Print Thread
New 52 - Action Comics (SPOILERS)
Zaniah

>NeoRanger wrote:


I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Kents are dead. Hey, as long as they're both six feet under, I'm game. It works better in this context, anyway.


BY MY BLACK HAND,
THE DEAD...
 
Hypoxic

>NeoRanger wrote:


I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Kents are dead. Hey, as long as they're both six feet under, I'm game. It works better in this context, anyway.


I agree that it's better, but we all know that dead isn't really dead in comic books. I hope they don't go that route in the future.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
Lightoffon

>Hypoxic wrote:


>NeoRanger wrote:


I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Kents are dead. Hey, as long as they're both six feet under, I'm game. It works better in this context, anyway.


I agree that it's better, but we all know that dead isn't really dead in comic books. I hope they don't go that route in the future.


Why is it better that the Kents are dead?

Personally, I've always liked the contrast between Batman and Superman. Batman was driven by the tragic death of his parents and represented darkness and fear. Superman, on the other hand, was driven by his parents to do good, and represented light and hope. This Superman does seem to be more of a vigilante, like Batman, than a hero.

Regardless, I do find this Superman interesting and it seems like they are just taking a different approach to how he becomes a hero.
 
Hypoxic

>Lightoffon wrote:


>Hypoxic wrote:


>NeoRanger wrote:


I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Kents are dead. Hey, as long as they're both six feet under, I'm game. It works better in this context, anyway.


I agree that it's better, but we all know that dead isn't really dead in comic books. I hope they don't go that route in the future.


Why is it better that the Kents are dead?

Personally, I've always liked the contrast between Batman and Superman. Batman was driven by the tragic death of his parents and represented darkness and fear. Superman, on the other hand, was driven by his parents to do good, and represented light and hope. This Superman does seem to be more of a vigilante, like Batman, than a hero.

Regardless, I do find this Superman interesting and it seems like they are just taking a different approach to how he becomes a hero.


Many incarnations of the mythos have the Kents dead, including the original one. It creates a greater sense of pathos and underlines a finer character development. Clark's a big boy. It isn't inherently better for the character to swoop home for advice and apple pie.

The contrast between Supes and Bats is a modern idea. The Kents were dead in continuity before Kane and Finger created Batman.

Superman has always been a vigilante. Most superheroes are. Supes takes the law into his own hands and does with crooks what official enforcement cannot or will not.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
Lightoffon

>Hypoxic wrote:


>Lightoffon wrote:


Why is it better that the Kents are dead?

Personally, I've always liked the contrast between Batman and Superman. Batman was driven by the tragic death of his parents and represented darkness and fear. Superman, on the other hand, was driven by his parents to do good, and represented light and hope. This Superman does seem to be more of a vigilante, like Batman, than a hero.

Regardless, I do find this Superman interesting and it seems like they are just taking a different approach to how he becomes a hero.


Many incarnations of the mythos have the Kents dead, including the original one. It creates a greater sense of pathos and underlines a finer character development. Clark's a big boy. It isn't inherently better for the character to swoop home for advice and apple pie.

The contrast between Supes and Bats is a modern idea. The Kents were dead in continuity before Kane and Finger created Batman.

Superman has always been a vigilante. Most superheroes are. Supes takes the law into his own hands and does with crooks what official enforcement cannot or will not.


It isn't inherently better for the character to have lost his parents either. I'm not going to say that they should be alive because they were previously. It's just my opinion that he doesn't need their death to push him into being Superman. And, anyway, he already lost his whole planet.

Yes, he's always been a vigilante, but there's a difference between wanting to help people and wanting to go beat up the bad guys.
 
LovelyLanaLang
Got the second issue. better than the first. I love the torture scene. Very well written.

I wish it wasn't 3.99.
[img]http://1979semifinalist.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/supergirl36.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
 
Hypoxic

>Lightoffon wrote:


>Hypoxic wrote:


>Lightoffon wrote:


Why is it better that the Kents are dead?

Personally, I've always liked the contrast between Batman and Superman. Batman was driven by the tragic death of his parents and represented darkness and fear. Superman, on the other hand, was driven by his parents to do good, and represented light and hope. This Superman does seem to be more of a vigilante, like Batman, than a hero.

Regardless, I do find this Superman interesting and it seems like they are just taking a different approach to how he becomes a hero.


Many incarnations of the mythos have the Kents dead, including the original one. It creates a greater sense of pathos and underlines a finer character development. Clark's a big boy. It isn't inherently better for the character to swoop home for advice and apple pie.

The contrast between Supes and Bats is a modern idea. The Kents were dead in continuity before Kane and Finger created Batman.

Superman has always been a vigilante. Most superheroes are. Supes takes the law into his own hands and does with crooks what official enforcement cannot or will not.


It isn't inherently better for the character to have lost his parents either.


I beg to differ, in my argument supporting pathos.

Lightoffon wrote: And, anyway, he already lost his whole planet.


That's irrelevant to the character and the characterization right now. Furthermore, it's not entirely true.

Lightoffon wrote: Yes, he's always been a vigilante, but there's a difference between wanting to help people and wanting to go beat up the bad guys.


Have we ever had a Superman that didn't do both?
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
NeoRanger
I personally believe both situations (Kents dead or alive) can bring an interesting dynamic to the character. I honestly don't favor one over the other by default. The only one that irks me is when they kill off Pa, just 'cause (I'm looking at YOU, Johns).

The Kents dead works better in this context, because of the Superman we have established right now. It doesn't mean he's a better or a worse Superman than others before him, it only means I can't see the young Superman of AC #1 dropping by for pie with his parents on Sundays.
 
Lightoffon

>Hypoxic wrote:


>Lightoffon wrote:


It isn't inherently better for the character to have lost his parents either.


I beg to differ, in my argument supporting pathos.


According to that, every superhero should have lost their parents. I'm not saying it doesn't add to the character development, I'm just saying it's one way to go, and I personally like it the other way.

>Hypoxic wrote:


>Lightoffon wrote:

And, anyway, he already lost his whole planet.


That's irrelevant to the character and the characterization right now. Furthermore, it's not entirely true.


Good point, but it's going to come into play at some point. Eventually, he's going to learn his entire home world (or most of it) was destroyed, which will also give you a sympathetic connection to his character.

>Hypoxic wrote:


>Lightoffon wrote:


Yes, he's always been a vigilante, but there's a difference between wanting to help people and wanting to go beat up the bad guys.


Have we ever had a Superman that didn't do both?

Yes, but I've always felt that he would use violence as a last resort. Maybe it didn't always seem that way because he was constantly fighting, but that was the overall tone of his character.

Edited by Lightoffon on 16/10/2011 16:07

 
Lightoffon

>NeoRanger wrote:


I personally believe both situations (Kents dead or alive) can bring an interesting dynamic to the character. I honestly don't favor one over the other by default. The only one that irks me is when they kill off Pa, just 'cause (I'm looking at YOU, Johns).

The Kents dead works better in this context, because of the Superman we have established right now. It doesn't mean he's a better or a worse Superman than others before him, it only means I can't see the young Superman of AC #1 dropping by for pie with his parents on Sundays.


I agree, it can work both ways. I just prefer the situation where his parents are alive. But, you're right, it wouldn't work well with this Superman.
 
Hypoxic

>Lightoffon wrote:


>Hypoxic wrote:


>Lightoffon wrote:


It isn't inherently better for the character to have lost his parents either.


I beg to differ, in my argument supporting pathos.


According to that, every superhero should have lost their parents.


A lot of them have, or at least one parent or some parent figure. In no way does that mean that it is a mandatory element of superhero development, rather it's an effective way to establish aforementioned pathos and sympathy for the character.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
supesfan1954
So what did you think of Action #3? I am really enjoying this book so far. I was told they are to be caught up time wise with the Superman book in issue #6. I loved the art work in #3.
 
Hypoxic
Action #3 was great. It was somewhat of an anti-thesis to #2. Where #2's panels were exploding with action, #3 jolts along with a little more character, setting up a few cliffhangers. My arms are exhausted!

The best part of this issue is the incredibly fresh take on Metallo. It's brilliant.

Seeing Krypton was top notch stuff, as well. The issue does well to show why it's better the Kents are dead. "Ma. Pa. I'm so sorry. I tried." No yummy apple pie to give Clark a false sense of security here, and that's the way it should be.

It's a swifter moving panel-to-panel issue with a lot going on, enough to cause one to have to glance back at a few panels before reading onward, but it's still outstanding.

4 out of 5
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
The Last Kryptonian
I love this book. But I was just wondering does anyone know how old Clark's Suppose to be in "Action Comics"?
 
Sven-El

>Lightoffon wrote:


>Hypoxic wrote:


>NeoRanger wrote:


I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Kents are dead. Hey, as long as they're both six feet under, I'm game. It works better in this context, anyway.


I agree that it's better, but we all know that dead isn't really dead in comic books. I hope they don't go that route in the future.


Why is it better that the Kents are dead?

Personally, I've always liked the contrast between Batman and Superman. Batman was driven by the tragic death of his parents and represented darkness and fear. Superman, on the other hand, was driven by his parents to do good, and represented light and hope. This Superman does seem to be more of a vigilante, like Batman, than a hero.

Regardless, I do find this Superman interesting and it seems like they are just taking a different approach to how he becomes a hero.



I also prefer some contrast in Superman and Batman, at least beyond Superman having incredible powers and Batman having lots of training, smarts and high-tech toys.

Now that it's said, just because Jonathan and Martha are dead, it does not automatically mean he is not motivated by the example of his parents to do good or represent light and hope .We ceratinly see in number 3 that he visits their grave and says "ma, pa, I'm sorry. I tried." This was something I was worried about with the relaunch, namely that the roll of the Kents and Superman's moral code would be dropped like his trunks. However, this is not the case.

Remember, based on what Morrison has said in interviews their deaths have been fairly recent. Even if not, I think we can all agree when it came to superhero parents, Clark still probably had the best. Nothing, not even death can stop the roll they played. I know when my parents die, not only would I always miss the,. but the lessons, morals, and values hey taught me would reamin. My grandma is in her late 70's and she still misses her mother.

AS long as Clark's motive isn't basically the classic "Bruce Wayne candelight vigil, swearing to avenge his parents deaths", the difference between Superman and Batman will still exist. Superman is never, not even in the Siegel Schuster day's motivated by Revenge. Lets remember Dick Grayson lost his folks too, but he is still a much more optomistic and hopeful person then Bruce.

Any rate, I've been reading Action and I enjoy it far more then Superman. Say what you will about Morrison, he knows how to not only write Superman, but write him well.
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE
 
King Creole
I realy enjoyed this issue. It was little light on the action side, but that is ok, since we got see some of Krypton, and some character development, which is always good.
The story is heading towards a great climax.

I think Clark Kent must be something like 23-25 of age Action Comics. I deduce that 'cause Jimmy Olsen, who is usually a few years younger than CK, is already a full-time photographer.

Overall, I still like this more than George Pťrez's Superman.
You are here for a reason.
 
Sven-El
Which is strange, becasue I know that Perez is kind of a legend when it comes to Superman. I know my comic history, and I know if you see an image of SUperman anywhere on licesned media like T-shirts and shuch it's usually a Perez or a Jorge Garcia Lopez. Kind of like Batman is usually a Neal Adams, Spider-Man is usually a John Romita, Sr., or a Todd McFarlan, and Captain America will usually be a Jack Kirby-style. Then again look at Frank Miller's " The Dark Knight Strikes Again ( or better yet, don't. ) A Legend cannot always make a great new comic book.
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE
 
A6K
#3 was good but the weakest issue IMO.

It felt rushed, like they were afraid to spend time one character developement and wanted to set up the next
issue. Kind of like JLA 1.

I don't like how the people who turned on Superman looked like poor rednecks. WTF is that about?

"I'm just a dumb ole hillbilly I'll believe anything the the picture box tells meh."

Whatever

Now we got a look for Matello, NOT LIKING IT. Looks like a bad Saturday morning cartoon. Anyone seen Robocop 2? Remember the badguy? That's more what Matello should be, espically if its a military design. Not a human head on a wirey Lex Luthor power suit.

Not bad 2.5
 
Sven-El
Lets not forget that every comic this month is getting cut short to feature four preview pages of Batman: Noel. And the comic is 3.99...seriously, DC, drop the pointless preview pages, and spend time on the story.

I see where you are coming from on that one. But perhaps it's meant to be a reminder to him of where he came from. Clark is a middle-class, Midwestern American, or at least he is raised as one. However I would never define Jonathan and Martha Kent as rednecks in any interpretation of the character.

That would be an awesome look for Metallo. Granted I was always more partial to the Terminator look of the Byrne era, mainly as it was also featured in Superman: TAS.
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE
 
Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:


Now we got a look for Matello, NOT LIKING IT. Looks like a bad Saturday morning cartoon. Anyone seen Robocop 2? Remember the badguy? That's more what Matello should be, espically if its a military design. Not a human head on a wirey Lex Luthor power suit.


Well, it's important to remember that Corben isn't Metallo quite yet. I'm loving this Metallo origin story though. Morrison has managed to take a classic villain and inject his origin with a fresh new element: Brainiac. And that is awesome.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
Jump to Forum: