Print Thread
New 52 - Action Comics (SPOILERS)
Heat Vision

>Zaniah wrote:

Another great story that leaves me excited for the direction of Action Comics. It was really nice for once to get a very straightforward story, even though we know how some of what is happening gets resolved. I think this one had it all though, from Clark and his relationship building with Lois and Jimmy to more gaps being filled in with references like the blake farm ghost as well as the reminder that this is a Grant Morrison story with the creepy guy from AC 1 and 6 showing up at the end. We also have a new bad guy showing up part way through, who is that?

A couple of random thoughts:

Does anyone else think the Taxi Driver is Grant Morrison?

Anyone else love the red t?

When do we see the micro tesseract bullet shot into Clark?

What did Batman mean when he said "One of these days, we'll ALL have to go after Him"

Minor Justice League 5 Spoiler in this next item:

It's great that both Superman and Batman figured out who the other was, that was pretty subtle. I don't think that S-Man knew about Batman's revelation to GL from Justice League 5ish.

Art was solid, especially since Rags didn't get another 2 months off before drawing this one.

For me this one is

5 out of 5.

I was intrigued by Batman's phrase too. I wonder if he meant they would need His help against a big threat or that Supes himself could be a threat someday, and it would take all them to stop him.

Adekis
I certainly thought it meant Batman thought Superman was a potential threat. Personally, I love the idea that Superman would want to involve himself in social issues the world over, and with the exception of Wonder Woman I can see where the rest would want to stay away from that kind of thing.

Superman's response to the Justice League about calling him if there's an alien invasion is especially fitting, I think. He's disappointed, but of course he's still willing to help in case of emergencies.

Batman thinks Superman could abuse his power rather easily and he thinks Superman is very likely to do just that, because Batman doesn't really trust anyone but himself, Alfred, Robin and to a certain extent Jim Gordan. It'll take time for him to build up trust for Superman if he does at all in this continuity.

But it sure seems to me like Batman was saying "If Superman ever oversteps his bounds, it'll take the whole Justice League to have any CHANCE to take him down."

Course, Batman doesn't know about StormWatch, but that's beside the point.

Hypoxic
I don't think that was Batman's intention. It wouldn't make sense in the context. It's like when someone is upset and walks away causing someone else to say 'You should go after him', as in 'Go talk to him'. I take it to mean that Batman and the others know Superman is right but they don't have the onions to follow through.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

IFightForTomorrow
I don't know. It's not really in New 52 Batman's character to openly speak about his concern for someone else, nor has it really ever been in Bruce's character to openly admit that he was wrong about anything. It really doesn't fit, that line. I felt weird about it when I read it, I felt weird about it the more I thought about it. I feel weird about it now. Based on Justice League, Superman must do something to change his mind between here and there. Maybe asking for his help with his little secret ID problem is the first step in that.

maximara

>Adekis wrote:

I certainly thought it meant Batman thought Superman was a potential threat. Personally, I love the idea that Superman would want to involve himself in social issues the world over, and with the exception of Wonder Woman I can see where the rest would want to stay away from that kind of thing.

Superman's response to the Justice League about calling him if there's an alien invasion is especially fitting, I think. He's disappointed, but of course he's still willing to help in case of emergencies.

Batman thinks Superman could abuse his power rather easily and he thinks Superman is very likely to do just that, because Batman doesn't really trust anyone but himself, Alfred, Robin and to a certain extent Jim Gordan. It'll take time for him to build up trust for Superman if he does at all in this continuity.

But it sure seems to me like Batman was saying "If Superman ever oversteps his bounds, it'll take the whole Justice League to have any CHANCE to take him down."

Course, Batman doesn't know about StormWatch, but that's beside the point.

The problem here is Batman and Green Lantern didn't have the clean reboot Superman and the rest had. So you have the 52 version of the Post-Crisis headache: what stories are still in continuity and more importantly how are they still in continuity?

We certainly know Blackest Night happened but not in the manner recounted in the comics (No JSA, Earth-2 Superman, and you get the idea) But where does Tower of Babel sit in all this? It is like DC didn't learn a blessed thing from the Post-Crisis fiasco and is going full steam ahead at repeating that mess.

Hypoxic
Action #0 was crackin'! I really enjoyed it. I've been liking Morrison's run all around but #0 is among my favourites.
_____

NeoRanger
I loved it too. Loved everything about it, the set-up, the character writing, the cute story idea, the art and especially the colouring. That page with the masked thugs shooting at Superman is so '40s, it's great.

bobbybob
I absolutely LOVED the 0 issue of Action Comics! Something memorable on every page. The story flowed and the art was just outstanding and was perfect for the story.

I really can't praise this issue enough. I am fighting the urge to just ramble on & on about each page and almost every panel and word spoken but I will resist and simply say that I really loved it and would recommend this issue to anyone and everyone.

5 out of 5

UltraWoman
You know, this was the story I was waiting to see from Action and it definitely didn't disappoint. The professional interest in their respective works which translates to slightly more than professional interest on Clark's side (but not much more than "slightly more".) The early sighting by Lois and Jim/Jimmy. Lois's enjoyment of Clark's blog (which BTW, I'm translating in my mind to one of the sides in lieu of anything more than a story with Superman.) All of the others I had a hard time enjoying and mostly could not. This one? This one earned my money.

Khadija
This book is tied with Justice League as my favorite Superman book in the New 52, but I am not too hot on Rags Morales or Grant Morrison. The former is an alright artist, but I don't like his Superman's face. Or his Clark. I mean, Clark should look exactly like Superman in his face. All the hair mussing and clothes in the world won't change that. He doesn't make Superman's hair thick or stiff enough, and he doesn't make Clark handsome enough. I am, however, just fine with his 'lighter' Superman as it's pretty much cross-crisis canon that Superman was a much lighter guy in his youth and he only became a body-building giant in his adult life.

As far as Grant Morrison goes, I just don't like the esoteric stuff he does sometimes. It's weird in a superhero book at all, but just funky in Superman. Every comic does not have to be Watchmen, eh?
"As a hero among heroes trudges out, crushing the doomsday trigger almost as an after-thought he leaves behind three awed humans who know not whether to kneel or simply cry in his presence. For this they know! They are in the presence of greatness!" - Superman #274

The Last Kryptonian
Action Comics # 0 was great. I wish DC would make a t-shirt and jeans Superman action figure.

Hypoxic
Well, Action #13 is perhaps my favourite single issue of a superhero comic this year. I loved it, through and through.
_____

Sven-El
I don't know why, I think because this is a literal pet the dog moment, I think it did more to humanize the New 52 Superman then anything else.
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE

Hypoxic
So, Diggle and Daniel are the new creative team in a few months. Personally, I'm excited.

Thoughts?
_____

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

Well, Action #13 is perhaps my favourite single issue of a superhero comic this year. I loved it, through and through.

I might share those sentiments, it was really well done. As always, I love GM's callbacks to his previous writings - with the Space Shuttle in the fortress and all of that. I've haven't kept pace with the other superbooks, so maybe the Ice Fortress isn't new to anyone else but I'm glad to see him back there for the first time.

I also went back and captured all of the capital letters in the story telling hoping there would be some secret message but I wasn't able to put it together in any meaningful way.

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

So, Diggle and Daniel are the new creative team in a few months. Personally, I'm excited.

Thoughts?

I don't know Diggle at all, but I've liked what I saw in Detective Comics from Daniel. I'm excited, and I hope that this team can put together a tight story arc without shooting off here and there. I think I"m the only person who likes what they did with Action 5 and 6 because they didn't just tell the origin, they were strategically placing plot devices in as well in a way that most people wouldn't do....but I can only take so much of that. Rags only being able to do 3 issues at a time is finally getting to me. I love his art, but it is that kind of pace problem that GM cited as a possible reason he is getting out of Monthly's.

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

I can't say if it's my favorite single issue but I defiantly enjoyed it. Although I wish the villain didn't make such an abrupt departure. I thought he was pretty interesting.

If there was a way to reintroduce Krypto in a manner that makes sense, that was a good way to do it.

copacetic
Action Comics Annual was good - I may have to re-read it but it didn't make as big an impact as people said it would, with Max Landis writing. The intro of K-Man was done well but the fight was kind of over before it began. But a good intro of a villain, for sure.

I REALLY dug the little backup story at the end of the issue. Was that supposed to be Parasite? Or am I missing something here? I'm always a huge fan of comics that tell a story as visually as possible, with little to no dialogue. When done well, they can be very entertaining.

Hypoxic

>copacetic wrote:

Action Comics Annual was good - I may have to re-read it but it didn't make as big an impact as people said it would, with Max Landis writing. The intro of K-Man was done well but the fight was kind of over before it began. But a good intro of a villain, for sure.

I REALLY dug the little backup story at the end of the issue. Was that supposed to be Parasite? Or am I missing something here? I'm always a huge fan of comics that tell a story as visually as possible, with little to no dialogue. When done well, they can be very entertaining.

Yeah, it was pretty good. It was entertaining enough, particularly considering K-Man is actually the guy Supes tossed into Hobb's Bay.

That was Atomic Skull in Landis's story.
_____

A6K
I enjoyed the Annual as well.

It was a little cheesy but it was a good cheesy. I couldn't quite place what seemed familiar about the art. I think it was the Walking Dead comic.

As for the Atomic Skull I hope they can expand on the character more than they have in the past (or more than I have noticed anyways) and give him a little bit of a larger role. I think that's one of the appeals of the new universe, waiting to see who pops up and how they are changed or explained.

Good job on K-Man, as far as background story line goes, the name is still cheesy but what can you do about that.

And they need to do some appearance and role tweaking with Steel. He looks goofy (IMO) and I like the idea of him being more of a technical/scientific expert. Although I think that an alien with access to Kryptionian technology and knowledge that conducts his own experiments in quantum physics, robotics and inter-demential travel needing technical/scientific expert is both ironic and silly.

Edited by A6K on 07/11/2012 13:43

Jump to Forum: