Print Thread
Superman VS. The Elite post DCnU
Sven-El
I find it funny that DC gave Bruce Timm permission to do an adaptation of "What's so funny about truth, justice and the American way?" Mainly as it doesn't seem to go with the DCnU ( I have similar feelings as to the use of Wally West in Young Justice.).

First: We have a Superman who is saying that violence and killing aren't the best way. That there should be another way. DC wants the heroes to be more "Edgy" to appeal to younger readers.

second: the "Elite" are a pistache of the Authority, characters that DC is featuring heavily in the relaunch. Superman has to defeat the "Elite". Really Bruce Timm? Couldn't you have googled or looked that up on Wikipedia before you asked to do this?

Then again maybe this video is just meant to be something more for long-time fans then new ones.

Any rate is this story ( though no longer canon) still relevant with the relaunch? I say yes. To me this is what Superman should be. He should be the one who shows us that there is a better way and that as Batman said in the JL episode Hereafter, "you showed me that true justice doesn't have to come from the darkness."
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE

The Man of Steel1265
I'll gladly buy this movie when it's released. And to be honest, I'm not very impressed with the version of Superman that they're currently using in the comics.
[img]http://superkalel.com/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/afdb2_the-evolution-of-the-man-of-tomorrow-by-brian-stelfreeze-570x429.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

Made of Steel
I maintain that the Timmverse cartoons had one of the best characterizations of Superman I've ever seen. I'm probably more psyched for this movie than I am for Man of Steel Grin. I loved the comic this was based on; it's a wonderful representation of who Superman is and what he stands for.

It should still be relevant, but I will say that the character in the relaunch isn't enough like the one in "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?" He seems more like a thug, and reminds me way too much of Batman ( whom I love, but Batman isn't Superman and vice versa for a reason ).

Anyway, bring on Superman vs. The Elite! I really hope they get Dana Delany to do Lois's voice again, as she's seriously my favorite voice actress for Lois.
[img]http://oi55.tinypic.com/2cg0a2r.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

__

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."--Jor-El

Blue Boy Scout
I'm probably more psyched for this movie than I am for Man of Steel Grin.

It should still be relevant, but I will say that the character in the relaunch isn't enough like the one in "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?" He seems more like a thug, and reminds me way too much of Batman ( whom I love, but Batman isn't Superman and vice versa for a reason ).

Loving everything you said. Grin

LovelyLanaLang
uh.....No, I don't think it is still relevant.

No, this film doesn't means to long time fans. Who are the long time fans? The fans who read the comics during Bryne's era to Pre DCnU? There are other fans who like the cocky Superman during the Golden or the big boyscout during the Silver age.

That is just me. Smile
[img]http://1979semifinalist.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/supergirl36.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Anthony Arfuso
I'm truly awaiting in much anticipation for this to come out (regardless of the chosen animated art style (just wish it was done in Mahnke's like they did with "Under the Red Hood" )), and just truly hope the animated movie adaption ends up coming off as a pure masterpiece just like the comic issue its based on.

However, what I honestly still don't get is why the PTB up at WB/DC have chosen to portray Superman minus the red trunks with the "New 52" look going forth in their comics continuity itself yet come their animated adaptions like "Young Justice" series and animated movies choose to still portray him in his more "classic" red trunks incarnation? o_O I mean exactly which look do you wish to use going forth for Superman now? =/

MorganEdge
There are other fans who like the cocky Superman during the Golden or the big boyscout during the Silver age.

That is just me. Smile

Well, isn't the episode vs. the Elite a great sample of Silver Age boyscouting?

I too am quite psyched about this movie, I like the new approach fine, but I still like the old personality better enough to want to watch this one. And I hate the Authority enough to be glad how a goody two shoes Supes kicks their pastiches' buns whenever he wants. Hope they keep faithful to this part... although it's too bad they didn't use the real Authority for this.

I also hope it's well drawn and animated.

Edited by MorganEdge on 23/04/2012 12:20

Utah13
Just watched this movie. Was very well done. I wish they would have said how the snake lady got her powers.

Roger
I already said this in the other thread but I loved this movie.
Great portrayal of Superman.

Animation wasn't as realistic as I like but it worked fine.
I'm definitely recommending this to friends.
- Roger "THE Doctor"
"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
- Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks)
www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com - horror host videos.

wisdom60
I just now watched "Superman vs The Elite" animation movie. I am 61 yrs. old, and have been a die hard fan of Superman since the easrly 50's. I have watched with the eyes of a boy and a young man (and now with eyes of an older much wiser person) Superman grow and change over the decades and into the 21st, century.

This animation/movie (I feel) was done to a high degree. I enjoyed it completely! I remember reading the comic that it was made from. The art was different, but the story line was well done. It brought up a need for all of us to remember that an "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" is never the answer. When you behave like that you assumed the same philosophy. Superman gives us all a thing to remember in our deepest darkest hour.

Hypoxic
I finally got around to watching it. I liked it a lot. The art direction threw me off in the adverts, but it ended up looking rather decent in the final product.

Now, I was never overly struck by Action Comics #775. I find it a good read but not the brilliant piece of work that a lot of people do. I think this animated adaptation was better than the source material.

Edited by Hypoxic on 29/07/2012 00:23

Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

marsh12
i like this topic its good..........

Jump to Forum: