Print Thread
Which DC relaunch titles will you be reading?
Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

Here's to hoping we continue to have some good detective work next month in this title was well as Batman and DC.

Did we see any detective work in Detective Comics? As far as I recall, only at the end of Batman #1 does the World's Greatest Detective actually detect.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

a_cunning_disguise
I started with 25, these are the ones that have made it to #2:

Action Comics
All Star Western
Animal Man
Aquaman (this is mainly because my girlfriend likes the character)
Batman
Batwing (mainly for the art, which was astonishing)
Detective Comics
DC Presents Deadman (will see what happens after the Deadman run)
Flash (The last page got me just hooked enough to come back for #2)
Grifter (gonna see where this goes in the next 2)
Justice League
Resurrection Man (gonna see where this goes in the next 2)
Superboy
Supergirl
Superman
Swamp Thing
Voodoo (This has another 2 issues to hook me)

So from having 7-8 on my pull list, I've now got 17. If a significant number of people have done similar, then DC's plan has worked perfectly.

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

>Zaniah wrote:

Here's to hoping we continue to have some good detective work next month in this title was well as Batman and DC.

Did we see any detective work in Detective Comics? As far as I recall, only at the end of Batman #1 does the World's Greatest Detective actually detect.

We didn't have any in dc 1.... I'm just hoping we do.

Hypoxic
Like a_cunning_disguise has done, I'd be interested in seeing which titles have been added to everyone's pull lists.

One's I'm definitely adding (in order of release):

Action Comics
Animal Man
Red Lanterns
Swamp Thing
Demon Knights
Superboy
Green Lantern Corps
The Flash
I, Vampire
Justice League Dark
Superman
Teen Titans

Titles I'm going to give the second issue a shot to completely win me over or throw me off entirely:

Detective Comics
Suicide Squad
Batman
Justice League
All-Star Western
Aquaman
The Fury of Firestorm

Titles I'm considering picking up and waiting on reviews for the #2's:

Deathstroke
Green Lantern
Captain Atom
Green Lantern: New Guardians
The Savage Hawkman
Voodoo

Titles I'm showing no mercy to:

Resurrection Man
DC Universe Presents (until the first arc is over anyway)
The Dark Knight
_____

baalroo
My top picks:

Animal Man
Action Comics
Swamp Thing
Batman
Batgirl
All-Star Western
Justice League Dark
Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Sgt. Rock and the Men of War

^ Those are all titles that are at the top of their game IMO and offer a high quality reading experience in nearly every aspect. These are the titles that aren't just good in comparison to the other "52," but rather that I feel are great first issues just in general.

Good but not Great:

Nightwing
Batwing
Superman
Supergirl
Batwoman
Demon Knights
I, Vampire
Ressurection Man
Batman and Robin
Aquaman

^ These I enjoyed enough that I'll continue reading them, but I probably wouldn't actually BUY them and I'm not convinced yet that I'll still be following them in a few months.

TERRIBLE:

Static Shock
Justice League
Hawk & Dove
Legion of Super-Heroes
Legion Lost

^ I couldn't even make it through most of these.

Anything I didn't mention I thought was 'meh'

Edited by baalroo on 04/10/2011 21:06

Zaniah
Hypoxic wrote:

Like a_cunning_disguise has done, I'd be interested in seeing which titles have been added to everyone's pull lists.

See Below

>Zaniah wrote:

>Zaniah wrote:

Action Comics
Batman
Batman and Robin
Justice League
Superman

Maybe GL, Nightwing

I don't see Superman/Batman on the relaunch list...and I don't see it in the upcoming comics section at DC or I would be listing that.

I have revised my Pull list, right now I'm pulling

Action - Very Good
Batman
Detective - Great, really...people need to read this
Justice League
Superboy
Superman

I might be picking up GL, and DC Universe presents since deadman is on the cover. I'm very new to the idea of Deadman, but I really like how he works.

Well, my pull list is still as it is above, but I'll be reading

Action
All-Star Western
Batman
Batman and Robin
Detective
DC Universe Presents
Green Lantern
Justice League
Superboy
Superman

After the first arcs are complete...I'll probably drop down to just

For Sure:

Action
1 Possibly 2 of the Batman Family above
Superboy
Superman

Possibly

All-Star Western
JL

Hypoxic
Red Lanterns #2 was pretty good, about as good as I found #1. I hope the series can keep its direction after this initial arc, because I think it has the dangerous potential to be a rather limited series.

I like it, and I really dig Atrocitus as an anti-villain, so here's hoping it can keep the ball rolling.

A very respectable 3 out of 5.
_____

a_cunning_disguise
Got Detective Comics #2. Think I'm going to cancel that one. It seems that shock tactics and gore can now replace plot and character in that title. Dropping Dark Knight but keeping Batman for now. And Batwing, which is also relying on shock and gore but is so beautiful to look at that I'm gonna stick with it.

Thought Swamp Thing #2 was disappointing. It felt a bit contrived. Gonna stick around to see what happens though. Swamp Thing is one of my favourite characters so I'll stick with him even when his stories are poor (see also Superman lol).

I'm enjoying this Animal Man run a lot.

But Action #2 is the pick of the week by an absolute mile this time round.

Hypoxic

>a_cunning_disguise wrote:

Got Detective Comics #2. Think I'm going to cancel that one. It seems that shock tactics and gore can now replace plot and character in that title. Dropping Dark Knight but keeping Batman for now. And Batwing, which is also relying on shock and gore but is so beautiful to look at that I'm gonna stick with it.

Thought Swamp Thing #2 was disappointing. It felt a bit contrived. Gonna stick around to see what happens though. Swamp Thing is one of my favourite characters so I'll stick with him even when his stories are poor (see also Superman lol).

I'm enjoying this Animal Man run a lot.

But Action #2 is the pick of the week by an absolute mile this time round.

I didn't bother with Detective Comics #2, but I'll give it a shot in a month's time when the digital price drops. I've already said it a bunch of times, but Batman is sucking the ink right off the pages in the relaunch. If Batman #2 doesn't please, I may not have any Batman titles on my pull list. I read Batwoman. It as decent, with a nice creep factor as part of the plot, but I don't think I'm willing to follow it.

I liked Swamp Thing #2, but it was flat compared to #1. It was wordy, to be certain, but I think this will be the nature of this series. #2 is a history lesson. I love the establishment of a culture within the Parliament of Trees. It's a bit topsy turvy in telling the story. Honestly, I'm still not entirely certain how the Green saved Holland without making him Swamp Thing, while copying his consciousness. I understand that the Green replicated Holland's consciousness and injected it into another Swamp Thing via the bio-restorative formula (it took me a while to get that admittedly...) because Holland's body was burned, but just how exactly did Holland come back to life? I hope this gets explained because I'm a little lost on it all. Much of it still seems inexplicable, such as the Swamp Thing's vines allowing Holland to see images. I think it would be great to incorporate and explain an hallucinogen that feeds Holland the visions. Swamp Thing is a story of flora, nature fiction, as it were, so I'd like to see things explained in a natural way.

I'm liking the creepy mystery of the stories so far though, keeping us in the dark to just when exactly Holland will become Swamp Thing.

Hands down, though, Swamp Thing #2 has the best art of this week's releases.

Animal Man #2 was outstanding. I'm loving this series so far, and actually how it seems to tie into Swamp Thing in terms of content and tone.

I have to say, too, that Action Comics #2 was the best release this week.
_____

baalroo
I decided to just go ahead and do a quick score for each of the 52 titles. These are based solely on the quality of the first issue, and I've tried not to take into account my hopes for the series as a whole.

Animal Man 10
Action Comics 9.5
Sgt. Rock and the Men of War 8.5
Swamp Thing 8.5
Batgirl 8
All-Star Western 8
Batman 8
Batman & Robin 8
Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. 8

Aquaman 7.5
Demon Knights 7.5
Supergirl 7.5
Justice League International 7
Batwing 7
Detective Comics 7
Green Arrow 7
I, Vampire 7
Justice League Dark 7
Nightwing 7
Superboy 7
Wonder Woman 7
Captain Atom 6.5
Batwoman 6.5
Flash 6.5
Resurrection Man 6.5
Superman 6.5
DC Universe Presents 6
Mister Terrific 6
Red Lanterns 6

Red Hood and the Outlaws 5.5
Voodoo 5.5
Deathstroke 5.5
Blue Beetle 5.5
Stormwatch 5.5
Green Lantern Corp 5
OMAC 5
Birds of Prey 5
Green Lantern: New Gaurdians 5
Batman: The Dark Knight 4.5
Catwoman 4.5
Teen Titans 4.5
Grifter 4.5
Fury of Firestorm 4
Suicide Squad 4

Green Lantern 3.5
Savage Hawkman 3
Blackhawks 2
Justice Leage 2
Static Shock 2
Legion of Super-Heroes 1.5
Legion Lost 1.5
Hawk & Dove 1

If anyone is interested in why I scored a particular title like I did (I doubt it) just ask and I'll give a brief synopsis of my opinions on the book.

Hypoxic
Demon Knights #2 was pure greatness. With this second issue, the title is shaping up to be among my favourites so far. The characters are all simply excellent. I've always liked Vandal Savage, but Cornell has given us the best version of the character I can remember. With lines like "Die, tasty rare creatures!" how can you not love him? Madame Xanadu is among my favourite characters as well, and the relaunch also has the best version of her in character history.

The art is excellent, some of the best in the relaunch.

I love fantasy adventure, and Demon Knights is delivering some major goods. It has magic, grit, humour, dragons, swords, wit, charm, charms, incantations, action, and of course Etrigan. I'm loving it.

4 out of 5
_____

NeoRanger
Batwoman's picking up. Batgirl #2 was kind of disappointing. Barbara's characterization is still great, as are the action sequences (despite and even partly because Babs won't shut up during those), but the revelation of the villain was a huge let-down.

Hypoxic
Suicide Squad #2 was pretty bad. I liked #1 and so decided to give #2 a shot. I still like the team, especially Harley and Diablo, and each character is given at least a panel to shine. All in all, though, the story is just flat, not to mention bizarre. There is such thing as excellent oddness, such as is being displayed in Animal Man and Swamp Thing, but this is just all around weird for the sake of being weird. I don't dig that.

The art looks great when there are close ups. Harley actually looks very attractive. However, when we're shown something in the background, or characters from a distance they all look like something from a Papercutz comic book, the difference being that the art in most Papercutz books suits the atmosphere of the publication. In Suicide Squad, it's just lazy.

Don't think I'll be back for #3.

2 out of 5
_____

NeoRanger
Batman & Robin #2 was *hilarious*. I get what they're trying to do and I'm not against the idea of Bruce trying to be a father to a time-bomb, but the whole prepubescent sidekick deal the guy has going on if you don't pick it apart and try to explain it.

It was an okay read, though, honestly.

Hypoxic
Batman #2 was pretty good. The title itself is still much better than any of the other Batman titles. There's a great self-imposed irony in the story that is very Batman-esque and quite compelling.

The art is still decent, and outright superb when compared to Batman: The Dark Knight.

I think I'm on board for at least this first arc, which is good because I would've been bummed if no Batman title made my pull list.

Very strong 3.5 out of 5.
_____

Hypoxic
I really enjoyed Green Lantern Corps #2. In #1, I really liked the display of Stewart and Gardner trying to re-establish themselves in normal society and lamenting the realization that they can't. This issue, however, leaves that behind and focuses more on the villains. They're a real threat for the Corps and the sense of urgency is projected very well in the action sequences.

The art is good throughout.

I'm a big Green Lantern fan, and this is the GL title I was most excited about, so I'm glad it's delivering the goods. The characters chosen are some of my favourites, like Hannu and Isamot (who gets completely messed up in #2).

I imagine I'm on board for the entire arc.

4 out of 5
_____

Hypoxic
The Flash #2 was great. The idea of Barry discovering how to think faster is intriguing and is played superbly in both story and art. And the art! Manapul is fast becoming one of my favourite artists in comic books today. I like his soft, thin lines, which are beautifully highlighted by the inks. There is a excellent panel showing Flash work his way through a bunch of thugs as he counts to three. There's only red, yellow, and black (with a hint of white) and it all looks glorious.

I'm very glad that Flash is getting some excellent treatment. This is shaping up to be one of the best titles in the New 52.

Rock solid 4 out of 5.
_____

Hypoxic
Ugh, man, Justice League Dark #2 was awful. I can't believe how big a chasm in definitively intriguing storytelling there is between #1 and #2.

There had better be a significant pay off to have us endure the cheap, douche baggery of Deadman and his completely uninteresting relationship with Granger.

There were some interesting bits n' bobs, but nothing as delightfully macabre as #1.

The ending was startling enough, and since #1 was so strong I'm going to give #3 a shot.

I like the art a lot, though characters often look stiff and expressionless.

A very disappointing 2 out of 5
_____

Hypoxic
Now that all the #2's are out of the way, which titles on your pull list are being carried onward and which are being dropped?

From the #2's, I've dropped Suicide Squad and DC Universe Presents (I hate this Deadman, especially in Justice League Dark).

I'm still on the fence with All-Star Western and Fury of Firestorm. Justice League Dark #2 was so outstandingly terrible that I'm a little worried about it's progress. Like I said above, #1 was so strong that I'm going to give #3 a fair shake.

I'm becoming more and more interested in Captain Atom, so I may pick up #1, see how it is, and then give #3 a shot (since Flash is making an appearance).
_____

baalroo
I'm still slinking slowly through the #2s. There are really only a few titles that I'm loving, everything else is starting to feel like more of a chore than entertainment.

Jump to Forum: