Print Thread
Official petition for Zack Snyder to use the classic John Williams score
Moffey
As per the title, here is the official petition for Zack Snyder to use the classic John Williams score to be submitted to Warner / DC

http://www.ipetit...anofsteel/

Hypoxic
It would be great if the Prelude & Title March were used, but I'm also not opposed to a new theme.

I don't think I'll sign the petition.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Sven-El
Seeing as Tyler Bates is most likely scoring MOS, I signed it as he didn't deliver anything extrordinary with Watchmen. I was horribly dissappointed in the score for Green Lantern as it was too identical to Batman Begins/The Dark Knight with some Transformers thrown in. ( In fact during the prologue I was waiting for Optimus Prime to start talking about the All-Spark.) Superman needs a theme that helps him soar. Unless DC/WB take the John Williams score out of print and forbid it from being used in parodies, homages, or things like 4th of July Fireworks shows, it'll be impossible to replace, or redo that theme. I signed it, at least to keep the main "march."
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE

sandman1347
Can't sign it. I don't think they should recycle anything from the old films at all. I love the John Williams score but they have to try something new.

Bizzar-o

>sandman1347 wrote:

Can't sign it. I don't think they should recycle anything from the old films at all. I love the John Williams score but they have to try something new.

My feelings exactly!

If you want to start anew then REALLY start anew.
Gosh Mr White that's terrible!

NeoRanger
What does "official" petition mean?

Regardless, I can't say I want to sign it. I don't want the theme back. I'm not sure I want any type of theme associated with the new film.

King Creole
I think the theme should be there. I can be sure there is a lot of people expecting it, and not necessarily Superman's fans.

When I listen to James Bond's theme, I hardly think in the Sean Connery or Roger Moore versions, or any previous version. For me it is simlpy James Bond.

Same goes for Superman.
You are here for a reason.

baalroo

>NeoRanger wrote:

I don't want the theme back. I'm not sure I want any type of theme associated with the new film.

agreed.

maybe we should start an "official" counter petition.

Hypoxic
I wouldn't be devastated either if there was an absence of any classifiable theme for Supes.
_____

Bizzar-o

>King Creole wrote:

I think the theme should be there. I can be sure there is a lot of people expecting it, and not necessarily Superman's fans.

When I listen to James Bond's theme, I hardly think in the Sean Connery or Roger Moore versions, or any previous version. For me it is simlpy James Bond.

Same goes for Superman.

I'm actually the opposite. When I here John Williams' theme I immediately think of Christopher Reeve as Superman. Nobody else.

I don't think they should have used it for SR either.

Definitely want a good score but without any discernable 'theme' a-la Nolan's Batman films.
Gosh Mr White that's terrible!

SuperSonSteel
Rework williams theme or don't use it at all even

copacetic
They could certainly make nods to the old theme, just as the Spider-Man movies made cheeky reference to the 1960's cartoon theme. The Iron Man movie (first one) made reference to the 1960's cartoon theme too (hotel scene when Tony is walking out with his entourage and hands his Epogee award to the dude in the toga - it's a jazzed up version of the old theme).

So there's nothing wrong with that since stuff like that is fan service anyway. You really want to make this reboot it's own entity with no ties to previous franchises, as you've claimed in interviews? Then use a new theme.

It's not impossible - I associate Shirley Walker's Superman: TAS theme with the character just as much as the John Williams theme, and it's not a bad musical piece either. Sums up the hope and positive vibes of the character quite nicely.

Hypoxic
Agreed about the Animated Series theme. I also really like the theme in Superman: Doomsday.
_____

MorganEdge
I signed it. Heck, I'd sign it 50 times if I could. The Williams score is THAT good.

Ant-03
I haven't signed. I'm all for a new theme.

A6K
5 year old kid
" I don't want to try pizza, I want ceral, I don't want to try pizza, I want ceral, pizza is gross, ceral is good, pizza no it's ickey, NO NO NO NO................wow pizza is really good! Better than ceral. YAY PIZZA!"

I think your going to be like a 5 year old kid.

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

5 year old kid
" I don't want to try pizza, I want ceral, I don't want to try pizza, I want ceral, pizza is gross, ceral is good, pizza no it's ickey, NO NO NO NO................wow pizza is really good! Better than ceral. YAY PIZZA!"

I think your going to be like a 5 year old kid.

This just in: pizza is awesome!

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ma3wkz6R8FY/S85vD_nLxAI/AAAAAAAACAw/R8Ap3FCHey0/s1600/pizzahutsuperman2.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/superman-returns11/papajohnspizza.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Cereal is pretty great, too.

[img]http://www.supermantv.net/articles/gallery/kelloggs.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://p6.hostingprod.com/@the-toyroom.com/SupermanBatman1966CerealFront.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

http://www.youtub...HT6xamre6s

Edited by Hypoxic on 07/08/2011 01:35

_____

Project 86
this movie needs it's own theme,sound,and voice

elfman's bat score is iconic and zimmer did a bat theme that is equally as epic but very different as well

this movie needs it's own theme for this generation's superman or i feel supes will be forever stuck in the 70's

Lex Vader
Have they announced who's scoring it yet?

Personally, I don't want there to be a theme song at all. Composers these days absolutely suck at themes and motifs. It's become a dated concept. And really, if this is more of an action movie, I just want some exciting music in the background. Stopping the movie to have the hero pose while his theme plays is a hokey thing to do. This needs to focus on action and story and dialogue, not on manipulative moments that need to convince you a man can have a theme song.

The old movie was a theme song movie. They don't make those movies anymore. Trying to compete with John Williams would be suicide. Ripping him off would be worse.

A6K

>Lex Vader wrote:

Have they announced who's scoring it yet?

Personally, I don't want there to be a theme song at all. Composers these days absolutely suck at themes and motifs. It's become a dated concept. And really, if this is more of an action movie, I just want some exciting music in the background. Stopping the movie to have the hero pose while his theme plays is a hokey thing to do. This needs to focus on action and story and dialogue, not on manipulative moments that need to convince you a man can have a theme song.

The old movie was a theme song movie. They don't make those movies anymore. Trying to compete with John Williams would be suicide. Ripping him off would be worse.

Yeah exactly, I thought about it and why do we need an official "Theme" anyways? NONE of the Superhero movies today have a theme, that I can think of. Batman Begins and Dark Knight didn't, Captain America didn't, Iron Man didn't, X-Men didn't, Thor didn't. Some of these movies had music that had a distinctive style but not a theme that I would consider. As long as there is a good soundtrack that goes well with the action I'd be happy. And personally, I think that's what we are going to get.
But I am defiantly not going to sit there with my arms crossed and my nose in the air with a sour look on my face demanding the Williams Theme.

Jump to Forum: