Print Thread
THE SUIT MAKES HIM FLY!!!
lemarjones
I am disgusted with the Superman of DC Comics THE NEW 52. Yes, the same Superman written, drawn, published and distributed by the folks who hate Superman. They hate him so much so that, as revealed in Action Comics #8, Clark Kent doesn't have the ability to fly unless he's wearing the suit! He also doesn't feel the need to BE Clark Kent should his secret identity be exposed.

I'M DONE! TO OPPOSITE HEAVEN with this 'superman' and the entire NEW 52...(who comes up with that crap, anyway?)
- Baldy Award Winner

A6K

>lemarjones wrote:

I haven't seen Supergirl #4 (nor will I ever). So I'll stand by my statement that I have yet to see a Kryptonian, Kal or Kara, fly without a costume.

[img]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7842/supergirl4page7byanjumd.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There ya go buddy, Let me know if I can do anything else for ya!Grin

A6K

>lemarjones wrote:

There are several possible solutions. But I have yet to see a Kryptonian, Kal or Kara, fly without a costume.

Read Supergirl # 4 and tell me how your foot tastes.

Anyways, did you see the final episode of Smallville? Clark discovered that he could always fly, but it wasn't until he came to terms with who he was as Kal-El and Clark Kent that allowed his powers fully manifested. He was just holding himself back the whole time, a mental block if you will.

Perhaps the writers took this same approach with Superman in the New 52. We don't know yet, fact is Sueprgirl flew without a suit and perhaps Clark could but didn't accept who he was being raised by human parents who may have convinced him to keep his abilities under wraps.

Another fact is we don't know how much time passed between Metropolis being saved Superman standing in the sunlight and the next panel. One could assume that it was instantly but it could have been a couple of days, weeks or a month. Until The writers decide and put it out there I'll just say he's flying.

By that logic you can say "I THINK the suit makes him fly" but you can't say that for sure since it hasn't been explained. Supergirl flying without it makes me say it doesn't.

lemarjones
A6K. You see flying, I see leaping. I still stand by what I said.

I sincerely hope time shows that I'm completely wrong about the suit either giving or enhancing an ability to fly.

However, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SUPERMAN, especially the Superman I've grown to know and love over the last 35+ years. I tend to voice my opinions very strongly and stand by them just as strongly.

Admittedly, even though I've never liked this suit, I had really hight hopes for a re-imagined Superman. But I've come to a realization that man folks don't agree with: Superman didn't need to be re-imagined. The folks currently putting out Superman material needed to broaden the way they think/plan/create to fit Superman.

To be fair, I've seen some great ideas come out of Superman and Action Comics since September. I just think these idea are more befitting a character other than Superman. Criticize me for strongly voicing my opinion about that, Disagree with my opinion. I don't even mind the belittling thrown in my direction because I can give as good as I get. But don't fault me because I don't like what I'm seeing. I personally don't fault anyone for liking this new universe. I'm not going to criticize anyone who thinks most or all of the changes are great. That's their right. Nor would I ever blast a person for saying it's great or if they really hated something I really liked. I don't appreciate it when it happens to me or to anyone else.

Bottom line for me: I don't spend any more of my money of comics that represent The New 52, When Mr Terrific arrives in my pull box next week, I'm done with the comic book medium as produced by DC Comics, and I'm extremely sad about it.

I may be back, but I doubt it. But I will always visit and voice on the Homepage. You guys are GREAT!
- Baldy Award Winner

A6K
[img]http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/306/img0032sx.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do you see now?

lemarjones
Is she wearing the suit underneath? The suit(s) appear(s) to be able to take on different forms. I'm not sking to be a smarta$$. I didn't read the book, remember?
- Baldy Award Winner

A6K

>lemarjones wrote:

Is she wearing the suit underneath? The suit(s) appear(s) to be able to take on different forms. I'm not sking to be a smarta$$. I didn't read the book, remember?

No. The "pod" she arrieved in had fragments from Krypton attached to it, aka kryptonite. This guy took her pod, so when she tries to get it back she is exposed to kryptonite and is thus powerless, so they take her suit away and lock her up with the pod.

A guard or something decides this is wrong so he frees Supergirl and she goes apesh!t. Supergirl starts *gasp* flying through the place and get's her suit back.

A6K
[img]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8610/img0035ep.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5308/supergirl4t.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5333/supergirl42.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

lemarjones
It's official. I've seen a Kryptonian fly without suit in the DCnU.

Now, the question is, am I still right (he's able to fly due to the suit), and the writers and editors are doing a poor job of communicating and being consistent? Or am I juat flat out wrong? The truth is, nothing about his powers have been explained, at least not in the book.

Are her powers different? I see that her suit isn't white off of her body as the one that Clark wears was when we first saw it.
- Baldy Award Winner

a young tony curtis
@lemarjones,your BIG ANGRY THREAD TITLE is a POSSIBLE SPOILER that I've just seen on the Superman Comics menu section.

I am hoping that this thread title is untrue.I've just come on the comic section to check out another book and I'm not up to issue #8 yet of Action Comics,and seeing this thread title has hopefully not spoiled this for me.

If it turns out to be not true about the suit then fair enough,but please don't put possible spoilers there for all to see.

Mods,wherefore art thou?

Hypoxic
AYTC makes a valid point, and I apologize for not making a point of it myself. Unfortunately, thread titles can't be changed. Just keep in mind that lemarjones has made a personal speculation.

Let's all be a little mindful about our thread titles just as we should be about our posts.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

southpawdragon
is it true or untrue?

Hypoxic

>southpawdragon wrote:

is it true or untrue?

There has been no indication that the suits make them fly. It was merely speculation on the part of the original poster.
_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

>southpawdragon wrote:

is it true or untrue?

There has been no indication that the suits make them fly. It was merely speculation on the part of the original poster.

Just like 911 was in inside job, Sasquatch, Lock Ness Monster and Dec 22 Mayan Doomsday it will turn out to be a myth IMO

theagingfanboy
Phew!! I was worried there.
With great power comes great responsibility.
No Lois, Superman is what I can do, but Clark is who I am.

Pravus
I was looking through the post, noticed this thread, and had to check it out. It's been almost 5 months since the last post with no follow up. Has it been established either way if Supermans ability to fly is due to this new suit?

I haven't bought or read a Superman comic (or any for that matter) since Superman left Earth for new Krypton.

Kara being able to fly means nothing given DC's inability to maintain continuity.

Can Superman fly of his own will?

Hypoxic

>Pravus wrote:

I haven't bought or read a Superman comic (or any for that matter) since Superman left Earth for new Krypton.

Can Superman fly of his own will?

You'll have to read to find out. Pfft

Seriously, though, if you're not reading the books, what does it matter?
_____

Pravus
You'll have to read to find out.

Seriously, though, if you're not reading the books, what does it matter?

Great attitude, reminds me why I don't frequent this site much anymore.

I thought it was a straight forward question, if you weren't going to answer it why reply?

What the hell, I'll explain myself even though I shouldn't have to....

I started reading Superman/Action Comics at a very young age back in the late 60's. I fathfully did so, bought all the comics, merchandise, and supported the character right up untill DC took him completely out of his books and tried to sell me a bunch of 2nd stringers.

At that point the books had been on the downward sprial for some time, with few exceptions. I hung in hoping things would get better but that was the final straw, DC had yanked my chain for the last time.

I've built a collection that starts mid golden age and runs consecutively to the point Superman left for new Krypton so even though I'm not currently buying or reading the books I still have a history with Superman and I guess I'm still hoping for a reason to come back.

So I keep tabs on big blue.

Is that a reason worthy enough for you?

Hypoxic
Good grief.

I like how you deleted the emoticon, indicating I was joking.
_____

Pravus
I didn't delete the emoticon, I copied and pasted your comment and as it was and it didn't carry. I wasn't even aware that it wasn't there.

I never would have thought you were joking by the emoticon , which was placed after your first and not second sentence.

Jump to Forum: