Print Thread
Color-blind Casting
Owena
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board! My name is Owena Jordan, and I am a senior at California State University, Dominguez Hills. I am currently working on my senior project, attitudes and perspectives on color-blind casting and would appreciate any help you can provide by completing a brief and confidential survey. You are not obligated to complete this survey, but know that completing it will be greatly appreciated as I am pressed for time and need to have all the surveys done by 4/6/12. Please read below...

My senior project is on color-blind casting and in an effort to measure comic book aficionado's attitudes and perceptions on color-blind casting in film, posters who are knowledgeable about comic books and watch superhero films are asked to complete the following survey at:

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B2GBLNB">Click here to take survey</a>

within the next 2 weeks, before April 6, 2012. This survey should take posters less than 5 minutes.

All survey responses are completely anonymous and will not be connected to posters on this message board in any way. Posters will have the option of providing their contact information upon completion of the survey for further contact regarding this subject.

Should you have any questions, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate if you can complete this survey by April 6, 2012. Thank you!

a young tony curtis
Don't believe your link is working Owena.

Does color-blind casting lead to way too many gray people being in a film?.

This could also explain oompa loompas and the Na'vi then.

AKalel
Sorry can you clarify what your survey is about and what are you looking for. Are you asking something like the colors in a heros costume if they are one color over another if they make a bigger impact then others or something else.

Owena

>a young tony curtis wrote:

Don't believe your link is working Owena.

Does color-blind casting lead to way too many gray people being in a film?.

This could also explain oompa loompas and the Na'vi then.

Hello Young Tony Curtis,

You can try either of these links. Let me know if they work...

http://www.survey.../s/B2GBLNB

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B2GBLNB">Click here to take survey</a>

As an example, what I mean by color-blind casting is a Caucasian actor cast in a role originally written for an African American actor, such as Sir Laurence Olivier in Othello, or an African American actor cast in a role originally written for a Caucasian actor, such as Idris Elba as Heimdell in Thor or Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus in the Matrix. The races are interchangeable with Latins, Asians, African Americans and Caucasians. Another way of stating this is non-traditional casting. What I hope to do is measure how people feel about actors of one race being cast in roles originally written for actors of another race.

Owena

>AKalel wrote:

Sorry can you clarify what your survey is about and what are you looking for. Are you asking something like the colors in a heros costume if they are one color over another if they make a bigger impact then others or something else.

Hello AKalel,

My survey is about color-blind casting. I am trying to "measure" how comic book and superhero fans such as yourself feels about color-blind casting. Color-blind casting is when a person of one race, say a Latin or Asian actor, is cast in a role specifically written or imagined for a Caucasian actor, or a Caucasian actor cast in a role specifically written or imagined for a Latin or Asian actor. Also see specific examples that I cited in my reply to a Young Tony Curtis. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

a young tony curtis
Well the top link worked but there only appears to be one question about color-blind casting,question 8?,have I got the right link?,and to have that one question to be about the huge role of Superman himself I find that to be strange,you will not get a broad or detailed enough idea of color blind casting,or the general public's feelings on this issue when it is such a huge and long standing iconic role.

If it was a long standing black or Asian character that was going to be changed then that too would be one sided in favour of not changing.

Maybe you need more questions and ones that are not going to produce an obvious one sided response,unless that is what you are looking for?,sorry if that sounds harsh.

Just my opinion Owena.

Maybe you could look into the casting of Larry Fishburne as Perry White in the upcoming movie Man Of Steel,you may see a fairer more balanced argument there.

If the other link has a fairer and broader range of questions,then I apologize.

Owena

Well the top link worked but there only appears to be one question about color-blind casting,question 8?,have I got the right link?,and to have that one question to be about the huge role of Superman himself I find that to be strange,you will not get a broad or detailed enough idea of color blind casting,or the general public's feelings on this issue when it is such a huge and long standing iconic role.

If it was a long standing black or Asian character that was going to be changed then that too would be one sided in favour of not changing.

Maybe you need more questions and ones that are not going to produce an obvious one sided response,unless that is what you are looking for?,sorry if that sounds harsh.

Just my opinion Owena.

Maybe you could look into the casting of Larry Fishburne as Perry White in the upcoming movie Man Of Steel,you may see a fairer more balanced argument there.

If the other link has a fairer and broader range of questions,then I apologize.

You have the right link. There is only one question because I really don't want to inconvenience people with a long survey. It's just not practical. I honestly just want to know how people feel about the topic specifically regarding the role of a superhero. I am not looking for one sided responses.

Due to time constraints and the model I'm following, I cannot cover the entire subject of color-blind casting, there are too many facets and angles to cover. It's just not possible. I am doing scholarly and original research and that will require me to cover one aspect of color-blind casting. There is existing research on color-blind casting and my assignment is to further research, not repeat it.

I'm not sure what you are saying here:

If it was a long standing black or Asian character that was going to be changed then that too would be one sided in favour of not changing

Can you clarify this statement? Thanks.

Edited by Owena on 27/03/2012 18:54

Owena
Hi Young Tony,

Never mind about clarifying the following statement...

"If it was a long standing black or Asian character that was going to be changed then that too would be one sided in favour of not changing."

I understand the point that you are trying to make. The thing is...there is no right or wrong answer. It's just an opinion, and you are entitled to one just like everyone else. With that in mind, will you be completing the survey? I need as many participants as possible.

AKalel
Okay thanxs for clarification. I will not do the survey but think maybe just asking people their thought here is a better route to go.

Anyway for my thought is it depends on if one character is changed and why they were changed. I know some people were not happy when they heard Pete Ross was going to be African American and I know that was the least thing wrong with that character. In a 60ies era Lois Lane became African AMerican due to a machine of Supermans and I thought it was a great stiry. ALso I am not sure if it was Batman or Superman but there was one shot either called Realworld Batman or Superman or Just Imagine Stan Lee creating Batman or Superman. Anyway in one of the stories they made him human but non caucasian and it did not lessen anything as far as I can recall its been years since I have read or looked at the book.. On a side not I know this has been done on TV but it would be interesting to see if they did a for lack of a better term a sexual reversal story or series by this I mean this. Instead of Jor-el sending his only child a son to Earth his only daughter to Eartth (no joke here Kar-el who becomes Clara Kent or something like that ) a fellow reporter/love interest Louis Lane, editior Penny Lane and cub photographer Jane Olsen. I think it might be intersting story given how in alot of ways woman are having same rights and opportunities as males and no one has done it yet.

Sorry for the ramble best of luck tho and let us know how things end up please.

a young tony curtis

>Owena wrote:

Hi Young Tony,

Never mind about clarifying the following statement...

"If it was a long standing black or Asian character that was going to be changed then that too would be one sided in favour of not changing."

I understand the point that you are trying to make. The thing is...there is no right or wrong answer. It's just an opinion, and you are entitled to one just like everyone else. With that in mind, will you be completing the survey? I need as many participants as possible.

Hi Owena

It is just an opinion,I fully agree,and again,I hope I wasn't too harsh with my previous post,what I would have liked would be more questions as I said,and I understand you need to keep it simple and save time,a big detailed survey as you say would be difficult for you.

Certain characters from history,fictional or real are just too big and ingrained into society and people's own lives and families to change them,from grandparents and parents telling stories or teaching their kids about iconic people and characters from history,that's why I think you may get a high percentage of the survey that will be against the Superman actor change.

I suggested extra questions as it may help you get a more balanced result as you might not get one with that character and question,I don't think I've been very clear with my reply,hope you get what I mean Owena as I do tend to waffle on!.

Good luck with the survey and your studiesGrin

a young tony curtis
Owena wrote:

Due to time constraints and the model I'm following, I cannot cover the entire subject of color-blind casting, there are too many facets and angles to cover. It's just not possible. I am doing scholarly and original research and that will require me to cover one aspect of color-blind casting. There is existing research on color-blind casting and my assignment is to further research, not repeat it.

Now I understand why just that one question,thanks for explaining,if I had taken the time to fully read your post,then I would have seen that you already had existing research,and was only after specific further research,hence the one question,and I wouldn't have posted my last post...whew!,what a mess this thread has turned into thanks to me.

My bad Owena,at least I'm admitting it,and this thread will at least give some readers a face palm moment at least lol.

Hypoxic,be kind to me man,delete all my posts then shoot me.please.

Owena

Owena wrote:

Now I understand why just that one question,thanks for explaining,if I had taken the time to fully read your post,then I would have seen that you already had existing research,and was only after specific further research,hence the one question,and I wouldn't have posted my last post...whew!,what a mess this thread has turned into thanks to me.

My bad Owena,at least I'm admitting it,and this thread will at least give some readers a face palm moment at least lol.

Hypoxic,be kind to me man,delete all my posts then shoot me.please.

Don't sweat it Young Tony! No worries. Wink

Owena

>AKalel wrote:

Okay thanxs for clarification. I will not do the survey but think maybe just asking people their thought here is a better route to go.

Anyway for my thought is it depends on if one character is changed and why they were changed. I know some people were not happy when they heard Pete Ross was going to be African American and I know that was the least thing wrong with that character. In a 60ies era Lois Lane became African AMerican due to a machine of Supermans and I thought it was a great stiry. ALso I am not sure if it was Batman or Superman but there was one shot either called Realworld Batman or Superman or Just Imagine Stan Lee creating Batman or Superman. Anyway in one of the stories they made him human but non caucasian and it did not lessen anything as far as I can recall its been years since I have read or looked at the book.. On a side not I know this has been done on TV but it would be interesting to see if they did a for lack of a better term a sexual reversal story or series by this I mean this. Instead of Jor-el sending his only child a son to Earth his only daughter to Eartth (no joke here Kar-el who becomes Clara Kent or something like that ) a fellow reporter/love interest Louis Lane, editior Penny Lane and cub photographer Jane Olsen. I think it might be intersting story given how in alot of ways woman are having same rights and opportunities as males and no one has done it yet.

Sorry for the ramble best of luck tho and let us know how things end up please.

Hi, the gender reversal idea sounds really interesting...I wonder how it would be received by the general public. It could make a very interesting study. It is certainly different and could be original, depending on what has already been researched out there in academia.

Don't worry about the rambling...I do the same; it's cool. If you haven't already and are interested, please complete the survey as there is only 3 more days left...thanks!

AKalel
the reason i brought up gender reversal is a show caled battlestar galctica did it recently in the original series one of the main cast was male but when it came back a few years ago that character became female and some people had a issue with it. now i am not reading it and its not quite the same as gender reversal but i would be curious on how the spider-man in the recent ultimate title is not peter parker or a clone as i understand plus is hispanic i believe.

Owena

>AKalel wrote:

the reason i brought up gender reversal is a show caled battlestar galctica did it recently in the original series one of the main cast was male but when it came back a few years ago that character became female and some people had a issue with it. now i am not reading it and its not quite the same as gender reversal but i would be curious on how the spider-man in the recent ultimate title is not peter parker or a clone as i understand plus is hispanic i believe.

Ha! That's right. Starbuck in the original was a white male and rebooted, Starbuck was a white female. Boomer in the original was a Black male and in the reboot, an Asian female.

I haven't read the Ultimate Spiderman yet (too much schoolwork and reading), but my understanding is that he a half-Black, half-Latino kid.

A6K
Your asking about something like Lawrence Fishburn being cast as Perry White?

Whatever, as long as it works and makes sense. Comicbook fans are fickle and crazy (myself included) you could use a comic as the script and cast characters based on looks alone with the sets perfectly arranged as in the comic and fans would complain it isn't faithful enough to the source material.

It's all subjective. Non Comics fans don't care, comic fans are crazy so your data will be inconclusive.

Non Comic fans will want to know why, if the explanation is logical it will be accepted.

Comic fans want what is pictured in their mind, since that is impossible so is casting/directing/set design/costume design/ect...

in the end if it's good it will please a majority of both.

Owena

>A6K wrote:

Whatever, as long as it works and makes sense. Comicbook fans are fickle and crazy (myself included) you could use a comic as the script and cast characters based on looks alone with the sets perfectly arranged as in the comic and fans would complain it isn't faithful enough to the source material.

It's all subjective. Non Comics fans don't care, comic fans are crazy so your data will be inconclusive.

Non Comic fans will want to know why, if the explanation is logical it will be accepted.

Comic fans want what is pictured in their mind, since that is impossible so is casting/directing/set design/costume design/ect...

Thanks, if it isn't too much trouble, can you complete the survey? Even if you have to cut and paste this response to answer the open ended question...I really need a large pool to draw data from.

Owena

>Owena wrote:

>A6K wrote:

Thanks, if it isn't too much trouble, can you complete the survey? Even if you have to cut and paste this response to answer the open ended question...I really need a large pool to draw data from.

I'm officially closing the link to this survey tomorrow evening, Friday, 4/6/12 at 11:59 PM. If you haven't already completed the survey and are interested, please follow the link from my original post by this time, thanks!

Jump to Forum: