Print Thread
To Comic Book Shop Customers
AKalel
Okay I know some here live in areas that do not have comic book shops and some of you wait for stories to be collected in a trade paperback or hardcover. Well this thread/question is not for you this is for people who either purchase new titles on a regular basis, get stuff pulled at a comic book shop or something else. Now in relation to new titles just started or a title you may of just started collecting/reading how many issues do you give a title before you decide if you are going to continue to read/collect it. I think some of us can admit even with characters we enjoy that it is rare for every story to be a home run issue after issue.

Edited by AKalel on 04/01/2012 05:21

Bizzar-o
For me, I'd say 5 is a good number.

Whilst obviously not giving us the whole of a particular story arc, I think 5 is enough to discover if you like it or not.

This may differ if you've been up & down with it & have had issues within those 5 that you've liked AND disliked.

I may even break my own record though if the next issue of Action Comics turns out to be the same level of garbage as the first 2 I will definitely be stopping at 3!
Gosh Mr White that's terrible!

baalroo
Generally speaking, I'll give a series 2 issues before I drop it. Sometimes a story will just have a bad issue, or what you're reading just doesn't make sense until later, etc. So I'll give a single issue that I don't enjoy a pass, but if you disappoint me with 2 in a row then I just assume it isn't for me and move on.

The opposite is true for me as well, unless it's something I'm just absolutely certain I want to buy (Morrison's Action Comics or Bendis's ultimate Spider-Man both come to mind) and I'm convinced I'll enjoy ahead of time I won't buy into a new series until I've read a few issues to make sure it's worth my time. IOW, if I'm not completely sold on something straight out of the box, then I will try it out first by pirating before I decide to buy. Most of the things on my pull list are comics I never would have read if it wasn't for torrenting CBRs.

ClarkNice

>Bizzar-o wrote:

For me, I'd say 5 is a good number.

Whilst obviously not giving us the whole of a particular story arc, I think 5 is enough to discover if you like it or not.

This may differ if you've been up & down with it & have had issues within those 5 that you've liked AND disliked.

I may even break my own record though if the next issue of Action Comics turns out to be the same level of garbage as the first 2 I will definitely be stopping at 3!

What is your verdict on the new Action Comics?

A6K
For me comics are mostly digital. Nothing to store, leave sitting around, or try to get rid of later. Just delete it and I can always download it again if I want later. I support digital comics so I never use illegal downloads for anything. Music or anything else, because I want to business to thrive.

Another reason is you can't really get a comic and it goes up in value anymore so what's the point? In the past people never knew comics, cards and what have you would be valuable so they threw them out, cut them up and put them on their wall, or something else. So those few that survived became valuable. Now everyone holds on to everything in hopes "I'll have something valuable here."

My Superman 75 first print is worth squat, Shaq rookie card worth squat, Spawn 1 worth squat, Eli Manning rookie card worth squat. Everyone has one so I don't want to accumulate a bunch of worthless paper anymore. Save the planet buy digital.

Now I have a one year subscription to JL, Action Comics and Superman because I think a complete set of unopened comics could have value. And just want to own hard copies of that first year.

I haven't collected/read comics in years. Digital comics has revived my interest and desire to read because I don't care to collect anymore. I did buy a few hard cover collections before I got a tab to download digital. Give credit to Superman Earth One for that.

Now that I'm off my soap box.....

I'll give a series about 3 issues to impress or interest me after that if I don't like it I axe it. Another reason I like digital, if I read 3 issues of an older series I can complete a series or story arc without searching shop to shop or website to website.

I'm fickle in the aspect that even if a story is good if I don't care about the character I won't read it most of the time. DC's big 3 (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) in that order it what I'll check out most of the time. That's not the only thing I'll read but what I'll go to first. Fortunately they all have interesting storylines right now IMO.
Everything else needs to be good or I'm done in 2 or 3 reads.

Jump to Forum: