Print Thread
Thought re Zod & the New Movie
AKalel
I apolgize if this should be in another thread and if it is I was not sure which one. Anyway it seems like for all intents and purposes Zod is the main bad guy of the movie. That being said I am wondering has anyone realy thought of a resolution so to speak of Zod. Now I am hoping Zach does something different then these 2 possible resolutions he and any other super baddies get banished to some sort of Phantom Zone or they are killed. Now as cool as it mifght be to see Zach version I am kind of hoping in someways he is killed if handled properly it could be a interesting end to the movie have a young CLark/Superman be gut wrenched for taking a death (even though it was a baddie) and wonder if he is to be a true hero he could of prevented it. What do you think sound good or have any of you realy thought about iit or just waiting to see.

BOBURNHAMISCOOL
what if superman take's away zod's powers and zod takes a human name, gets rich and becomes Lex Luthor. (just kidding)
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman" - Homer Simpson

suttie7

>AKalel wrote:

I apolgize if this should be in another thread and if it is I was not sure which one. Anyway it seems like for all intents and purposes Zod is the main bad guy of the movie. That being said I am wondering has anyone realy thought of a resolution so to speak of Zod. Now I am hoping Zach does something different then these 2 possible resolutions he and any other super baddies get banished to some sort of Phantom Zone or they are killed. Now as cool as it mifght be to see Zach version I am kind of hoping in someways he is killed if handled properly it could be a interesting end to the movie have a young CLark/Superman be gut wrenched for taking a death (even though it was a baddie) and wonder if he is to be a true hero he could of prevented it. What do you think sound good or have any of you realy thought about iit or just waiting to see.

I like your thinking. It would have to be written very well, but maybe Zod dies incidentally during a fight, which is sort of unavoidable for Supes, and as a result he realises that it is his duty to make sure no one dies, no matter how naughty they have been. It could help form his morals and set his standards up for future movies.

Not saying i love the idea totally, but i do like your alternative and think it could work if done carefully and well.
His name is Kal-El. He will call himself Clark Kent, but the world will know him as Superman.

AKalel
I am just saying choice with what occurs to Zod have to be rather limited I think unless he secaped from Krypton the only other place he could be is some sort Phantom Zne and that has been done . If you kill him depending on how and why could be good or bad. As for removing his pweers sure that solves one problem but unless a case of super amnesia occurs as well you are limited to what you can do with him. It's not like you could put him in a human prison.

samchn07
i am just saying the superman movie. This is the best of many action movies.........

Supereyes
Say he's presumably dead, but I think...as a trilogy, what would make a bonus twist would be to have Zod return in the third movie, but as a side villain. In the second and third, Lex Luthor should be featured.

Now I'm getting another idea...

I always loved that moment in Transformers 3 where Optimus and...(I forgot the bad robot's name) they have their final battle. This film gets a different main baddie, but by the end, Optimus has a final showdown with the original bddie of the series. "Who would you be without me?" Optimus, "Only one way to find out."

reminds me of Superman and Luthor. I have a feeling they're going to make Zod, Superman's worst enemy instead of Luthor, who knows. But can there really be a Superman without Lex Luthor?

Even though John Shea left after season 1 of Lois & Clark, he still made guest appearances, and same with Smallville, Lex still had to be the number one villain on the show even though Michael rosenbaum left after season 7. Lex is only human and doesn't have powers, but Zod does.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

AKalel
Even though Small is considered by pretty much everyone as being outside of canon I do not think it would of worked to have another big villian for the show without it either getting old or having to do a complex story of why that baddie is in SMalville. I do not know about others but at times I wished the ZOd story had ended earlier then it did. It always seemed like they did that with the hope that SUperman movie fans or old time fans would tune in. Also you got to think aty least in part it was not just telling the story of Clark and his journey but also Lex's story.

Chris Rock
Really, no trailer not even a teaser yet. Yeah I get it. Maybe at Super Bowl or maybe in July when Dark Knight Rises comes out. If they're concerned about the distance of the release date being on the teaser then just say coming soon but please throw me a teaser soon. Maybe they were waiting for Nolan to be done TDKR. I'm looking forward to the first look more than Christmas. If you told me to choose from a new car or watch the teaser, I'd choose the teaser. I am pumped.

suttie7

>Chris Rock wrote:

Really, no trailer not even a teaser yet. Yeah I get it. Maybe at Super Bowl or maybe in July when Dark Knight Rises comes out. If they're concerned about the distance of the release date being on the teaser then just say coming soon but please throw me a teaser soon. Maybe they were waiting for Nolan to be done TDKR. I'm looking forward to the first look more than Christmas. If you told me to choose from a new car or watch the teaser, I'd choose the teaser. I am pumped.

Don't hold your breath. I cant see us getting a teaser anytime before TDKR. Then we will likely get a full trailer at The Hobbit. I can't foresee a teaser coming out more than one year before the movie is released.
His name is Kal-El. He will call himself Clark Kent, but the world will know him as Superman.

AKalel
I do not see it getting one for Super Bowl and depending on if it gets its Xmas 2012 release I would think perhaps around the time Avengers opens. On a side note can anyone think of any DC movie that had a teaser or trailer premiere during the Super Bowl?

Derek1983
Personally I think the movie can turn out good if they do it right. The thing that irritates me is the fact that they are having Zod as the main villain. Really, you would figure since they have already done Zod that maybe they would do something new. Maybe they could have villains like Brainiac or Darkside in the movie which would bring a lot of action along with them.

AKalel
With complexity with Darkseid and Brainac I think one movie would nto be sufficent maybe they will hint at them or have them mentioned towards the end of the movie.

suttie7
I think they have gone for Zod because they want pure hand-to-hand, man to man combat to show off Supermans power and maximise the action. If you go for Brainiac, you need more of a story with twists and turns but that would be better for a sequel. What they need here, because its an origin story, is not a lot of twists and turns in the main plot but plenty of big action because remember Superman hasn't had a movie that has been seen as a success since 1980. The best way to get success, whether you or I agree with it or not, is big action eg Transformers.

Now I know they are going for a character driven movie, more in depth and real, and i support that, i just mean that for the pure action scenes themselves, that is why i think they have gone for Zod. Also, as I outlined on the rumour and plot page, I think Superman will have to choose between a moral dilemma of whether to stick with Zod, who is part of his heritage on Krypton, or to stand up and protect Earth. This is probably the point at which he will CHOOSE to become Superman. In STM, Clark Kent just became Superman but we werent shown why or how. In the Man of Steel, I think he will make the conscious decision that he must become Superman and protect the world, and that will be a large part of the story. That part might not come until late in the movie though when Zod goes fully evil.

Thats just my speculation thought Smile

AKalel
As I have statedin other posts I think it would be neat if in another one perhaps the follow up to this flick a sorta team up of Lex and Brainy and together create a Doomsday. To take it one step further they could have a point where Zod lauchs a satelite or rocket before babvy Kalel's that perhaps has some sort of storage of all of Kryptons's military secrets or knowledge. If iots not a storage it can be some sort of computer ala Brainiac was in the annimated series a computer with AI and somehow it gets damaged when Krypton blows up and gets sent on a path that takes it to Earth in a different and longer trip then Kalel's ship. Then years later it crashes to Earth and maybe is found a science division of Luthor Corp, Lexcorp or whatever.

suttie7

>AKalel wrote:

As I have statedin other posts I think it would be neat if in another one perhaps the follow up to this flick a sorta team up of Lex and Brainy and together create a Doomsday. To take it one step further they could have a point where Zod lauchs a satelite or rocket before babvy Kalel's that perhaps has some sort of storage of all of Kryptons's military secrets or knowledge. If iots not a storage it can be some sort of computer ala Brainiac was in the annimated series a computer with AI and somehow it gets damaged when Krypton blows up and gets sent on a path that takes it to Earth in a different and longer trip then Kalel's ship. Then years later it crashes to Earth and maybe is found a science division of Luthor Corp, Lexcorp or whatever.

Yeah I like your thinking.

Not many people agree with me, but I think a Doomsday movie is a must. Not as a full movie, just for the first half. And the reason is that he is not an engaging villain, but for Superman to be the ultimate superhero, he has to make the ultimate sacrifice-himself. I would like to see Superman fighting Doomsday and at a point towards the end of the fight, Superman KNOWING/REALISING he is not going to survive the fight, but CHOOSING to fight on anyway, and defeating doomsday and dying in the same act. It's not that i want to see Superman die just for the sake of it, it's because if he does die, and most importantly knows that he is going to die, then that makes him the ultimate hero and protector, and it shows his love for humans.

(i dont want to sound too emotional)

It has the potential to be one of the great scenes in movies if done right i think. They sort of touched on it in the animated Doomsday movie when Lois tried to stop him from going back and he said,"It's why I'm here." An extension of that to a longer scene, requiring great acting and Supermans realisation that he will die trying to protect Earth.

I reckon see Doomsday emerge right at the end of MOS sequel to set it up. Save it for the third movie, and then another villain would have to fill the second half of the movie, before Superman returns and proves he will always be here to protect Earth, and thats the end of the Trilogy.

AKalel
I think if they wanted to hint at something towards the end of Man of Steel this is one of the ways they could do it. After however the Zod situation is resolved have it start the closing credits then maybe perhaps halfway through the following scene. Show some unknown area with truck with some sort of Luthor or Lex Corp logo on the side in background and bunch of people in lab coats or something looking at a sort of scan where a faint outline of something and one these mysterious men (scientists) on a cellphone say something like sir we found something sir. Then the credits continue to roll. Now it could be neat cause us Superman readers would have to wit to see if this was a ship housing a Doomsday or Brainac. Skip ahead to when the movie opens one of the first scenes if they opt it to be Doomsday or a ship or something holding him you could either show reports of this unknown Lex/Luthor Corp location found empty or destroyed. If that is no good have Lois and Clark at the site with a bunch or reporters trying to find out what happenned and what was being done. The neat thing is no one would know what was going on. or has even known about Doomsday. Now if they wanted to go to the Brainac route the first season of the follow up showing a lab in which scientists are trying to get into what they found.

Wish I was a better writer so I could create a script and send it in.

Supereyes
Yeah...but that's like the end of "Iron Man 2".

Supposedly in X2, William Striker was the main baddie of the film, and he was human. I was quite amazed at how they were able to use a human, without super powers, but ultimately give him the most power in the story. He nearly killed millions of mutants. Though the additional baddie in this was Magneto. He still played a fair part in the movie, even though Striker was the main bad guy.

I didn't really think about it but most of the villains in Batman aren't super-powered, except Bane. But Duccard...or Ras Al Ghul was just a human, pretty much a regular guy. As was the bad guy in Iron Man.

Now Lex Luthor seems to be only a bald guy with a large IQ. He's smart enough to discover Superman's weakness. There needs to be more than that though.

I think if you had Zod as the main villain in a Superman movie, you what know how he should be portrayed in the movie. 1)Escape from the Phantom Zone 2) Take over Earth, and possibly with his soldiers too 3) Saying, "Kneel before Zod", flying and using other powers 4) Fighting Superman.

One thing that works is because Zod has super strength and the ability to fly, so it's a challenge for Superman.

Lex on the other hand is mortal and Superman can't hurt a human being, he can only stand in the way of his threats.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

sandman1347
Well, I have maintained from the start that they should do a trilogy with Zod, Doomsday and Braniac as the main bad guys in that order. Lex should be the human bad guy in each of those three movies and provide a more mental challenge. Of course in the 3d film when Supes faces Braniac, Lex would have to end up helping Supes!

Anyways, I actually disagree with the notion that Superman should kill Zod and be overwhelmed with guilt. Enough of that nonsense already! I'm tired of Superman going out of his way to save the lives of mass murderers just so that they can live to go on another killing spree. That's not very heroic. In fact it's almost evil. His pathological need to never get blood on his hands (even if it means allowing thousands of innocents to die) should be removed from the story.

Look, this Superman movie is clearly going to be different from the previous ones. The whole lawsuit between DC and the creators has made change a certainty. It seems that they are going in a slightly more adult direction with the story and I think part of that should be that, while he never wants to kill anyone, Superman will be willing to do what is necessary to save lives. I don't mean he should kill people on a whim but I don't want to see him crying over the death of an evil demi-god who would have exterminated the human race.

This is one of the things that Marvel has figured out about movies. Trying to maintain the comic book rule of no-killing just doesn't necessarily work in a movie. The reason they don't kill in comics isn't just because they're the good guys. That's part of it but the bigger reason is because if you kill someone, you can't put them in the next issue. Movies are different. They are not ongoing, they are finite and you want to drive things towards a conclusion. That's why Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus died at the end of the Spiderman movies and it's why the X-men killed all those people in the 2nd and 3d movies. Live action moves don't mesh well with quaint, childish comic book idealism.

A6K

>sandman1347 wrote:

Well, I have maintained from the start that they should do a trilogy with Zod, Doomsday and Braniac as the main bad guys in that order. Lex should be the human bad guy in each of those three movies and provide a more mental challenge. Of course in the 3d film when Supes faces Braniac, Lex would have to end up helping Supes!

Anyways, I actually disagree with the notion that Superman should kill Zod and be overwhelmed with guilt. Enough of that nonsense already! I'm tired of Superman going out of his way to save the lives of mass murderers just so that they can live to go on another killing spree. That's not very heroic. In fact it's almost evil. His pathological need to never get blood on his hands (even if it means allowing thousands of innocents to die) should be removed from the story.

Look, this Superman movie is clearly going to be different from the previous ones. The whole lawsuit between DC and the creators has made change a certainty. It seems that they are going in a slightly more adult direction with the story and I think part of that should be that, while he never wants to kill anyone, Superman will be willing to do what is necessary to save lives. I don't mean he should kill people on a whim but I don't want to see him crying over the death of an evil demi-god who would have exterminated the human race.

This is one of the things that Marvel has figured out about movies. Trying to maintain the comic book rule of no-killing just doesn't necessarily work in a movie. The reason they don't kill in comics isn't just because they're the good guys. That's part of it but the bigger reason is because if you kill someone, you can't put them in the next issue. Movies are different. They are not ongoing, they are finite and you want to drive things towards a conclusion. That's why Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus died at the end of the Spiderman movies and it's why the X-men killed all those people in the 2nd and 3d movies. Live action moves don't mesh well with quaint, childish comic book idealism.

Well this New 52 Superman doesn't seem to be this way.....well he hasnít killed anyone but he doesn't seem to mind roughing up someone more than he did before, I expect this Superman in Man of Steel to follow suit, because the suit did, well follow suit.

Armor looking, no briefs and alien. I'm guessing the Superman in the movies is going to be just as conflicted and alienated as he is in the comics now. Along with that a little rougher around the edges.

AKalel
I think like the heroes you cannot realy say villians are the same in the DC and Marvel Universes. Sure they both do bad things but they do them for different reasons and it seems to me the motives their motives and different types of oprigins set them apart. Some might even go as far as saying in someways Marvel baddies are a tad more relestic then DC ones. That being said I am not a bigger fan of one universe over the other.

Jump to Forum: