Print Thread
Poll: Golden age vs. Silver age Superman, which ones is your favorite?
LovelyLanaLang
Which versions do you like the best?

The Golden age or the Silver age Superman

Please state your reason why?
[img]http://1979semifinalist.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/supergirl36.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Golddragon71
Golden Age for me! back then he let every kind of bad guy have it and he wasn't gentle about it either! First issue he puts a wife beater down for a two hundred count!

NeoRanger
Golden Age is more fun to read. Silver Age is mostly nostalgic. There are great stories in the latter, but there are far too many things irking me in the details from that era that I think the simplicity of the Golden Age works better for me.

Hypoxic
That's tough. I lean toward the Golden Age, though.

I like Superman as a champion of the weak and oppressed. However, I love the earlier part of the Silver Age, as well. Unfortunately, the lack of joy of the latter Silver Age often puts me off.

Overall, I just might like the Golden Age more than the Silver Age, but this is mostly because of the lacklustre stories of the mid Silver Age. The early Silver Age gave us Julius Schwartz, Jack Kirby, Fox Gardner, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, Carmine Infantino, John Broome, and Curt Swan, among others. The very end of the Silver Age gave us Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Mike Friedrich, and Jim Steranko, among others.

All incredibly talented people, more talented than most from the Golden Age. For me, it's that middle period of the Silver Age that makes me lean toward the Golden Age.

Still tough to say for sure...
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

jayfort
Silver and Bronze Age Superman for me! (1971 - 1986)

Julie Schwartz
Denny O'Neill
Cary Bates
Elliot S! Maggin
Marty Pasko

Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson
Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

Saint Expeditus
Golden for me. I like that he was more of a tough guy than boy scout... a tough boy scout. I like the more down to earth depiction of his powers when compared to the silver age.

I also enjoy the stories from that era more than the silver. The silver age always seems a little goofy to me.

King Creole
Golden Age for me. He was a hero with attitude back then. He was ahead of his time.

Silver Age for the most part is silly for me.

Inorder of preference:

Golden Age
Modern Age
Bronze Age
Silver Age

Are we still in the Modern Age, or what age are we in?
You are here for a reason.

Lex Luthor
I enjoy the Silver Age for introducing so much to the Superman mythology and such, but overall I would go with the Golden Age Superman. I like how he knew very little of his origin, and his own power ability. In addition to being more Clint Eastwood like in attitude than that of a Chris Reeve. Thankfully, the Superman Chronicles gives many a affordable chance to read these Golden Age classics.

LovelyLanaLang

>Lex Luthor wrote:

I enjoy the Silver Age for introducing so much to the Superman mythology and such, but overall I would go with the Golden Age Superman. I like how he knew very little of his origin, and his own power ability. In addition to being more Clint Eastwood like in attitude than that of a Chris Reeve. Thankfully, the Superman Chronicles gives many a affordable chance to read these Golden Age classics.

I agree. Smile
[img]http://1979semifinalist.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/supergirl36.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

SupermanProphet
Modern Age but am looking forward the new Superman. The reason why I love the modern age because the modern take but also the writting and the character development. Gotta love the Birthright origin story!
"Even though you've been raised as a human, you're not one of them. They can be great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For that reason above all, their capacity for good, I've sent them you, my only son."
-Jor-El
[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100815083126/dcuo/images/4/48/CharSuperman.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Pravus
I'm with you jayfort, BronzeAge!

Pyxlmytlyk
Anyony who would like to explain this age thing to a newbie?

Hypoxic

>Pyxlmytlyk wrote:

Anyony who would like to explain this age thing to a newbie?

Different eras of comic books have been divided into "Ages". There's no set consensus on exactly when each Age began and ended, but I'll try to be precise.

The Golden Age is considered the beginning, the founding of the medium as a popular art and entertainment form. Some consider the publication of Action Comics #1 to be the beginning, though comics did exist before then. Superman's appearance in Action Comics, however, set the stage of the superhero genre, and within a couple of years, superheroes dominated the comic book market. The Golden Age lasted from the mid/late 30's to about the early 50's.

There was a few years in the early 50's where comics comics lost popularity, largely due to the fear that they were a chief reason for the rise in juvenile delinquency. We can blame Fredric Wertham and his 1954 book Seduction of Innocent for that. It's not unlike blaming heavy metal for juvenile delinquency. Every generation needs a scapegoat. All of Wertham's "findings" were eventually found to be bunk. Nonetheless, because of a few public addresses on the issue, and in no thanks to only one representative of the industry showing up at those addresses (Will Gaines), the Comics Code Authority was established. This saw the end of horror comics like Tales from the Crypt. Enter, a couple years of pure trash. Interestingly, EC Comics, who published Tales from the Crypt, being forced to shift gears started publishing a little humour magazine. It turned out to be a massive success. The magazine was MAD.

Some suggest that the Silver Age of Comics really took off in 1956 when Showcase #4 was published. This was the first appearance of Barry Allen as the Flash. Still others argue that Detective Comics #225 was the start of the Silver Age because it includes the first appearance of Martian Manhunter. This was also the era that introduced the Justice League. We also got a new take on Green Lantern, the one still popular today. Comics suddenly were fresh again and we own a helluva lot to Julius Schwartz for that. Marvel became big at this time as well and a lot of their heavy hitting characters were created during the Silver Age.

Again, there's no consensus on when the Silver Age actually ended, but many suggest it was 1969 or 1970. This started the Bronze Age of Comics. A lot happened in the Bronze Age. The stories were more politically centred, with topics ranging from drug use to ecological destruction. This is when comics became more "mature" and weren't really for young kids any more, but were geared toward teens. There were some changes to characters at this time, including a depowered Superman (are you taking notes those of you who are complaining about the depowered relaunched Superman). The Comics Code Authority at this time eased up on their rules, and so creators and publishers were free again to go back into the dark realms. Thanks to this, we got Swamp Thing (side note: Len Wein is awesome). Some other characters were revised and updated at this time, notably X-Men. Many don't know that X-Men initially wasn't very popular and the title was actually cancelled before the end of the Silver Age. In the mid-70's, thanks to Len Wein (did I mention he's awesome?) and Dave Cockrum, the X-Men team was reintroduced and it became a powerhouse for Marvel. Thanks to this, a few years later DC released the New Teen Titans by the great Marv Wolfman and George Pérez (by the way, look for my reviews on the relaunched Teen Titans at the end of the month here on the Homepage). One of the biggest events of the Bronze Age, and my personal favourite, was DC giving Jack Kirby creative control. This spawned what I consider is Kirby's magnum opus, The Fourth World. The Bronze Age also saw the "DC Implosion." DC simply published too many titles and the company almost went broke (something that would happen to Marvel in the 1990s).

Again, no one fully agrees on when the Bronze Age ended. There's much agreement, however, that it ended between 1984 and 1986 and gave rise to the Modern Age of Comics. There were a lot of new things happening at that time, new trends. For DC alone, they published Crisis on Infinite Earths, Watchmen, and The Dark Knight Returns. A few years later, another major event of the Modern Age DC was, of course, the Death of Superman. Marvel published Secret Wars and introduced New Universe. Many artists and writers at this time were disenchanted by the industry, and particularly by how Marvel treated Jack Kirby. This led to many of them leaving the major companies. Most notably was the departure of several of Marvel's big time artists, like Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane, left the company and formed Image Comics. Of course, Image would gain a lot of popularity, especially through McFarlane's creation, Spawn. The loss of all these top tier artists really hurt Marvel, and it may have had some influence on the company eventually filing for bankruptcy in 1996. Smaller independent comic companies like Dark Horse and much later BOOM! Studios grew out of the Modern Age.

The Modern Age is the age we're still in, and the biggest event to hit the Age this year is the New 52. When will we enter a new age? I have no idea. There hasn't been enough change in the industry recently to indicate any real difference between what's happening now and what has been happening since the mid-80's. I think, however, that the next we'll see is the Digital Age of Comics. The current Modern Age, then, of course, will have to be renamed? Perhaps, the Tin Age?
_____

NeoRanger
Fans of the Pre-Crisis era have branded the post-Crisis era of comics "Iron" or "Steel" age. Considering both or kind of demeaning, I don't know if they will be embraced by the world of comics (creators and communities alike) in the future.

Pyxlmytlyk
Thanks Hypoxic! That's a lot of information for a man to handle! :-P

Hypoxic

>Pyxlmytlyk wrote:

You're welcome. Sorry for any grammatical errors, my eyes were straining by the end there, and I tend not to edit longer posts. Grin

I'm pretty sure what I've included is accurate, but I invite anyone to add things I may have left out.
_____

Pyxlmytlyk

>Hypoxic wrote:

>Pyxlmytlyk wrote:

You're welcome. Sorry for any gr
ammatical errors, my eyes were straining by the end there, and I tend not to edit longer posts. Grin

I'm pretty sure what I've included is accurate, but I invite anyone to add things I may have left out.

Hehe, the grammatical errors doesn't bother me at all! My english is really crappy, the fact that you guys understands what i'm writing is a miracle itself..

Hypoxic
Pyxlmytlyk wrote:[/url]

Hehe, the grammatical errors doesn't bother me at all! My english is really crappy, the fact that you guys understands what i'm writing is a miracle itself..

Huh?

Pfft
_____

Pyxlmytlyk

>Hypoxic wrote:

Pyxlmytlyk wrote:[/url]

Huh?

Pfft

Hehe!

Jump to Forum: