>Project 86 wrote:

^they sure did have their own themes

Batman Theme

http://www.youtub..._DSq-LhOyU

Spiderman Theme
http://www.youtub...Ac4xamCIgY

Thor Theme
http://www.youtub...XwAIMu0pdY

I'll give ya Spiderman, but I didn't mention that one. The other songs were just part of the soundtrack and is set to the action and pace of the movie and scene it is played with, so I wouldn't consider them a theme. A theme in the sense that I would consider is just played with the opening credits, like to a TV show or 1989 Batman, Superman the Movie, Star Wars, and Spiderman. I kind of grabs your attention and when you hear it you think of the movie/TV show it goes with. NOT a random song from the soundtrack.
Just because someone put in on Youtube as a "Theme" doesn't mean that it is.
But I know how some of you guys are, if you had it in your head that the sky is brown no one could convince you otherwise. Like I'm sure you have convinced yourself those are themes and I can't convince you otherwise.
Theme Song definition: a melody that recurs and comes to represent a play, movie or character
So, are the songs you presented for Dark Knight and Thor a theme by definition? No
Did they play those songs to represent the Movie or Characters? No

A6K

Well Wackety Wack Wack, look at that.

NeoRanger
Pretty sure Molossus was from Batman Begins. The so-called theme of TDK is the track of the same name and it's essentially Zimmer arranging one of his tracks for "The DaVinci Code".

A theme is generally something you associate with the character and you'd put in the opening credits (if they existed). Spider-Man had opening credits and music to go with it, but I neither remember it nor would I ever associate it with Spider-Man. The age of theme songs in movies is long past. It ended well over a decade ago. We may need it back at some point in time, but now's not the time and certainly not by recycling themes from the '70s.

Lex Vader
Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a very boring theme that drags along and doesn't really establish any mood. Well, the first part anyway, which in the movie is frequently interrupted by scene changes as if it wasn't important. The second part is the "wake up, there's action happening" part, which I like okay. But it's still mostly incidental action music, which is kind of what I'm suggesting for Man of Steel. The point is, it's labeled as a theme (I think), but it really meanders and peters out, with very few repeating phrases.

Captain America had a theme, but compared to the composer's past works, it's amateurish and forgettable.

Iron Man... what? The dun-na-na-na dun-na-na-na guitar riff? That's a theme now? No, that's action scoring like I'm talking about. Though guitars wouldn't work for Superman.

The first X-Men had a pretty great theme, really one of the few modern movies that can claim that. But the sequels dropped it like a hot potato because it's just not cool to have a theme anymore.

I didn't see Thor.

Spider-Man has a great theme. So did Hellboy. But when Danny Elfman did Hellboy II, he completely dropped the theme and failed to replace it with anything distinctive. Which is kind of why I'm suggesting not doing a theme. It doesn't seem like anyone's up for it anymore, and those who are fail to live up to their past work.

I would be up for John Williams writing a completely new theme and score though. He seems to shine when he's really inspired by the source material, and it would be a neat challenge and definately interesting from a comparitive standpoint. But that would be a pipe dream.

Project 86
as much crap as he gets danny elfman is one of the few guys who does good themes

his batman and spiderman themes are epic

hell his wolfman theme is epic too
http://www.youtub...FuxWoztMbA

not saying danny should score but themes can still be done

truemiracle12

>Project 86 wrote:

this movie needs it's own theme,sound,and voice

elfman's bat score is iconic and zimmer did a bat theme that is equally as epic but very different as well

this movie needs it's own theme for this generation's superman or i feel supes will be forever stuck in the 70's

Well said!

Hypoxic
The only thing I do prefer regarding music is orchestration. No Top 40, please.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Lex Vader
I refuse to see this movie if it doesn't have a Nickelback song in it.

A6K

>Lex Vader wrote:

That's pretty offensive right there. I mean of all the sh!t bands.......

Hypoxic

>Lex Vader wrote:

Shock
hehehe
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Chris Rock
I wonder if they might choose to score the opening credits with the Williams theme and also without and then get test audience feedback then decide from there. I understand the points that other Super heroes don't have themes so why does Man of Steel need Williams' music again, but if you surveyed a bunch of folk and ask them when they hear the name Superman what does it make them think, they'll mention the music. You could argue that the theme didn't make a difference to Superman Returns but considering the short falls in that movie, I'm glad I at least got to enjoy the theme in the beginning. As you can tell I am pro theme song. Go tell a Star Wars fan that Lucas is putting out 3 more movies but without their theme tune and see how they react. I get trying to disassociate from the other Superman movies but to me the theme is part of the Superman package. So long as it's in the beginning and the guts of the movie are great then who cares.

Chris Rock

>Noah Runzo wrote:

I for one and officially voting for the movie to use the John Williams Superman opening score....and the flying main titles. I know it's been done before, and most recently in Returns, but I dunno, it just won't feel quite like Superman without them!! I kept going back and forth on it, wanting something fresh, new, and completely different than the JW score....but every time I listen to it, I want it in Man of Steel! What do you guys think? Would you get really pumped if you heard it in the opening sequence of the movie!!

Exactly. The music doesn't play throughout the movie after the opening creidits so what's the big deal if it is in there. Sad or not but it'd be a bit like Christmas with no tree, Santa with no beard, a burger with no buns.

Chris Rock
What I read on Wikipedia today;
41] Hans Zimmer will compose the film's soundtrack, and stated that he has chosen to "reinvent" the Superman theme music rather than reusing John Williams score from the previous films.[39]

Anybody know what 'reinvent' the theme means if you're not reusing it? John Ottman did it his way for Returns. If I am correct Ottman's version was different in the beginning of the theme than the Williams' original.

A6K

>Chris Rock wrote:

What I read on Wikipedia today;
41] Hans Zimmer will compose the film's soundtrack, and stated that he has chosen to "reinvent" the Superman theme music rather than reusing John Williams score from the previous films.[39]

Anybody know what 'reinvent' the theme means if you're not reusing it? John Ottman did it his way for Returns. If I am correct Ottman's version was different in the beginning of the theme than the Williams' original.

I think it means you are referencing an unreliable source.

re∑in∑vent∑ed, re∑in∑vent∑ing, re∑in∑vents
1. To make over completely: "She reinvented Indian cooking to fit a Western kitchen and a Western larder"
2. To bring back into existence or use: reinvented the concept of neighborliness.

suttie7
Unless its an official release from WB, I wouldn't trust the source.
His name is Kal-El. He will call himself Clark Kent, but the world will know him as Superman.

Ron-El
I personally would prefer the new movie distance itself from the previous films. I think the main reason the most recent film was so bad was its attempt to pay homage to prior films. Let the homage be to the comic. Don't make a movie that makes us think of Christopher Reeve. Make a movie that makes us think of Clark Kent and the Man of Steel as we've come to love him on the printed page. Let Curt Swan and Wayne Boring be the artistic influences, rather than Richard Donner. Jim Lee and Alex Ross would be other good influences. Jack Kirby and George Perez added imagery worth perusing. John Byrne and Jerry Ordway, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Gary Frank, Neal Adams and Dan Jurgens, all of these men added powerful visuals to be considered. Look to the comic.

As for the music, I think Richard Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries might get us started in the right direction. Richard Strauss's Thus Spake Zarathustra hits some good Kryptonian notes, as does Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. I think a young, modern composer should be selected, and then should ground himself or herself in these three epic works, and then, finally, should give us a bold new soundscape that will make us believe a man can fly while lifting a jumbo jet and melting an enemy helicopter with hot beams from out the eyes.

Edited by Ron-El on 07/02/2012 02:16

"Up, up, and away!"

Jump to Forum: