Print Thread
New 52 - Action Comics (SPOILERS)
Hypoxic
I thoroughly enjoyed issue #8. My only real complaint is the use of Kryptonian. It made sense when Clark didn't understand the language, but he appears to be able to speak it at the end. Unless I misunderstood: was that suppose to Earth 23 Superman? In any regard, I hate it when Kryptonian is used without translation or when it requires a translation key. The Supergirl arc in Superman/Batman did that. It's ridiculous and smacks of pretention.

Rags had some rough patches here, though. Man oh man, are some of the drawings harsh. I'd love to see Frank Quitely on the title.

This was an outstanding first arc. I do believe I'll be getting the trade. I'd say 3.5 out of 5 for this issue and a solid 4.5 out of 5 for the arc.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

lemarjones
My friend made me read the book and I was interested since it was the end of the arc. I came to a very disturbing conclusion that should make the folks who like the Superman written by folks who hate Superman extremely happy:

THE SUIT ALLOWS HIM TO FLY!!!!

Without the suit he's leaping off parked trucks and skipping off satellites. Now with the suit, meer hours later, HE CAN FLY!

So the suit makes him invulnerable and gives him the ability to fly. I was joking the other day when I said we had Captain Marvel, Jr in Iron Man's suit minus the tech toys, but I guess I was right.

I hope you all still like and enjoy the Superman of DC Comics THE NEW 52. For me, I just witnessed the end of an era.
- Baldy Award Winner

Hypoxic
We didn't need your double scream of displeasure. Choose which one you want deleted: the above post or the thread you started about the same thing. Which ever you wish to use to make your point is fine, but you only need one.
_____

IFightForTomorrow
There is another possible solution than "The suit makes him fly."

Several people have said they felt he could fly all along and just didn't know how to control it, so it manifested in mighty leaps instead. After his epic leap into space in #7, maybe he just figured it out. Simple and just as likely as the suit causing his flight given what very little we know for sure.

And we get it already. There is not a single iota of New 52 Superman that you like; he is anathema and quite surely a sign of the endtimes. I'm sure.

lemarjones
There are several possible solutions. But I have yet to see a Kryptonian, Kal or Kara, fly without a costume.

I didn't say there was not a single iota of the New 52 Superman that I liked. However I did state that I have witnessed the end of an era and that I hope that those who like and enjoy it still do.

Chosing to call him anathema and a sign of the endtimes are YOUR ideas and words, not mine. However, I'm still no less disturbed.
- Baldy Award Winner

lemarjones
I haven't seen Supergirl #4 (nor will I ever). So I'll stand by my statement that I have yet to see a Kryptonian, Kal or Kara, fly without a costume.

But I guess what you're saying is that I can make assumptions based on what the writers don't expressly present as long as my assumption doesn't fundamentally change how the character is looked as historically?

I'd rather taste my proverbial foot.
- Baldy Award Winner

IFightForTomorrow

>lemarjones wrote:

I haven't seen Supergirl #4 (nor will I ever). So I'll stand by my statement that I have yet to see a Kryptonian, Kal or Kara, fly without a costume.

But I guess what you're saying is that I can make assumptions based on what the writers don't expressly present as long as my assumption doesn't fundamentally change how the character is looked as historically?

I'd rather taste my proverbial foot.

A guilt by association fallacy to support a post hoc fallacy. Outstanding.

I rather think the point is that assumptions cannot be presented as truisms when you lack evidence. Especially ones that are used as a soapbox. It's not our job to prove you wrong. It's your job to support your assertion. If you cannot do so, our argument stands. If you can, then I will happily agree with you. At least on the factual front that his suit supplies him with the capability of flight.

As for the rest, I had dearly hoped that the sort of venom that is splattered all over the comments when a new review or news of any kind for comics that I've come to genuinely enjoy would not trickle down into the boards back here. I suppose that was too much to hope for.

I wonder: is this the last, last straw for you or just yet another excuse to rant and rail?

On a more pertinent subject: who was intrigued by the preview/epilogue at the back of #8? Kind of reminds me of Spidy's Kraven the Hunter. I never in a million years would have thought of pairing that sort of villain with Superman. I'm very eager to see the results.

A6K

>lemarjones wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that it happened.

On to what I think about the issue and arc, I liked it. I have to agree with Hypoxic and say it's a solid 4.5 for the arc. I'd rate this issue at a 4.0.

I like that Superman had to use his brain rather than brawn to defeat Brainiac. It didn't resort to a brawl. The whole suit changing colors and style there at one point was a bit intriguing, was it a reaction to the shrunken city? Seemed like it to me anyways. So I'm still curious as to what exactly this suit is and can do, so far though it seems to be "we will figure it out as we go," by the writers. There wasn't a creative meeting with an overall decision as to what the suit is. So in the future we could see the suit doing things we didn't expect or hasn't done before.

I also wonder if Brainiac and Metello will now be one in the same or connect from this point forward. Also the Land Lady, that is a dynamic I forgot about. One random person knowing Superman and Clark are one in the same. That's a little different, but it does give Clark someone to open up to.

The Lex Luthor and Clark relationship makes me wonder where this will go, which makes me ask, Where has Lex been in the title series? It almost seems like Superman and Action Comics are two different universes. I guess a WHOLE lot changed in 5 years.

By the way Hypoxic it said, "Next:Meet the Superman of parallel Earth 23" so the next Action Comics will have earth 23 Superman.

Hypoxic

>lemarjones wrote:

Oh, good gravy.

>A6K wrote:

By the way Hypoxic it said, "Next:Meet the Superman of parallel Earth 23" so the next Action Comics will have earth 23 Superman.

Yeah, I figured it wasn't Earth 23 Supes, but I'm still wondering how he learned Kryptonian. In time, I suppose, in time.

Edited by Hypoxic on 06/04/2012 18:34

_____

Hypoxic
PLEASE READ

Regarding the discussion on the topic of flight and the suit brought up by lemarjones, please move all discussions on that topic to the thread started by lemarjones in this board.

I considered moving all of our posts to that thread, but since some of the replies are intermingled with other subjects (i.e. thoughts on #8) I would have had to edit individual posts. I simply don't wish to do that.

So, while I don't like when a single topic is discussed in multiple places, it's fine for now. The posts in this thread will eventually get buried as new issues of Action are released, but we can use lemarjones's specific thread continuously to discuss the issue he brought up.

So, if you like, you may repost your thoughts in that other thread.

Thanks.
_____

Anthony Arfuso
I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned the blurted out in Kryptonese dialect from the bottle city of Kandor itslef mentioned surprise existance of yet ANOTHER cousin from the "house of El" itself in the "New 52" continuity who happens to be 'Don-El'.

In the "old" DC continuity (come their Pre-COIE E-1 continuity in particular) Jor-El actually had a twin brother named 'Nim-El' as well as their eldest brother Zor-El. Nim-El was said to have married and inturn his wife had a son named 'Don-El', unfortunately Don-El's parents died on Krypton prior to the birth of Kal-El and Kara in a lab accident yet Don-El mysteriously managed to survive. Along with being the OTHER cousin to Kal-El and Kara Don-El later even participated in helping out his cousin Kal from time to time as the leader of the bottle city of Kandor's own "Superman Squad" along with a few other bottle city of Kandor residents which made up its roll call.

Seems come the "New 52" main DCU continuity Jor-El once again has a twin brother named Nim-El as well as their eldest brother Zor-El and that yet again Don-El has some how survived Krypton's destruction and has been residing in the bottle city of Kandor ever since.

Hypoxic
Man, I really enjoyed issue #9. The Earth 23 Superman is great. I'm giddy with callow anticipation to see how this all connects.

The art was, for the first time on this title, excellent. Not seeing Morales's lumpy characters is music to my...er... eyes? Yeah.

4.5 out of 5
_____

IFightForTomorrow
I loved this issue as well. Had a lot going for it and I hope that Earth 23 gets visited by "our" Superman at some point during the run. I've already read Superdoom is coming back.

Interesting the accusatory glare on the part of Superdoom-dimension Lois Lane coming out of the comic book as she describes Superdoom as having been mutilated into a dark, gritty anti-hero. Almost as if the comic is saying to comics audience at large, "This is what you want? Look what it does to the world." It's made all the more poignant since many nay sayers of the DCnU claim that they've already done this to Superman. As a result, I am very interested in Clark coming face to face with Superdoom (though I still really hate that name...)

I liked that the backup story examined the ramifications and potential pitfalls of the Superman-as-President idea.

Also, "Truth, Justice, Liberty and Equality" is an awesome riff on the classic creedo of the Man of Steel. I might even like it better that the classic.

DCFan9
I enjoyed this issue as well. Superdoom was a very Morrison like idea in a good way. M only gripe is the Superman of this world is the president. So he has the number 1 and 2 spot for most public figure in the world. His hair style can not be changed since he has short hair and his job does not allow for him to change attitude, posture, ect. So how come no one noticed this yet.
You were right all along. I am the villain of the story

Anthony Arfuso
Action Comics #9 left me confused, is E-23 "President Superman" supposed to be good or evil? By Nubia/Wonder Woman's tone upon questioning him about his longterm motives he sounds like he's possibly drunk on power. Anyone else get this vibe? =/

IFightForTomorrow

>Anthony Arfuso wrote:

Action Comics #9 left me confused, is E-23 "President Superman" supposed to be good or evil? By Nubia/Wonder Woman's tone upon questioning him about his longterm motives he sounds like he's possibly drunk on power. Anyone else get this vibe? =/

I think maybe drunk on power is overstating it a bit. He is certainly comfortable with a level of unaccountability that I think would bother Clark Kent (especially DCnU's Social Crusader Clark.)

But Evil? I dunno about evil. He seems like a nice enough guy, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions and I've been wrong before...

A6K
Just finished reading Action Comics #10 and man am I confused. It's set after Justice Leage 1-6 before Superman # 1 and Clark Kent dies? According to my logic that means that it's only temporary?

I don't know, it's like Action Comics is a different universe than the rest of DC.

Anyways it's a really interesting g story to me. Suerman is struggling with his abilities, what he wants to do, and who he needs to be. He's frustrated, young and anxious in this story. So it's a more realistic journey into who he will eventually be IMO.

This whole "Superman's new secret identity" doesn't worry me that much since in the title book he is Clark Kent and it's in the future conpaired to Action Comics' timeline. So I'm anxious to see this story and how it plays out.

Zaniah
Another great story that leaves me excited for the direction of Action Comics. It was really nice for once to get a very straightforward story, even though we know how some of what is happening gets resolved. I think this one had it all though, from Clark and his relationship building with Lois and Jimmy to more gaps being filled in with references like the blake farm ghost as well as the reminder that this is a Grant Morrison story with the creepy guy from AC 1 and 6 showing up at the end. We also have a new bad guy showing up part way through, who is that?

A couple of random thoughts:

Does anyone else think the Taxi Driver is Grant Morrison?

Anyone else love the red t?

When do we see the micro tesseract bullet shot into Clark?

What did Batman mean when he said "One of these days, we'll ALL have to go after Him"

Minor Justice League 5 Spoiler in this next item:

It's great that both Superman and Batman figured out who the other was, that was pretty subtle. I don't think that S-Man knew about Batman's revelation to GL from Justice League 5ish.

Art was solid, especially since Rags didn't get another 2 months off before drawing this one.

For me this one is

5 out of 5.

Hypoxic
Yeah, I think #10 was top shelf. It has the Morrison flavour - an acquired taste, I admit - and leaves plenty to anticipate. Morrison still has ability to put more into 22 pages than some writers can in an entire arc.

Morrison likes jumping around timewise in single issues - and he likes using time, in general (see his first arc in his fun on The Flash) - but he does it in a way that forces the reader to pay attention. I like that Morrison doesn't lead you by the nose. It's great stuff.

4 out of 5
_____

BBally
Not to sound like a douche but I had a feeling the previous reactions to the whole new identity was way out of proportion since you know this story takes 5 years before Superman titles where Clark Kent still exists
No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Jump to Forum: