Print Thread
Earth 2 (SPOILERS)
Hypoxic
So, who plans on following Earth 2? I read issue #1 today and it was quite good. I had a blast reading it. I like each Trinity character a lot, especially how individually heroic they are. The dialogue hits some bumps here and there ("We git her done!" Ah, jeez), but overall it reads pretty smoothly. Connecting it to the Fourth World just made my day. Made my day, I says!Grin

I'm unsure about picking up World's Finest to see what happens to Supergirl and Robin... I'll just wait a little bit, methinks.

3.5 out of 5
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

So, who plans on following Earth 2? I read issue #1 today and it was quite good. I had a blast reading it. I like each Trinity character a lot, especially how individually heroic they are. The dialogue hits some bumps here and there ("We git her done!" Ah, jeez), but overall it reads pretty smoothly. Connecting it to the Fourth World just made my day. Made my day, I says!Grin

I'm unsure about picking up World's Finest to see what happens to Supergirl and Robin... I'll just wait a little bit, methinks.

3.5 out of 5

I enjoyed it, and I was hoping to see Jay Garrick run fast...but I guess I would need to buy the next one for that. I'm not planning on continuing to buy this series, but if enough of you guys really like it I might pick them up.

One thing I was wondering about the story though, why didn't Superman just implant the virus himself?

IFightForTomorrow
I really enjoyed Earth 2. The vibe of the heroes presented has felt a little bit more traditional I suppose. I like that.

Worlds' Finest was a blast too! I'm definately following both. Dial H was also great, but certainly not for everyone. Reminded me of something Morrison would have done in the 80's. Has that sort of psychadelic menace that books like Doom Patrol had.

DCFan9
I also enjoyed Earth 2 a lot. I am especially excited about Jay Garrick. It will be cool to see his origin redone. I also enjoyed Worlds' Finest more than I thought I was going to. I did not pick up Dial H as I am already buying too many comics.
You were right all along. I am the villain of the story

Hypoxic
Well, you fellers may have sold me on World's Finest. I was going to wait a month to get the discounted digital, but perhaps I'll just grab it this week.

I picked up Dial H. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but it's definitely my bag. I was very excited when I heard DC was bringing the title back.
_____

theagingfanboy
It really blew me away. I couldn't figure out how Sylvester Pemberton and his Justice Society Inc were going to fit into the Digital Age Comics. Now we know: THEY DON'T! A brand new Earth-2, where the heroes come along after Earth-1. As a very long-term fan I'm into this. Any prizes for working out who The Atom is going to be? This really has taken me by surprise. A 10 so far DC.
With great power comes great responsibility.
No Lois, Superman is what I can do, but Clark is who I am.

Anthony Arfuso
I must be the only one who honestly didn't enjoy Earth-2 then.

How could Steppenwolf successfully manage to blind side a Amazonian trained warrior like Wonder Woman? Its just not possible. Why didn't Mercury just double back (he travels at the speed of light) upon realising Diana was about to be stabbed and just knock out Steppenwolf? Why didn't Robin just use a heat seeking missile from the Bat jet's aresenal and have it hone in on Steppenwolf to blast him away from Diana? Heck, why didn't Supergirl just hone her super hearing in on what was ocurring from where she was stationed and just rescue her fellow team mates (like her cousin she's "faster then a speeding bullet" ) and then return to her post even?? =/

I think either Robinson or the editors didn't really think of all the obvious "out" loop holes that could've easily a, prevented Diana from dying and b, have saved the "Trinity" themselves at large at that.

DCFan9

>Anthony Arfuso wrote:

I must be the only one who honestly didn't enjoy Earth-2 then.

How could Steppenwolf successfully manage to blind side a Amazonian trained warrior like Wonder Woman? Its just not possible. Why didn't Mercury just double back (he travels at the speed of light) upon realising Diana was about to be stabbed and just knock out Steppenwolf? Why didn't Robin just use a heat seeking missile from the Bat jet's aresenal and have it hone in on Steppenwolf to blast him away from Diana? Heck, why didn't Supergirl just hone her super hearing in on what was ocurring from where she was stationed and just rescue her fellow team mates (like her cousin she's "faster then a speeding bullet" ) and then return to her post even?? =/

I think either Robinson or the editors didn't really think of all the obvious "out" loop holes that could've easily a, prevented Diana from dying and b, have saved the "Trinity" themselves at large at that.

I reread this issue to see if your points are logically possible and they are not. First off i thought Wonder Woman's death had a sense of poetic irony. She was out for blood only looking forward, out to kill. She mentions her need to avenge the amazons and the gods. She was not thinking of the larger picture thus she was easily back stabbed by Steppenwolf. Now the point about mercury. Yes he can travel at the speed of light. This does not mean he can see everything. He was already miles away when Wonder Woman died. Robin's objective was to cover her father. To make sure he safely made it to the tower and to make sure it was secured. If Wonder Woman and Superman were to be decoys then they would not even be in the same vicinity of the tower therefore Robin could not cover both Batman and Wonder Woman. Supergirl was also in a different location with a different objective. When she lost communications with Superman she abandoned her post to find out why. (remember Wonder Woman died before she lost communications). I am not trying to shut all your points down but for you to want any of them to happen would cause for larger gaps in logic. I think Robinson did a good job realizing the limitations of each hero based on the scenario.

Hypoxic

>theagingfanboy wrote:

Any prizes for working out who The Atom is going to be?

My guess is Al Pratt. That would be awesome. I like Ray Palmer but his role in the DCnU is limited, so I do hope there's an Atom on Earth 2.
_____

Anthony Arfuso

>DCFan9 wrote:

I reread this issue to see if your points are logically possible and they are not. First off I thought Wonder Woman's death had a sense of poetic irony. She was out for blood only looking forward, out to kill. She mentions her need to avenge the Amazons and the gods. She was not thinking of the larger picture thus she was easily back stabbed by Steppenwolf.
With respect I beg to differ. Diana even blinded by rage own warrior senses of survial would have kicked in and have been even more heightend in the heat of battle, thus would be more then alert to Steppenwolf trailing behind her.

Now the point about Mercury. Yes he can travel at the speed of light. This does not mean he can see everything. He was already miles away when Wonder Woman died.
Mercury however is an actual Roman god, a divine entity. 1 of 12 from the Roman godly pantheon. The natural laws of man don't apply to him as they would for mortals, demi-gods or even aliens at that. Traveling at the speed of light (even in the bad shape as he was) wouldn't have stopped his godly foresight regardless from kicking in to sense Diana was in need of dire saving so he could of easily a, back tracked to save Diana from Steppenwolf, and b, carry on still with his next misions main objective. He's not Flash who's limted by the "Speedforce" to what he can and can't do. He's a divine entity.

Robin's objective was to cover her father. To make sure he safely made it to the tower and to make sure it was secured. If Wonder Woman and Superman were to be decoys then they would not even be in the same vicinity of the tower therefore Robin could not cover both Batman and Wonder Woman.
Then Bruce should've contacted Supergirl instead where she could've came in "faster then a speeding bullet" and stopped his death.

Supergirl was also in a different location with a different objective. When she lost communications with Superman she abandoned her post to find out why. (Remember Wonder Woman died before she lost communications).
Well this is the thing, Robinson should've recalled that just like her cousin she too has "super vision" as well as "super hearing" and Kara could've easily have kept an eye on the whole situation by those two superhuman abilities alone the whole time. She could've stopped Steppenwolf from killing Diana, saved Superman, Batman and Mercury while returning back to her post.

I am not trying to shut all your points down but for you to want any of them to happen would cause for larger gaps in logic. I think Robinson did a good job realizing the limitations of each hero based on the scenario.
All fair enough. Yet again with respect I don't share your acceptance of how Robinson chose to go about handling the "hows" and "whys" of the story itself.

Also, you want to know the real reason why Robinson killed off Diana? If Superman even survived? Then hear the following spoileriffic (so not joking here) podcast interview he conducted with comicvine (warning! Contains explisive language and sexual themes/inuendos) after the release of this titles first issue and what's to come in future issues even:

http://www.comicv...on/144661/

Anthony Arfuso

>Hypoxic wrote:

>theagingfanboy wrote:

Any prizes for working out who The Atom is going to be?

My guess is Al Pratt. That would be awesome. I like Ray Palmer but his role in the DCnU is limited, so I do hope there's an Atom on Earth 2.
I honestly hope its Al as well. Smile

IFightForTomorrow

>Hypoxic wrote:

Well, you fellers may have sold me on World's Finest. I was going to wait a month to get the discounted digital, but perhaps I'll just grab it this week.

I picked up Dial H. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but it's definitely my bag. I was very excited when I heard DC was bringing the title back.

Let us know what your feelings on World's Finest aret, Hypoxic. I think it is probably a little better than Earth 2 and has the potential to get even better as we go. You're in for a treat with Dial H by the way. That comic is slick.

DCFan9
I wasn't going to buy Dial H but everyone is just raving on about how good it is. I hope all of you are happy because my wallet isn't lol

theagingfanboy
Couple of points I thought of:

Traditionally the Earth 2 heroes are less powerful than the Earth 1 counterparts, which could explain why the Apokolips hoards weren't defeated more easily.

Someone made the point elsewhere that Batman and Wonder Woman weren't as important in the Earth 2 mythology as Superman. Thinking about this they're right. Kal-L was crucial to events in the original CoIE and Infinite Crisis, but WW and Batman were not. So it makes sense that the authors leave open the possibility that the Earth 2 Superman is still alive somewhere.

Or is my inner fanboy taking over and I'm reading too much into this?

A6K
Reminded me of Ultimate X-Men/Marvel.

All the great Heroes are dead and just legends. They just killed them quicker, I think it could have been stretched out a bit more.

I did like how Superman's S was like the one from the Movie, not much else though. Didn't much care for WW or Batman's costumes ether.

It's DC's version of Ultimate Comics to me. It works I reckon, how long will this series last anyways?

Zaniah

>theagingfanboy wrote:

Someone made the point elsewhere that Batman and Wonder Woman weren't as important in the Earth 2 mythology as Superman. Thinking about this they're right. Kal-L was crucial to events in the original CoIE and Infinite Crisis, but WW and Batman were not. So it makes sense that the authors leave open the possibility that the Earth 2 Superman is still alive somewhere.

No, your inner fanboy is right on this one I think. They mentioned they wanted to see "what it would take to make superman kill" in the leadup to this book. Based on that, I think he must still be around.

copacetic
I enjoyed it a lot and might even enjoy Earth 2 books a lot more than regular continuity. Although I'm still going to be getting Action Comics and seeing how those pan out. I definitely enjoyed this version of the heroes and am interested in seeing how the JSA is established, etc.

IFightForTomorrow

>Zaniah wrote:

>theagingfanboy wrote:

No, your inner fanboy is right on this one I think. They mentioned they wanted to see "what it would take to make superman kill" in the leadup to this book. Based on that, I think he must still be around.

Or it could be just more of the XTREME!!!!!!1!!1!!!! PR engine at work. I swear, there have been at least half a dozen issues of various comics from the DCnU where I read the solicits and shouted at the screen, "They're doing what?!"

Then I read the blasted thing to find that what I read in the solicit, while not a blatant lie was...erm, let's say "reverse-engineered" to make it sound more "Edgy" than the actual story it came from. I wonder how many comics fans they scare away from decent stories with those things. I read those comics in spite of the solicit, never because of them.

theagingfanboy
I think you're both right. For one thing the PR machine seems to, shall we say "over-egg" the content of some comics.

As for "what would it take for Superman to kill?" Well, probably being stuck in a pocket universe and facing Kryptonian villains who will follow you home and destroy your world like they've destroyed theirs, and realising that the only way you can preserve everything you've sworn to protect is to kill them in cold blood.

That would probably do it - oh wait, maybe it's been done already?

IFightForTomorrow
I read an article on a comics website (my gut says it was on CBR...) where they covered a DC panel in which Didio was asked about this very thing (superman of Earth 2 being dead, I mean) and he responded with a quasi spoilery, "Ah, but is he really dead?" Responce. The article went on to say that Bob Wayne went into a theatrical coughing fit to cut him off. Heh, so that's the next thing to confirmation: pretty good percentage chance that Earth 2 Superman is not dead. No body, no death right?

Jump to Forum: