ hour movies.

MorganEdge
Well, Superman can't even be compared to Batman in a fair way, because integral part of the Supes mythos is a strong sci-fi element. TDK series has tried very successfully to make it as down to earth as possible, but when you got human looking aliens fighting it up in the sky with superpower strength.... Secondly, and this is very personal, Superman should be family friendly. He's Superman for crying outloud!!!!! The big blue boyscout! The guy doesn't even drink alcohol (unless you poison him a la Gus Gorman).

Hypoxic
[url=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=9778&pid=128727#post_128727]MorganEdge wrote:

He's Superman for crying outloud!!!!! The big blue boyscout! The guy doesn't even drink alcohol (unless you poison him a la Gus Gorman).

I've seen Supes drink. Also, what correlation is there between being good and not drinking booze?

Edited by Hypoxic on 02/06/2012 19:49

_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

[url=http://www.supermanhomepage.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=9778&pid=128727#post_128727]MorganEdge wrote:

He's Superman for crying outloud!!!!! The big blue boyscout! The guy doesn't even drink alcohol (unless you poison him a la Gus Gorman).
I've seen Supes drink. Also, what correlation is there between being good and not drinking booze?

I'm drining it right now.......WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?!?! *hick up*

AKalel
Also if you want to look at things another way look at Superman 2 before he became human Lois and he had champagne in the fortress so its just how much he does drink and what he does after drinking. I should mention in the Batman movies have we ever seen Bruce with a drink in his hands. One suspect when he is in his playboy mode he might have a drink in his hand but I do not think he has ever been shown actually drinking.

MorganEdge
You're right... I should rather say that he hardly ever drinks (the point being he's ideal material for kiddos).... but then again, DC comics probably just hasn't bothered to show us his drinking habits.

Hypoxic

>AKalel wrote:

I should mention in the Batman movies have we ever seen Bruce with a drink in his hands.

Yes, in Batman Begins, though he was pretending to be a drunk bafoon to kick everyone out of the manor to save them from Ra's.
_____

AKalel
I think in the first Tim Burton flick he pretended to be drunk with Vicki Vale he said something like one drink and I am flying.

Hypoxic
Let's not forget the original cover of Action Comics #869 showing Clark sharing a cold one with his old man at the farm. More importantly let's not forget the completely ridiculous outcry from the whinier section of the fanbase that called foul on the cover and got it recalled. That really boiled my potato.
_____

MorganEdge
I remember reading something about that...

Edited by MorganEdge on 04/06/2012 02:05

copacetic
Superman fans want the character to be this teetotaling virginal boy scout who remains married instead of single, has virtually never had sex and has every power under the (yellow) sun, and then wonder why other people find the character boring.

Hypoxic
There's a thread floating around somewhere asking members to describe their ideal Clark Kent/Superman. In my response I mentioned that my Clark would be just as heroic as Superman, doing good in his community, volunteering in soup kitchens, saving abused animals, reading to orphans, etc.

I like my Clark to act differently from Superman, but he is still at his base a regular everyday hero. What's more, he's a regular everyday guy. He likes to toss back a couple cold ones now again. I would love to sit down with a bunch of you goons and drown a few pints. That'd be good times.

Oh, and my Clark would be an atheist. There's no way Clark could know as much as he does about the universe and still believe in the stories of a few musty Earth books.
_____

copacetic

>Hypoxic wrote:

There's a thread floating around somewhere asking members to describe their ideal Clark Kent/Superman. In my response I mentioned that my Clark would be just as heroic as Superman, doing good in his community, volunteering in soup kitchens, saving abused animals, reading to orphans, etc.

I like my Clark to act differently from Superman, but he is still at his base a regular everyday hero. What's more, he's a regular everyday guy. He likes to toss back a couple cold ones now again. I would love to sit down with a bunch of you goons and drown a few pints. That'd be good times.

Oh, and my Clark would be an atheist. There's no way Clark could know as much as he does about the universe and still believe in the stories of a few musty Earth books.

DAMMIT I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID.

Jump to Forum: