Print Thread
New 52 - Action Comics (SPOILERS)
NeoRanger
^ It really is. It's great, cover-to-cover. It doesn't have as much traditional action as the first, but 'action' is a far more vague term than most people realize. It's still on the move constantly, with things (even just information and character) happening in almost every panel.

Also, it's Dr. Luthor in this continuity and now that I've seen it, I can't help but wonder why it hasn't always been like that.

Hypoxic
Read it this morning. It truly is outstanding. I think I like it better than #1. The little hints and teases of what's to come next are the stuff of cliffhanger legend. And what an ending! I really didn't expect to see Brainiac.

I still like Morales's art, despite the occasional set of crossed eyes. I adore how he draws this Superman.

Is it November 2nd yet? Grin

4.5 out of 5
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Hypoxic
Here's why I hate IGN. Look at this horrible, typically over-thought review:

http://comics.ign...557p1.html

It's akin to Nazi torture during World War II? Someone actually thinks that?

Oh, jeez.
_____

a_cunning_disguise

>Hypoxic wrote:

Oh, jeez.

This review is madness. Properly bonkers. An entertaingly and endearingly crap review.

AC#2 however, is absolutely, undeniably and completely wonderful.

Bizzar-o

>Hypoxic wrote:

Oh, jeez.

I, on the other hand, think this review is 100% spot on!

Could not agree more with the 'nazi torture' analogy & am also glad to find someone else who thinks that Morales' work is particularly inferior.

This next issue of Action Comics continues the disappointment of the first by being completely rubbish!

1/5
Gosh Mr White that's terrible!

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

Oh, jeez.

I usually read the final paragraph and the overall score and skip the rest when it comes to IGN reviews.

Because it's usually crap like that. I don't know WTF this guy is on.

This is typical "I know what the media tell me but I know jack sh!t about the real thing" way of thinking. I'll be Mr. Poet Mase couldn't tell you the years WW II was fought let alone anything about what actually went on there.

NeoRanger

>Hypoxic wrote:

It's not so much "over-thought", as it is trying too hard to appear 'fancier' and more sophisticated that it could ever be. The Nazi torture techniques parallels are irrelevant, because Morrison was drawing from basic human behavioral patterns, thus rendering the specificity of the comparison moot.

What? I can be pretentious!

I, on the other hand, think this review is 100% spot on

The spot-on review still gave the book a glowing recommendation.

And even if you do agree with the Nazi torture comparison, it was done by the reviewer as a feeble attempt to look for subtext. He didn't bring it up as criticism. What kind of criticism would that be, anyway?

Hypoxic

>Bizzar-o wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

Oh, jeez.

I, on the other hand, think this review is 100% spot on!

Could not agree more with the 'nazi torture' analogy & am also glad to find someone else who thinks that Morales' work is particularly inferior.

This next issue of Action Comics continues the disappointment of the first by being completely rubbish!

1/5

Just to ring in, like NeoRanger pointed out, the review said the book was great. 8 out of 10 is only rubbish on Bizarro World. Wait a tick. Your avatar. Your comments... Ah! I get it now.

Pfft
_____

baalroo
Man, I could care less about what some random dude on a gaming website had to say about it, especially when he comes off as vapid and intellectually incestuous as that fellow (and the ign reviewing crew in general) does.

so, on to my own subjective opinion...

First off, in the first issue, I didn't quite get what it was Morales was trying to do with the art. I liked it fine ,but i just felt like I didn't get it. However, it completely clicked for me by the end of the electric chair scene in #2. In fact, the entire book clicked for me at the moment Supes breaks free and rips the chair out of the ground. That entire sequence when he was escaping was such a breath of fresh air. A cocky yet charming hercules... I was like OF COURSE!

I really enjoyed everything about #2 to be honest, the art, the pacing, the humor,the action, the charming and witty Superman and the snarky yet commanding Lex Luthor, just so much to enjoy. The art is very squat and compact, like the characters are all about to physically burst with their own kinetic energy... and the writing sort of feels the same way.

Heck, I even found myself admiring the lettering... it has it's own unique roundness to it ,with a lot of word emphasis through size and line thickness, just really expressive stuff.

I'm starting to think this Reboot actually has been worthwhile... a lot of great comics, and Action (IMO) is right up there in the top echelon of titles being released right now.

6.5 out of 5 Pfft

p.s. I even enjoyed the crap out of the "behind the scenes" stuff at the end of the issue.

Hypoxic

>baalroo wrote:

I really enjoyed everything about #2... and the snarky yet commanding Lex Luthor, just so much to enjoy. The art is very squat and compact, like the characters are all about to physically burst with their own kinetic energy... and the writing sort of feels the same way.

One thing I really loved about this Lex is his cowardice when he's not in control. When Supes breaks free and rips the chair out of the floor, the look and expression of Lex was brilliant. Then when the chair is tossed through the window, the way Morales drew Lex in a near-fetus position was gold. I like a Lex that is intellectually confident, but physically inept in situations where the going gets tough.

Overall, Action is shaping up to be easily one of the best, and one of my favourites, from the New 52.
_____

a_cunning_disguise
There's an energy, a gauche joy, a real sense of momentum in this run that I haven't seen in a comic for a long time.

Everything feels new, even though it's very familiar- that is the hardest trick to pull off when writing Superman.

I can see flaws in the pencils, but they add to the charm of the thing for me. Definitely don't take away any of the enjoyment for sure.

My doubts about whether Grant Morrison was the right man for the job have been completely demolished. The only bad thing is that it only comes out monthly.

Zaniah
Who is the Lex Clone in the left part of this frame? Is this a mistake or what did I miss? I didn't see him anywhere else in the intro, and the bald guy at the end of the comic looks to have a goatee.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xyblvcccQCU/TpI-z2qloGI/AAAAAAAAq9Y/KZjjDA-NyK0/s640/2011-10-09_19-39-36_107.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

I'm not nitpicking at all, just looking to see why I'm confused - and also I'm kinda sad that the Mystery Flashpoint woman isn't in this last weeks DC comics.

LarGand

>baalroo wrote:

Man, I could care less about what some random dude on a gaming website had to say about it, especially when he comes off as vapid and intellectually incestuous as that fellow (and the ign reviewing crew in general) does.

so, on to my own subjective opinion...

I'm sorry, but this really made me laugh.

But double-standards aside, I do think the IGN review is badly-written and pretentious, although the guy does have some valid points to make and I think it's perfectly reasonable to liken Luthor to a kind of Josef Mengele-type figure - a man who justifies unspeakable cruelty by insisting the object of that cruelty is less than human, and a threat to humanity. That is exactly what the Nazis did.

But, more importantly, I think Grant Morrison has created an exciting, absorbing storyline that makes me look forward to reading the next issue. I remember liking John Byrne's re-imagining of Superman, because it dropped a lot of the stuff from the Silver Age that I thought weighed the character down. Now I'm enjoying Morrison's take on the myth just as much, if not more.

A6K

>Zaniah wrote:

I'm kinda sad that the Mystery Flashpoint woman isn't in this last weeks DC comics.

I think Judy is taking a brake or she isn't as important as we thought she was. Who knows she may not show up for another year in some crazy story arc.

Remember that this universe is crisis free, Judy may play a role in a yet to be planned crisis event.

Hypoxic
I stopped caring about finding Judy about halfway through the #1's.
_____

bobbybob
As a Silver Age kid I wasn't a big fan of Byrne until I started listening to the podcast "From Crisis to Crisis". Now I actually go to the long boxes from time to time to read along with Michael's & Jeffrey's reviews.

This time I decided to look at the books with an open mind. I wasn't crazy about the lower half of either Supergirl or Superman's new costumes but Superman's is growing on me.

In brief... I haven't enjoyed reading comics this much in a very long time. I have a direct subscription to Action & Superman but they usually get here 2 to 3 weeks after they show up in my local comic store. I haven't been waiting for them to get here. I've been buying them too. I've read almost 2 dozen of the new books and Action is by far my favorite so far. I have renewed my subscriptions through the summer of 2013.

I hope they can sustain this type of quality for quite some time.

This is indeed a fun time to be a Superman fan.

Utah13
I dont like how Lois is drawn, she looks..annoying?, maybe a little chunkie at times. I think Lex is a hit. I hope the Kents aren't really dead, just living under a different name or something.

Zaniah

>Utah13 wrote:

I dont like how Lois is drawn, she looks..annoying?, maybe a little chunkie at times. I think Lex is a hit. I hope the Kents aren't really dead, just living under a different name or something.
[

I thought the same thing. I am glad she isn't drawn as a bimbo, but you would think that she shouldn't be drawn ugly!

Hypoxic

>Utah13 wrote:

I hope the Kents aren't really dead, just living under a different name or something.

I really disagree.

There's a reference to Ma and Pa in Action Comics #1. You can see a photo of them on Clark's dresser.
_____

NeoRanger
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Kents are dead. Hey, as long as they're both six feet under, I'm game. It works better in this context, anyway.

Jump to Forum: