Print Thread
The TV Thread
Hypoxic
An all encompassing thread to discuss television. Sitcoms, documentaries, political forums, dramas, what have you, all non-Superman related.

I generally dislike most of TV. I tend to almost exclusively watch documentaries, such as those on National Geographic Wild or BBC. Recently though, I've started to slink back into a few shows.

I started watching The Big Bang Theory about a month ago. Man, is that show ever hysterical. The episode where they dress up as the Justice League to win the prize at the comic book shop is priceless. This is the funniest show I've seen in years.

Last night I watched the first two episodes of Game of Thrones. I'm not overly impressed yet. The most interesting character (the Imp) and the most intriguing plot point (Jon Snow and the Night's Watch) are buried under a convoluted cornucopia of flat characters and uninteresting subplots. It reminded why I don't particularly like TV shows. Granted, I'm only two episodes in and given my love for fantasy I'm going to carry on. However, I can't help but think right now that the high production value and the constant boob shots are designed almost as a distraction from how poorly orchestrated and derivative the show is. It seems little more than a soap opera tricking us into accepting it as high fantasy. I hope it gets better.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

A6K
The rate at which I agree with you on most things must make it seem like I'm a huge suck up but once again I'm with you on not liking most of TV.

The History Channel, Discovery Channel and Animal Planet are where I spend most of my TV viewing time. I am part of the survival show craze. Dual Survival, Man vs Wild, Man Woman Wild suck me in like a black hole. And now that they are on Netflix I can spend a whole afternoon wasting away watching it.

I also like Pawn Stars, every once in a while people bring in Superman collectables, but it's mostly the history they go though on items that may have been from WWII or Medieval times.

I think a majority of sitcoms are bad. I don't see why people sit and laugh and all that cheesy humor. I guess it's from when I was a kid I would watch sitcoms so the type of humor they use seems lame or something.

A friend of mine said I had to watch this show, it was the Big Bang Theory, because there was someone on the show I would want to see. It was the episode with Summer Glau on a train. Although I found the show charming, I didn't become a fan. I was into the Sara Conner Chronicles at the time so I guess he though seeing Summer would make me like the show or something. Which brings me to my next point.

The shows that I do like have a story line that plays through out a whole season. I HATE NCIS, Psyche, CSI and those shows where one episode has little to do with the next. The stories aren't deep, not involving, and not connected to one another.

Dexter is a great show. If you haven’t' seen it, it's about a crime lab guy named Dexter Morgan. He's a blood splatter analysis and from time to time there are criminals that get away or are not caught due to lack of evidence or loop hole in the legal system so Dexter murders them. He's also a serial killer, he is addicted to blood and chopping people into pieces and wrapping up their individual body parts. So he takes his addiction out on other murders. Season 4 is probably the best yet, with John Lithgow.

The Walking Dead, the IT show right now. It takes some liberties and goes a different path than the comic, but then there are familiar elements from the comic. It IS a survival drama with some zombies in it (especially in season two) instead of a zombie show with some drama in it. And I think that's why it works, the characters and their relationships.

baalroo
Well, I can't stand The Big Bang Theory, IMO its just the standard King of Queens/Everybody Loves Raymond/Friends style sitcom tripe with "nerd" references thrown in.

I think my current favorite show is probably Bored to Death, but some other currently running shows I also enjoy include Archer, Louie, Game of Thrones (I wasn't sold after the first two episodes either), Leverage, Parks and Recreation, Walking Dead, and American Horror Story.

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

...Man vs Wild...

...The Walking Dead...

Are you familiar with Survivorman? This is the original "Man vs. Wild" and starred Les Stroud. I really don't like Bear Grylls. Stroud was actually alone on all his adventures.

Yeah, The Walking Dead is decent. I haven't seen any of season two yet but I'm looking forward to it.
_____

baalroo

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

...Man vs Wild...

...The Walking Dead...

Are you familiar with Survivorman? This is the original "Man vs. Wild" and starred Les Stroud. I really don't like Bear Grylls. Stroud was actually alone on all his adventures.

Yeah, The Walking Dead is decent. I haven't seen any of season two yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, survivorman was way cooler than man vs. wild

http://youtu.be/3...

http://youtu.be/d...

Completely unrelated, I actually really enjoy the show Supernatural. The writing is actually pretty clever and self-aware once you get past the first season or so.

AKalel
Now there was more then one Justice League kinda episode if you want to see a real funny Big Bang catch the episode with Will Weaton and a bowling match. Thats all I will say.

A6K

>baalroo wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

...Man vs Wild...

...The Walking Dead...

Yeah, survivorman was way cooler than man vs. wild

http://youtu.be/3...

http://youtu.be/d...

Survivorman is way cooler?
Ok there's the infamous "clip" but last time I checked half of a Survivorman episodes are him building a shelter, then he goes "I'm going to get food,” them time laps and he has food.

It's like saying "The Notebook" is better than "The Dark Knight" they are way too different, yeah they are both movies but one is action and one is drama.

Man vs Wild is action, Survivorman is drama. Yeah ok, Bear got to the road too early and someone suggested they film something to get enough footage for the episode. So Bear pulls the walk across the lava bridge (or whatever that was in the clip) and someone caught it, big deal. Incase you forgot it is TV.

Bear is jumping out of planes, repelling off cliffs, going though freezing water and shimmying across a canyon on a rope is why there is another person with him. He is doing dangerous stuff and could die if one is there. I would want someone there too if I was going that stuff.

Survivorman, yeah he's alone but all he does is set up camp and mope. Why does he need someone there, it's boring. That's why it's canceled.

Man vs Wild? I do believe the less cool Bear Grylls is on is 6th Season and still going.

Why did I go on a rant? Because Bear is former SAS, I respect the man for achieving something I haven’t yet. So if you can't respect him for his show, don't fall off the hater bandwagon and respect him for serving his country at an elite level.

Hypoxic
I think you made that a little too personal, A6K.

Just to point out, Stroud himself stopped doing Survivorman. It wasn't cancelled. Stroud has done work on a few wilderness shows.

The reason I prefer Stroud over Grylls is because he's more the naturalist. Stroud is David Attenborough to Grylls's Crocodile Hunter. Entertainment is subjective, and I never found the Crocodile Hunter entertaining.

Going into the northern wilds of Canada alone with few tools isn't dangerous? I'm uncertain, but I would wager a guess that statistically it's more dangerous than jumping from a plane.
_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

I think you made that a little too personal, A6K.

Just to point out, Stroud himself stopped doing Survivorman. It wasn't cancelled. Stroud has done work on a few wilderness shows.

The reason I prefer Stroud over Grylls is because he's more the naturalist. Stroud is David Attenborough to Grylls's Crocodile Hunter. Entertainment is subjective, and I never found the Crocodile Hunter entertaining.

Going into the northern wilds of Canada alone with few tools isn't dangerous? I'm uncertain, but I would wager a guess that statistically it's more dangerous than jumping from a plane.

Unless your jumping into something far worse than the wilds of Canada, like a war zone. There's a lot of dangerous wildlife, natural terrain and weather in Canada to claim the lives of most normal people. But jump into Canada and well...

That being said I may have taken it too personally but I'm sick and tired of that old argument and that old clip. Especially when statistically Grylls's actions are more dangerous than Stroud's.

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled to get a survival course from Stroud, he's one of the best at it. But sometimes you have to be a go getter and take chances.

Who would I want a class from Les Stroud, Who would I want to watch Bear Grylls. Who would I act like in a survival situation? Bear Grylls. This time next year I'll know after SERE school.

If naturalist ways are your thing you should check out Dual Survival with Cody Lundin. Cody makes Les look like a city boy he's so natural. Cody hasn't worn shoes in 20 years. The show also has Dave Canterbury, who is more like Bear Grylls. Dave is an old Army vet and Cody is a naturalist. It's fun to see the two butt heads.

Bear and Les on a show together? NOW THAT would be entrainment.

UltraWoman
For myself the only shows I'm watching right now are...

"Once Upon a Time"

"Castle"

"Book of Thrones" (via DVD)

"Work of Art" (It's basically a "top Chef" for artists)

and

"Grimm"

My husband and I catch other shows a we're flipping through but non regularly enough to mention.

Supereyes
After I saw The Avengers, I had my doubts about it, but it still made me go, "wow! awesome! nothing is better than this! all the superheroes together!" but then, I tuned in for the "Castle" season 4 finale, and I was like, "Wow, this is BETTER than The Avengers!"

Beckett and Castle finally kissed. It was amazing. It was magical. A shame how Smallville did
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

Roger
Any Doctor Who fans here?
It seems like an eternity since last season/series. Sad
- Roger "THE Doctor"
"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
- Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks)
www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com - horror host videos.

a young tony curtis

>Roger wrote:

Any Doctor Who fans here?
It seems like an eternity since last season/series. Sad

It does feel like ages now you mention it Roger,maybe it's a time thingWink

http://www.dailym...s-yet.html

So Amy is going at Christmas,and Rory,who I never liked anyway,awful casting he was,and the Amy Pond character would have never been attracted to him at all.sorry,Rory rant over.

And we get new companion Clara,played by Jenna Louise Coleman.

http://www.krypto...ge-of.html

http://kryptonrad...ry-top.jpg

Grin

Roger

>a young tony curtis wrote:

It does feel like ages now you mention it Roger,maybe it's a time thingWink

http://www.dailym...s-yet.html

So Amy is going at Christmas,and Rory,who I never liked anyway,awful casting he was,and the Amy Pond character would have never been attracted to him at all.sorry,Rory rant over.

And we get new companion Clara,played by Jenna Louise Coleman.

http://www.krypto...ge-of.html

http://kryptonrad...ry-top.jpg

Grin

I'm glad they gave the two a departure story but I'm also glad they are getting a new companion.
It's always good for Doctor Who to change things up.
I really like Matt Smith and hope he stays on for a while. He brings a great quirkiness that reminds me a lot of the 'classic' Doctors.
- Roger "THE Doctor"
"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
- Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks)
www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com - horror host videos.

Crazy-El
Action, action, action. Reality tv. August 13th will be broadcasted "Stars Earn Stripes". With Dean Cain among the actors. If you like of course. Pfft Smile

http://www.youtub...E-YGeCvdPE

JR1989
Hey, did anyone watch the Doctor Who Christmas special (The Snowmen)
I really liked it, can't wait to find out why Clara keeps getting reborn when she dies
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

Jump to Forum: