Print Thread
Whatever Happened to The Man Of Steel?
DuncanB
Hey everyone, I really feel very strongly that although Superman is being reset, this version of the Man Of Steel deserves a proper send off in the fashion that the Silver Age got. A one of 'What if' story that gives us some closure on the character. It would make me feel a whole lot better about accepting the new universe for a start! Does anyone agree with me? I really dont think its too much to ask of DC after nearly 30 years of stories featuring this version of the characters.

On a seperate note, my login stopped working so I have had to create a new account, anyone had a similar problem?

Hypoxic
I would like to see a great closing story as well. I really hope Grounded isn't the swan song of this continuity's Superman. A one shot would be great, but we've already seen the solicitations for the coming months and, unless I missed something, there's nothing indicating a send off story.

Send me a private message with your previous username and I'll look into it for you.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

DuncanB
Yeah i know but it just seems crazy that they wouldnt do it! Maybe they would consider doing it when they have the other characters up and running? I dont know, I just think its a massive oppurtunity wasted, and a way to make the fans feeling disilusioned that they are losing their characters feel better I guess.
'Clark is who I am, Superman is just what I can do'

Saint Expeditus
I would be in favor of any incarnation of Superman staring in a good story. Given the track record, and the rather disturbing take that has been announced by DC, I am not hopeful.

Morrison/Johns/DiDio= axis of evil.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I think these asinine changes must be driven by the lawsuit. It is the only rational explanation for the "special" treatment Superman is getting in the relaunch. (What I like to call the Didiocalypse) Why else would you blow up a character and introduce.... T-shirt wearing with cape, armor wearing (it is official), dead Kent having, conflicted, and detached Superman!?!

Has anyone even read a Superman comic pre 2002? Seen a Justice League or Superman cartoon? EVER!?!

Edited by Saint Expeditus on 21/07/2011 18:26

NeoRanger
I have no such hopes. They already sent off the post-Crisis Superman with... well, nothing really. One moment he was there, next moment he wasn't. And it's debatable when that happened (was it in IC or after Birthright?). It was so shameful I'm hell-bent on the idea that the post-Crisis Superman is the Superman of Earth-22.

Perhaps this one will have a better send-off, this being a huge title-wide reboot and all. But, as I said, no hope or expectations.

DuncanB
I didnt feel that the character really changed that much then, they just messed with the continuity so much noone knew what was going on!
'Clark is who I am, Superman is just what I can do'

King Creole
Apparently they won't do any proper ending to this version of Superman. They should, though. Grounded is not the kind of story I would end up this version.

They should bring Jonh Byrne and make him write and draw a comic. That way he started and ended this version.
You are here for a reason.

LovelyLanaLang

>DuncanB wrote:

Hey everyone, I really feel very strongly that although Superman is being reset, this version of the Man Of Steel deserves a proper send off in the fashion that the Silver Age got. A one of 'What if' story that gives us some closure on the character. It would make me feel a whole lot better about accepting the new universe for a start! Does anyone agree with me? I really dont think its too much to ask of DC after nearly 30 years of stories featuring this version of the characters.

On a seperate note, my login stopped working so I have had to create a new account, anyone had a similar problem?

DC almost about to do it but they decided not to do it. . I don't know why they change their minds.
[img]http://1979semifinalist.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/supergirl36.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Hypoxic
Like LovelyLanaLang pointed out, DC considered a send off story, but decided against it. The Superman panel at ComicCon confirmed it.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Doug22

>Saint Expeditus wrote:

I would be in favor of any incarnation of Superman staring in a good story. Given the track record, and the rather disturbing take that has been announced by DC, I am not hopeful.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I think these asinine changes must be driven by the lawsuit. It is the only rational explanation for the "special" treatment Superman is getting in the relaunch. (What I like to call the Didiocalypse) Why else would you blow up a character and introduce.... T-shirt wearing with cape, armor wearing (it is official), dead Kent having, conflicted, and detached Superman!?!?!

I think that's a good bet. Superman is getting far more changes than any other character. Batman in fact is changing very little.

DC has no choice. This new version is halfway between the origianl version and a new imaging. Note the Kents are dead and the suit is different and bullets don't bounce off the chest anymore.

This allows them to have a semi-alternate character in place in the books if they can't come to terms with the heirs/don't want to license back the rights at what might be a high cost. Of course there would have to be more changes. Lois and Clark would need to be taken out of the reboot.

It is what it is.

Zaniah
Bullets don't bounce off the chest anymore? Where is all this new, good information that you guys are talking about so I can see it as well?

King Creole
I guess DC lost faith in this incarnation of their universe. That's why they are resetting everything. They don't seem to care about continuity anymore. I just hope that after September they won't be as sloppy as they had been in the last couple of years.
You are here for a reason.

supermanofsteel
Well, it's clear that they're not going to give him a proper send off.

But on the bright side, I don't particularly consider the "Grounded" Superman to be the same Superman from the Byrne "Man of Steel" continuity (even though Straczynski makes references to those stories). To me the "Grounded" Superman is the New-Earth Superman. The Superman born out of Infinite Crisis/Secret Origin.

Personally, I consider the last "Man of Steel" Superman story to be Greg Rucka's run on Adventures of Superman. While it wasn't in the same vein as "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", it was still a fantastic storyarc nonetheless.

supermanofsteel

>Saint Expeditus wrote:

In regards to Didio (and as you call it his Didiocalypse), I agree with you completely.

But as far as Morrison and Johns, while I don't always agree with them creatively, I honestly believe that they both have a very healthy respect for the character (Morrison especially). I do think that they're just doing what they think is best for Superman and writing the best stories that they can.

And at the end of the day, I'd much rather prefer that reasoning rather than one that's motivated by sales.

IFightForTomorrow

>supermanofsteel wrote:

But as far as Morrison and Johns, while I don't always agree with them creatively, I honestly believe that they both have a very healthy respect for the character (Morrison especially). I do think that they're just doing what they think is best for Superman and writing the best stories that they can.

And at the end of the day, I'd much rather prefer that reasoning rather than one that's motivated by sales.

I second this wholeheartedly!

BBally
even though Straczynski makes references to those stories

Actually that was Chris Roberson's work not JMS. And sorry but whatever you guys want to think, the fact is despite the changes to continiuty, 1986-2011 is all part of the same era to me. If I want to pick an ending to this era, I wish it was something like Geoff Johns/Kurt Buseik's Up Up and Away.

Also Robinson's run on Grounded wasn't such a bad way to end it compared to how the final canonical Pre-Crisis Superman issue occured (in the story Superman gets attacked and striped naked by werewolves, which to me is much more disturbing than JMS' Grounded and no I don't consider Whatever Happened To The Man of Tommorrow canonical)
No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

PD100
Technically, "War of the Doomsdays" was the last Post-Crisis era Superman story, chronologically speaking.

As far as the last issue of 'Grounded' goes, I feel like Roberson did his best to give some sense of closure in the final pages, summing up the Superman legacy, having Lois and Clark essentially fly off into the sunset, etc. It wasn't ideal, but at least there was some acknowledgement that an era was really ending.

I believe Roberson has said there was talk about doing a proper "final" story, but that editiorial ultimately nixed it.

MorganEdge
I'm against a closing story for the Byrne era Superman because I didn't like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow that much.

Jump to Forum: