Print Thread
Superman-New 52 or Earth One?
Jon-El
Hey I was wondering what the majority of the the fans/you think about Supermans costume. Do you prefer the New 52 costume over the Earth One revamped classic...or do you prefer the Earth One classic over the New 52????? I really dont know what to think. At first I hated the New 52 but now I am on the fence. I am looking for logic behind youlls answer. Much appreciated.

copacetic
I enjoy the new 52 outfit for what it is, because it still screams "Superman" to me - way more than the red and blue energy suits, or even the Superman Beyond look *ducks out of the way of pelted vegetables and fruits*.

It doesn't mean I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater - the classic look with the red undies, even the way it's ramped up in Earth One, is still a cool look in my opinion. If I see Superman in the red undies again I won't throw a fit as long as the rest of him still looks like how Supes should look. So it's all good, at least in my view.

Saint Expeditus

>copacetic wrote:

I enjoy the new 52 outfit for what it is, because it still screams "Superman" to me - way more than the red and blue energy suits, or even the Superman Beyond look *ducks out of the way of pelted vegetables and fruits*.

It doesn't mean I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater - the classic look with the red undies, even the way it's ramped up in Earth One, is still a cool look in my opinion. If I see Superman in the red undies again I won't throw a fit as long as the rest of him still looks like how Supes should look. So it's all good, at least in my view.

Earth One wins out for me because it actually resembles Superman's costume. I don't care for the darker colors and the tweaks that were made but they are preferable to me, than the new 52 suit or the Cavill suit.

I really disliked the earth one art, so it is tough...

Hypoxic
Not sure which I like best, but I do really like the New 52 suit, and seeing as this is what we now have in continuity, I'm glad about that.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

NeoRanger
One thing, for starters: the Earth One suit is the classic suit. The tweaks on the size of the S or the lining of the boots shouldn't be enough to claim otherwise.

Now, we all like the classic look. We didn't mind seeing it. But 'classic' does not equal irreplaceable; not practically irreplaceable either. The DCnU Superman costume is great for what it is. It probably could be better, it lacks any spark of originality, but it is the first serious tweak we've had in forever (not counting Superman Blue/Red). I personally hope it stays until the next time they feel they need to tweak it. The classic suit isn't going to be forgotten, but maybe it's time it became history.

A6K
I was hoping that this was a "which version of the character do you like better" Thread.

I have to agree with Hypoxic.

BUT as far as the characters go, I do like the Earth One take. I think that helped inspire the New 52 version of Superman. Younger, hipper, and more of a brash character it seems. We havenít gotten all the details of how this New 52 version and personality will exactly be and act but from what little I've seen he does appear to be more brazen and "in your face" than the old Supes. Definitely younger. And to me this decision was a direct result of the Earth One version's success. And that's one of the reasons I'm on board with this, I really liked Earth One and would like to see it in a series.

AKalel
I have not seen or read or bought Earth One I cannot comment on that as for the new costume even though I have seen some pics I have to wait to see if they explain the new look cause sometimes a change in a costume/outfit is designed for a certain reason.

Hypoxic

>AKalel wrote:

I have not seen or read or bought Earth One

Here you go:

[img]http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2010/10/sme1galley-082-copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Saint Expeditus

>NeoRanger wrote:

One thing, for starters: the Earth One suit is the classic suit. The tweaks on the size of the S or the lining of the boots shouldn't be enough to claim otherwise.

If that was pointed in my direction, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't the classic suit.

As far as characterization, I didn't care for the earth one take and I have yet to participate in the reboot other than reading excerpts.

NeoRanger
^ It wasn't directed at you. I was just reading through threads regarding DCnU and MoS yesterday and it occurred to me that we live in the tyranny brought about by Raimi's Spider-Man, when nerds stopped picking on different takes on super-hero suits and started picking on details on the same suits.

Saint Expeditus
^ No prob.

SupermanProphet
I enjoy Earth One but it is too early for the new 52.
"Even though you've been raised as a human, you're not one of them. They can be great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For that reason above all, their capacity for good, I've sent them you, my only son."
-Jor-El
[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100815083126/dcuo/images/4/48/CharSuperman.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

King Creole
I like both. I have no choice anyway. We are stuck with the new suit and it isn't that bad. Still hate the belt, though.
You are here for a reason.

Saint Expeditus

>King Creole wrote:

I like both. I have no choice anyway. We are stuck with the new suit and it isn't that bad. Still hate the belt, though.

With one small editorial tweak, I think you may have stumbled upon DCE's new cooperate slogan:

You are stuck with the new suit and it isn't that bad. DCE

NeoRanger
^ Maybe it should be.

SupermanProphet
uh
"Even though you've been raised as a human, you're not one of them. They can be great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For that reason above all, their capacity for good, I've sent them you, my only son."
-Jor-El
[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100815083126/dcuo/images/4/48/CharSuperman.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

A6K

>Saint Expeditus wrote:

>King Creole wrote:

With one small editorial tweak, I think you may have stumbled upon DCE's new cooperate slogan:

You are stuck with the new suit and it isn't that bad. DCE

That or

DEAL WITH IT

AKalel
Thanxs Hy for the post of pic but when I stated I had not seen or read I mean actually pick up and read Earth One. On a side note I think all the suits for differenet reasons are fine as long as they explain why and more importantly do not out have a costume/outfit that has at least a blue, red or yellow/gold in it. On a side note I am curious personally do you refer it to as a suit, outfit or costume and thats opened up to everyone.

Jon-El
I say 'costume' on posts and such cause that is how most refer to it. But personally costumes are for kids and outfit sounds to casual and weird. So personally I see it as being a suit or uniform. Also I feel that Superman's suit has always been a symbol not only for his heritage...but also a symbol for hope and inspiration. He's an example to all in the sense that he's lost a whole world of life...his world...but he's still able to bring out the good in himself (& so should we). And I feel that there are 3 things that take that feeling away with the new 52 Superman. And 2 of those reasons kinda fit into one.
1-2: I think that the armor and collar makes him look to much like a soldier and makes him look more scary (save it for Bats). 3: His attitude is also not very kind and adds to him being to much of a soldier (again he is suppose to be an example so what kinda example would this attitude radiate).
Superman can't be a hypocrite and act evil and expect no evil to come. So ya that's why personally I like the Earth One or the Classic look (cause i guess the undies make him less scary and more approachable)......I mean I'm not totally against no undies or this suit its just some things about this suit and attitude bug me. Sorry i kinda got off the subject of AKalel's question but...ya.

superdupe6934
Earth One still feels like the 'real' Superman to me. I'm glad they're going to keep going with him, because the Nu-perman feels like too much of an [censored] for me to rally behind. He's almost Super-dickery personified and for some reason folks can't get enough. Granted E1 took some time to figure out what his place in the world was and what he wanted to do, but he got there relatively quick and he had good guidance to give him a final push: Martha and Jonathan and the Daily Planet crew. The core people that really shape his perceptions and outlook on our world and his mission: "You've got the power to help people, don't be afraid of it! Control it and use it when you must." Nu-perman feels like Clark on E: no self restraint, no one to sit him down and say "Have you given any thought of how you're doing what you're doing makes you look in the eyes of others? It's good that you want to help folks but there's a better way to proceed." Where that lecture will come from I don't know (but it better not be goddamn Batman of all people).

I also think people will enjoy the idea of a large yearly graphic novel over months of shelling out 4.00 a pop for monthlies. You get a whole big story in one good shot and then wait for next year to continue. I also feel like it lends itself to better story telling as you don't need to worry about 'filler' arcs to take up space between huge events and you've still got plenty of time to refine your process.

Anywho, I'm glad for E1 if for nothing else than it still retains the 'classic' feel that DC just up and decided to dump in favor of 'Modernizing'. Hope it goes well and for those who like DCnU best of luck, but I shan't be joining youWink

Jump to Forum: