Print Thread
New Smallville Comic
AKalel
I am curious will any of you who watched and liked the show be picking it up and if so is their any particular reason on why? If not likewise why will you not be picking it up. Part of me is reluctant but going to try it at least for a few issues.

Whogaman
Well, since it's "Superman" I'll give it a try. This could be a great opportunity to get into Clark's head after the Darkseid/Apokolips incident. You can explore Clark's being Superman with all the leftover Smallville angst. I'll read a couple of issues until my budget dictates otherwise.

Peace Whoga
[img]https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1543679_624694037566834_909789152_n.jpg?oh=448b277b52c10f94d290f54275a18dc1&oe=52D8C0FD[/img]=====================================
"Like the only real magic -- The magic of knowledge."

gusgorman
Read it earlier. Like it so far (even though Supe's first appearance is a copy of the intro to Superman IV). The new suit is nice. Welling looks good as Supes ... too bad the second half of Season 10 (or even the second half of the finale) couldn't be Welling as Supes in action.

Back to the comic, the art isn't great. But I'll keep reading, for a bit anyway, to give it a good go.
Hi, Ms. Vulcan.

Hypoxic
It's $0.99 and it shows.

It claims to be full length but the panel repetition cheats us out of that. The story is a typical ho-hum affair but there is something stirring. Just the same, the story is overly concerned with introducing Superman and leaves any sort of tangible cliffhanger or hint of threat off the page. Like Gus mentioned, it borrows heavily from Superman IV.

I'm willing to give issue #1 the benefit of the doubt and give the next issue a shot.

For now, this issue is a teetering 1.5 out of 5

I have a question: in the Smallville universe, does Oliver Queen live in Metropolis?
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Vadinhio
I really enjoyed it. Miller is definitely a rising star and showed a deft touch here; I especially like that the art invoked the cast but not overbearingly so. The buildup to the first scene with Clark as Superman was especially well done, and the new look to the outfit worked really well. Seriously, even if you are a fan who really didn't like Smallville--and heaven knows, that show certainly had it's fair share of problems--make no mistake: this is a Superman story and is worth your time and your dollar. If this level of quality can be maintained, then I really hope it sells well enough in digital and print form to last for years to come. My only "complaint" is that I have to wait a week for more!

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

I have a question: in the Smallville universe, does Oliver Queen live in Metropolis?

Hypoxic, Yes.

I enjoyed it...I loved Smallville seasons 1-3 and 10. It's nice to see some old "friends" and I'm looking forward to more from this title.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

Hypoxic, Yes.

I see. Another strike against the title for me then. I didn't care at all for the introducing of a bunch of heroes like Green Arrow and the Flash in Smallville, but Ollie actually living and fighting crime in Metropolis rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway, I'm still going to give the title a fair shake, due to the price mostly, I admit.
_____

Anthony Arfuso
I'm just going to wait till it comes out in "traditional" physical comic format like Justice League Beyond Unlimited has and buy it. Smile

AKalel
I thought in one of the last episodes of the show Ollie and Clark talked to one another about Ollie taking his new wife Chloe away from SMallville and Metropolis. Anyway I will not be able to go fior digital comic but would like someone if they think of it compare the digital to the printed version to see if there is anything that saw in one format and not in the other.

Vadinhio
A fantastic second installment. Miller really keeps the story zipping along. The Clark-Lois banter was really well done and I was not expecting that twist at the end. They are really setting up some interesting storylines here and I am really looking forward to what happens next! My one minor quibble is about the artwork; the male likenesses are ok, but Lois really doesn't look very much like Durance here to the point where it is a little distracting. Still, very enjoyable. If you are one of those folks who miss pre-Flashpoint Superman, you should absolutely give this title a shot-I suspect you will like this even if you didn't like the show.

Hypoxic
Issue #2 was a few shades better than #1. The dialogue runs smoothly, though the story itself isn't much fun. The whole Lex amnesia thing is cheap and the shabbiness of it comes across strongly in the comic book. Also, what's with putting Lex in the dark so often?

The art is inconsistent, at times very clean, at others sloppy.

2 out of 5
_____

SupermanJLU
Yeah I will picking this up in physical form only and can't wait to read it. I loved Smallville and I love Superman comics. I look forward to seeing where they go with Clark and his journey as Superman now.

Steve Wright
Im just waiting on this to be released in May. I don't want to have to wait a week at a time..lol

Vadinhio
Chapter three had a little too much emphasis on Oliver and Chloe for my taste (I think that the main focus in any Superman story needs to be squarely on Lois and Clark, something that the show repeatedly forgot), but at least Miller keeps it moving nicely with some nice GA/Superman action. It really felt like a quality Season 9/Season 10 episode of Smallville.

Once again I am forced to wonder what would have happened if they had Clark had donning the suit and Lois and Clark getting married early in Season 10 instead of what we actually saw on screen; my guess is that the show would still be on the air. †But I digress. †If the comic were a real episode we'd be at the the first commercial break by now, I gather. †The dialogue felt spot on, but the artwork remains a little inconsistent, but it is at least the first week that Lois looked like Erica. ††I suspect that we're done with the setup for the season now and things are really going to get moving, and I can hardly wait for next week. †I was personally skeptical about the digital thing at first but I'm actually really enjoying the weekly digital format quite a bit, although I already have the print version on my pull list (first DC title in many months, actually) in order to send DC a clear unambiguous message that this is the kind of story they ought to continue producing.

Honestly, I can't remember enjoying a Superman title this much since when Kurt Busiek was writing them - Smallville S11 is just pure concentrated fun. †For me personally it's just really refreshing to have a Superman book (where Clark is optimistic and having fun being Superman, Martha is still alive, Lois is still a reporter, and Clark and Lois are still together) that can just be simply enjoyed again. ††I cannot say enough good things about this title; highly recommended.

NeoRanger
After about ten years of not having said a kind word toward anything related to this show, I am delighted to admit I'm enjoying the book. The first three chapters were a snooze, but it's really picked up.

While it's maintaining its context from the show (i.e. characters, storylines etc.), it has finally done what the show failed at any given time of its over-extended life-cycle: it has become a pretty standard Superman story. I wouldn't call it great, I still don't understand who it's aimed at (Smallville audience was in its majority not comic book readers), but hell; I'm actually enjoying it. Can't complain for more Superman, if it's done well.

Whogaman
After reading 'Season 11', it seems to be done in the style of the show only with, I think, some interesting subplots, and some things that ,make me think, 'oh no they didn't'. As in another retread of the Hank Henshaw Cyborg.

I mean if they had done the Doomsday story similar to the "Death" in the comics, a cyborg should have been made by Luthorcorp. Maybe Lex trying to make his own Blur from Kryptonian DNA from a sample from one of the Kandorians that was left behind.

As it is, I think that Lex is trying to get Tess's consciousness out of his head and either control it or destroy it.

At least here we see Lois and Clark as they should be and not leaving us to wonder if they will ever get together as shown in the New 52. And Chloe and Oliver are as they were depicted in the show. Wonder what they will find?

I only have one question: Why are they calling this comic "Smallville" when the majority of the stories take place in Metropolis? The only place that Smallville is referenced is in Chloe and Oliver's search for whatever landed in the corn field in Smallville. I may have to go back to calling this mess 'Metroville' again. Shock Grin

Peace Whoga
[img]https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1543679_624694037566834_909789152_n.jpg?oh=448b277b52c10f94d290f54275a18dc1&oe=52D8C0FD[/img]=====================================
"Like the only real magic -- The magic of knowledge."

The Last Kryptonian
Check this out, Smallville: Season 11 issue 1 reprint cover.
[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/fo0yv9.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
Now this is what Superman's costume is supposed to look like DC/WB.

Hypoxic
That's a crackin' cover! Seeing the old outfit (well, the most recent old one, anyway) doesn't make me miss it. I wholly happy with how the new design looks.
_____

NeoRanger

>Hypoxic wrote:

That's a crackin' cover! Seeing the old outfit (well, the most recent old one, anyway) doesn't make me miss it. I wholly happy with how the new design looks.

Surprisingly, I don't miss it either. It's even started looking kind of odd to me. As much as I defended all the recent redesigns, I didn't expect that.

I have issues with the cover, though. Looks great, but it's too "marketing department call" for my tastes. Guy looks like Chris Reeve (and nothing like the character is drawn in the actual book).

Marc Pritchard
That, I believe, is the same image from the end of the show's finale. I'm actually more than a little surprised it wasn't used in the first print.
Up, up . . . and omigod don't look down!

Jump to Forum: