Print Thread
after all we are all fans of superman.
smallville-211
Hey here I am a true blue fan of superman since the age of 5. I was surfing the net tonight and I came across a couple of things. first here on the home page somthing from one of the mods about keeping on topic and not hi-jacking threads wich I agree with , if your a troll looking for a fight find another place to play. I know a few years back ,when talk of a new superman movie was comming out and the hottest program on tv was smallville we superman fans were in our glory. Then a fight started about how Tom welling should get the part in the new movie and it didn't happen .why cause it was a risky storyline and they did not want to damage the popularity of smallville. when superman returns came out there were tons of complaints. was it a bad movie, no it made money but was not quite the boxoffice smash they (the studio )wanted. Anyway back to the topic of my little rant. Well smallville came to an end a few months back and talk of another superman movie comming out. Again the debate Brandon from superman returns ,or Tom from smallville who should get the part. well this debate didn't last and Henry Cavil was announced as the lead in the new movie man of steel. A bunch of us fans responded with Henry who. and the grumbling started up again and on another site comicbook movies .com I came across the same debate routh welling your both nuts it been cast it henrycavil get over it. but what bothered me as I read down the thread was some poster who said its not superman fans who want welling to get the part its f**king smallville fans who who want it. well here is where I wade in with my two cents, ladys and gents newflash smallville fans and superman fans are one in the same . no not all superman fans are fans of smallville. but all smallville fans are superman fans. so yeh for 20 years I have been collecting death of superman stuff . I have also been watching superman movies since 77 or 78 also watched George Reeves in rerun on tv.. Have watched smallville since 2001 and Lois and Clark before that and yes even the illfaited live action superboy series in the late 80's
So have I loved evrything they have done with superman hell no but am I a fan your dam right I am.

Hypoxic
Just a little request: please use paragraphs for long posts.

To respond, I would argue against your opinion that all Smallville fans are Superman fans. I am certain we could find people, even users on the Homepage, that loved Smallville but have never read a Superman comic.

Superman is indeed a franchise that spans various mediums, but the first and truest of those is the comic book. I tend to think, admittedly perhaps inappropriately, that someone who loved Smallville and the Superman movies but has never read a Superman comic isn't a Superman fan, but a fan of that particular medium that represents Superman. However, I don't think it's true when put the other way around.

It may be a bias as a reader of comics for 25+ years and a lover of Superman for just as long. I don't inherently love all things Superman just because they're Superman/Superman related. Due to my love for the character I am very critical of things that represent him poorly. This includes Smallville (which I thoroughly disliked), Superman 3 and 4, much of the Adventures of Superman, many episodes of the radio serial, and many comics and arcs.

In any regard, I'm certainly not questioning your personal fandom, but I disagree with your argument.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

smallville-211
Most people that I know that are fans of smallville were fans of superman first. why on earth would anybody watch a seires based on superman before he was superman without being a superman fan?

The whole concept of smallville was based on a 1960 superboy comic That Lex and superman had once been friends back in smallville.

AKalel
I never really saw anyone fighting about things I think its just a case of what peoples understanding of a character was vs what the new version is. Since it is rare they are the same you will have some people who would say since they were exposed to this anything else is wrong. Also above it was stated why would someone watch Smallville without being a Superman fan first. My answer to that is at least in my case and I liked Superman before, during and after but tuned into with the idea and understanding it would cover stuff that I might not have seen, read or heard before. Sometimes that was good, sometimes not so. Another way of looking at it is if you Smallville went and someone asked I have never read a Superman comic before but watch Smallville which should I read. Plus would like to echo I know some people who did onee but not the other. Finally and sorry for the ramble and this goes up to a point I mentioned above some people are purists and think things should stay the same as a non Superman example we will use Batman after the first Burton movie thought no one could top Jack N. portrayla of the Joker but then Dark Knight came out and some say Health L. did or Star Trek when Abrams came out were surpised a movie called Star Trek could have other people in aside from Shatner and company. Now I am not saying you have to love everything and every version but try to give everything a equal chance before deciding. As one last example I have not seen all the James Bond movies but have sen a fair share and if someone asked me who was my favourite was I would say it would have to be dependent on the situation.

True Blue 211
I did find the comment that the comic book is the truest and closest version of superman to be an interesting one. when superman first graced the comics he couldn't fly .
superman has gone through some changes over the years both in the comics and other mediums.
I read superman in the comics for years I think those of us old enough to remember the the 6 issue reboot in the 80's called Man of steel. all forms of kryptonite except green were removed, as was superboys history undone. even the Liagon coming back to the past to work with superman was addressed in Smallville

also in the early days superman couldn't fly Both of these things were brought back into main stream via Smallville. as for the debates and arguing that went on over Brandon and Tom you can see proofe of thease by going to youtube and surfing other comic sites.

True Blue 211
I did find the comment that the comic book is the truest and closest version of superman to be an interesting one. when superman first graced the comics he couldn't fly .
superman has gone through some changes over the years both in the comics and other mediums.
I read superman in the comics for years I think those of us old enough to remember the the 6 issue reboot in the 80's called Man of steel. all forms of kryptonite except green were removed, as was superboys history undone. even the Liagon coming back to the past to work with superman was addressed in Smallville

also in the early days superman couldn't fly Both of these things were brought back into main stream via Smallville. as for the debates and arguing that went on over Brandon and Tom you can see proofe of thease by going to youtube and surfing other comic sites. I do agree that a good number of fans pick thier favorite version of the man of steel and cling to it never wavering or opening there minds to the Idea there is room for change, we will all see what happens in september when the dc universe get a reboot and se how much our favorite hero in blue and red changes.

True Blue 211

also in the early days superman couldn't fly Both of these things were brought back into main stream via Smallville. as for the debates and arguing that went on over Brandon and Tom you can see proofe of thease by going to youtube and surfing other comic sites. I do agree that a good number of fans pick thier favorite version of the man of steel and cling to it never wavering or opening there minds to the Idea there is room for change, we will all see what happens in september when the dc universe get a reboot and se how much our favorite hero in blue and red changes.

True Blue 211
okay how many smallville fans were not superman fans first ? this question is ment for those members who got into smallville without being into superman first? not into the comics , books, movies or cartoons or live action superman tv shows prior to them becoming fans of smallville.

Jump to Forum: